Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Owners of black bikes

I like all three of the new Roadmaster colors but partial to black. I haven't owned a black bike before and wanted to hear from current and previous owners of black bikes about satisfaction and regrets of having this color.
Thanks for your comments.
Den

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Den,
I have owned multiple black bikes over the years...and there are 2 things wrong with them. First....as soon as you clean and polish it...it gets dusty/dirty almost immediately. Second...the shinier black the bike is...the lighter the undercoat...typically it is a bright white. So when you get a scratch...or a rock ding...it really shows up and it shows up white.

Even with that...I have never quit owning my black bikes. My current is a 2014 Black Chieftain.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
960 Posts
I own a black Chieftain as well, yes it gets dirty quickly and shows it more than a grey would ( I am thinking the red and blue would be almost as bad) but all in all I am happy with it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have a black Classic and I don't have any problems at all keeping it clean. And shiny. Just turned over 18,000 miles today, so it does get ridden. A quick wipe down, shoot a little Plexus on the chrome and windshield to get the love bugs off and she's ready to go...

·
Founding member
954 Posts
I restore old cars for a hobby. One good thing is black is the easiest color to touch up. Would show body work the most so you had to be good. I restored a 1970 Charger RT440 triple black. Currently working on a 1964 Impala SS327 convertible triple black. People think I'm hung up on the color. Love old muscle cars painted loud colors. Sublime, Hemi Orange, Grabber Blue. Prefer dark colors on motorcycles but go with what you like.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,780 Posts
Agree with all of the above. Black either looks awesome or awful, no in-between. I have two black cars and spend a lot of time keeping them pretty. I decided to go with the Springfield Blue on my Chieftain, but still clean it as often as I would a black bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"Black" is like a mirror. To my taste it just sets a bike off, the classic look. I've had many black bikes over the years, somehow I'm always drawn back to them. My 2014 Vintage is black. I just thought the color really made the tan leather "pop". A tip... Because black is like a mirror, it can show light scratches in the clear coat from time to time. If you want to keep the bike looking "as new", use Meguirars Swirl X. What a great product. It will remove any of those light scratches and it's mild enough so you really can't make the situation worse as you can with some compounds.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Black and Chrome! There's nothing more beautiful. But they arevhard to keep cleaned, 30 ft and it shows the dust...

·
Early Joiner
177 Posts
I have a black Classic, black Cross Country, black Corvette and 2 black Yukons. All my bikes have been black so I guess I'm partial to black vehicles. To me there is nothing as striking as black and chrome. Sure they get dirty easier but damn they look great clean. Just my opinion and yes black does show swirl marks much more distinctly than other colors.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have also owned many black bikes and nothing looks better than black and chrome. I have a 2015 Chieftain "black" and wouldn't have it any other way. Shining is therapy!

·
Registered
723 Posts
White is the absence of color. Black is the combination of all colors. If you buy black you actually have all colors. Mine is black and all of my previous bikes (with the exception of 1) have been black. Plus black is simply the fastest color. All Indian owners know this. Uh oh, now I've kicked the hornets nest:rolleyes:

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,780 Posts
Plus black is simply the fastest color. All Indian owners know this. Uh oh, now I've kicked the hornets nest:rolleyes:
I am way, way beyond trying to be the fastest...

Two bulls were on top of a rise looking down at all the cows in the herd. The younger bull says, "Hey Ol' Timer, let's run down there and have our way with one of those cows."
The old bull just looks at him and says, "Let's walk down and have our way with all of them."

I'm just walkin'...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts