Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't seen a whole lot on these, so I decided to post a thread in the event someone else is looking for some resources.

For good measure, I painted the stock muffler bracket black to blend in. I don't want to cut it off incase I ever want to put the stock mufflers back on or a different exhaust system. In person, they give it a nice chopped custom look. Combined with my mini-apes, they have that custom bobber, garage-built look that I'm going for.

On a scale of 1-10; 1 being stock and 10 being open headers with no mufflers, they are probably about an 8 to 8.5. For fun I did start the bike up with open headers and there's no way anyone could survive that. It actually echoed inside my helmet and was unbearable. The baffles on the Biltwells help tone it down a surprising amount and do a good job of giving it an actual exhaust sound rather than a loud-cracking open-header drag car. The sound is nice and throaty and it roars when you open the throttle.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Rim Car

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Rim Car

The audio equalized in my phone. I should have spoken during the video for comparison. This gives you a good idea what they sound like as far as tone, but doesn't really do the sound justice as they are much louder and impressive in person.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for posting, they look pretty minimalist but don't think the dog approves!
They are. I couldn't believe how small they were when they arrived. You feel like you're barely putting anything back on the bike.

Haha, no, he is not a fan.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll bet that they are super loud live.
Biltwell Stinger Mini Muffler - YouTube
I was really surprised how much the baffles quieted them down from the open headers. I'd say they are probably just as loud as any Harley with a good set of pipes - maybe a tad louder. As I said in the OP, if a 10 is open headers, these mufflers tone them down to about an 8-8.5.

I've found, though, that everyone has their own ideas of what loud is and what is too loud. For me, this is how a bike should sound. You should be able to hear it coming and when you're sitting next to it in traffic.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any videos up yet?
I will post one by this evening for you.

No one had posted in here by the end of the day so I didn't think there was any interest. Then the family was sick on Friday and I normally don't get on over weekends.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome! They sound great! Any popping or other engine issues since putting them on or does the engine run the same?
No popping at all actually, not even on deceleration. I was really surprised, she is running really well and sounds great.

Reactions: Cbrut

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't seen a whole lot on these, so I decided to post a thread in the event someone else is looking for some resources.

For good measure, I painted the stock muffler bracket black to blend in. I don't want to cut it off incase I ever want to put the stock mufflers back on or a different exhaust system. In person, they give it a nice chopped custom look. Combined with my mini-apes, they have that custom bobber, garage-built look that I'm going for.

On a scale of 1-10; 1 being stock and 10 being open headers with no mufflers, they are probably about an 8 to 8.5. For fun I did start the bike up with open headers and there's no way anyone could survive that. It actually echoed inside my helmet and was unbearable. The baffles on the Biltwells help tone it down a surprising amount and do a good job of giving it an actual exhaust sound rather than a loud-cracking open-header drag car. The sound is nice and throaty and it roars when you open the throttle.

View attachment 38432

View attachment 38433

The audio equalized in my phone. I should have spoken during the video for comparison. This gives you a good idea what they sound like as far as tone, but doesn't really do the sound justice as they are much louder and impressive in person.

Did you cut off the mounts/brackets on the mini muffler? Are the clamps the only thing holding the mufflers in place? Also, I read your comment and mentioned it had the baffles in it. Are the baffles in the muffler when you took that video? If so, then it has an amazing sound but imagine how loud it would be without it which is more amazing! Lol. Thanks and great looking Scout!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Did you cut off the mounts/brackets on the mini muffler? Are the clamps the only thing holding the mufflers in place? Also, I read your comment and mentioned it had the baffles in it. Are the baffles in the muffler when you took that video? If so, then it has an amazing sound but imagine how loud it would be without it which is more amazing! Lol. Thanks and great looking Scout!
I did not cut the brackets off. When I was researching I was worried about that too. They can be rotated down and back to be hidden from sight. You don't see them and they don't come in contact with anything. The clamps are the only thing holding them on, but you seriously don't need anything else; they are that small. There is no weight or stress on the headers.

The baffles are in and will stay in, haha. As I said in my initial post, I couldn't resist screwing around when I had the stock mufflers off, so I fired it up and took it for a spin. It was ungodly loud. It echoed in my helmet and I don't think anyone could stand that for more than a few minutes and I'm young and like loud, so that's saying something. The baffles do a good job of bringing it down to a level that someone who wants a loud bike will have their need for engine noise fulfilled without regretting it. I will be keeping them on and I've ridden quite a bit with them without a second of regret. Maybe the only time I cringe is that first half-mile out of my development at 6:30 in the morning because I do feel kinda like a jerk, but I'm out of their hair in less than 5 minutes. After that it's back roads to work and I'm playing a solo v-twin rock concert for me, myself, and I, and maybe a few groundhogs.

EDIT: ...and thanks for the compliments, i really appreciate it.

Reactions: carval23

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did not cut the brackets off. When I was researching I was worried about that too. They can be rotated down and back to be hidden from sight. You don't see them and they don't come in contact with anything. The clamps are the only thing holding them on, but you seriously don't need anything else; they are that small. There is no weight or stress on the headers.

The baffles are in and will stay in, haha. As I said in my initial post, I couldn't resist screwing around when I had the stock mufflers off, so I fired it up and took it for a spin. It was ungodly loud. It echoed in my helmet and I don't think anyone could stand that for more than a few minutes and I'm young and like loud, so that's saying something. The baffles do a good job of bringing it down to a level that someone who wants a loud bike will have their need for engine noise fulfilled without regretting it. I will be keeping them on and I've ridden quite a bit with them without a second of regret. Maybe the only time I cringe is that first half-mile out of my development at 6:30 in the morning because I do feel kinda like a jerk, but I'm out of their hair in less than 5 minutes. After that it's back roads to work and I'm playing a solo v-twin rock concert for me, myself, and I, and maybe a few groundhogs.

EDIT: ...and thanks for the compliments, i really appreciate it.
Funny but soon as you replied back, I already got the mini cannons I bought at Revzilla and installed it. Sucker was easy to install and looks perfect on the Sixty. Sound was A-MAZING! Good thing I went with these instead of the Bassani or Trask. Well worth it and wayyyyyyyy cheaper. Thanks for your post, man. My wife is happy I didn't spend way too much on my build this time around and I love the bobber look on it. Pics to come once I am done on mine. It looks dope already with white walls on it!!!!! Here's a preview taken before I installed the cannons. Waiting on a LOT of parts from coat.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny but soon as you replied back, I already got the mini cannons I bought at Revzilla and installed it. Sucker was easy to install and looks perfect on the Sixty. Sound was A-MAZING! Good thing I went with these instead of the Bassani or Trask. Well worth it and wayyyyyyyy cheaper. Thanks for your post, man. My wife is happy I didn't spend way too much on my build this time around and I love the bobber look on it. Pics to come once I am done on mine. It looks dope already with white walls on it!!!!! Here's a preview taken before I installed the cannons. Waiting on a LOT of parts from coat.
That is a sick build you got going on there. Love the whitewalls on the all black bike. The cannons are going to look awesome on there. Definitely post up some pics when you're done.

·
Registered
955 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
thanks for the video!

did you weigh the Biltwell Cannons before installing? Interested in the weight saving.
Sorry, I didn't weigh them beforehand. I think I remember reading somewhere that you save maybe 11 pounds or so. They are definitely much lighter than stock since it is really just a chromed sleeve big enough to accommodate the baffle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
While searching for a replacement for my butt-ugly universal slip-ons, I came across the Stingers and the Cannons. These seem to be a great value for the sound and the look. Google search brought me to this thread, and your videos and opinions really help. Thanks for taking the time to review them!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts