Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rider
1,568 Posts
I’d have to see pictures and the crash diagram. It’s standard for a defense attorney to hire a crash reconstruction firm or expert on something like this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Reading the article in full, seems as though bike rider and truck driver were under the influence of a substance.
Either way, many lives in ruin as a result.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course there are lawyers and a trial involved so both sides are going to study’s and slant issues there way. But if biker #1 really did have an alcohol content level of 13 1/2 percent (compared to the legal limit of 8%) I wonder what the intoxication level of the other bikers - deceased and otherwise - might have been? Totally speculative, and I don’t mean to cast aspersions on any of them. Could be this is a defense ploy/ exaggeration. But IF it’s true, it plays right into the preference of many in the forum who don’t enjoy group rides, poker runs, and etc.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,818 Posts
I'd say the lawyers will have to sort that all out. The rest is a lot like a chess game.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd say the lawyers will have to sort that all out. The rest is a lot like a chess game.
Not the lawyers, but the judge and jury. This will not help anyone that is hurting because of this incident.

·
Rider
418 Posts
Not the lawyers, but the judge and jury. This will not help anyone that is hurting because of this incident.
Not sure about that, the kid thats in jail for manslaughter might just get help if in fact it turns out the bikers were at fault.

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
The lawyer forgot to mention the part about the truck driver having a suspended license.That must have slipped the his mind. I knew and rode with Al Mazza when he was just a kid and bought his first motorcycle way back in the middle 70's.I also knew and rode with his dad [Al senior] back in the late 60's.His dad was a good friend of mine and also big on motorcycles [which is where his son ,little Alby , got it from]. His Dads' choice was the Triumph Bonneville,which was modified for performance purposes.Anyways,,IMO,I hope they hang the bastard!! Dave!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
A tragedy all around. It's interesting to argue who's at fault, but we all have to accept consequences for our behavior. Riding a motorcycle or driving a car for that matter with a blood alcohol of 0.135% is just freaking stupid.
It's way past time to address the issue of drinking and riding.
From Alcohol Treatment - Resources on Alcoholism & Rehab Centers | Alcohol.org
  • 0.10%: At this BAC, reaction time and control will be reduced, speech will be slurred, thinking and reasoning are slower, and the ability to coordinate your arms and legs is poor.
Flame away...

·
Rider
550 Posts
If the biker had a 13 1/2 percent level he couldn't have caused it. He would be long dead!

·
Rider
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
13 1/2 % is less than half of what it would take to kill most people, though your mileage may vary, and effects on driving etc. not considered.

·
Founding member
2,171 Posts
13 1/2 % is less than half of what it would take to kill most people, though your mileage may vary, and effects on driving etc. not considered.
Actually, the rider's BAC was 0.135 ... which equals 0.135% not 13.5%.
The fatal BAC for the average person (not a heavy alcoholic) is approximately 0.4%. The legal limit is 0.08 (= 0.08%).

Blood alcohol content - Wikipedia

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
If ya saw the aftermath of the incident,[it was all over the TV and the internet] then you also had to notice that the truck/trailer knocked down all those bikers like they were bowling pins,and not just one bike!!And after looking at the carnage,it's amazing they all didn't die.

·
Rider
418 Posts
Even if the motorcyclist was intoxicated, he could still have no fault in the accident.
That's very true, and the same can be said for the truck driver. No licesens and intoxicated does not automatically make you the cause of the crash. Either way this was tragic and hopefully true justice gets served. If the truck drivers was at fault he should spend a long long time in jail. If the biker was at fault hopefully the truck driver serves his time for DUI but nothing more.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Not sure about that, at least in Cali. For example, am intoxicated driver could get T-Boned by another vehicle(not intoxicated)and the fault goes to the drunk driver. Why? Because the drunk driver is illegal to drive.

Reactions: Davetac1

·
Rider
418 Posts
Not sure about that, at least in Cali. For example, am intoxicated driver could get T-Boned by another vehicle(not intoxicated)and the fault goes to the drunk driver. Why? Because the drunk driver is illegal to drive.
Ok well what happens if both drivers are intoxicated? That seems to be what happened here

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
IDK, but my guess is both parties are at fault.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts