Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Roadmaster
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 elite, just purchased it in January, Previous owner had the 585 cams put in without the hi lift springs. I brought to the dealer that had put the cams in and had the springs put in, and the power vision tuner. They also replaced the regulator due to fluctuating voltage. Mentioned the battery could be bad. I took it out for a ride a week before I brought it in, and it started without being on a maintainer. The battery would go dead after a couple days when they had it. They said the negative cable was loose and could have taken out the regulator. I brought it home Saturday, would not turn over on Monday, put the Tender on it over night, All I got was a click out of the starter. Pulled the battery, it did have 12 volts, going to get it load tested tomorrow. It looks like a new drag specialties battery. In my mind the battery should be good. Calling the dealer also to see if there is a ground or anything I can check also. Dont want to bring it back due to them 250 miles away. Looking for ideas.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Is your key fob battery okay? Bike won’t start if key fob battery is dead/weak.

I had a similar recent episode with my 2016, plugged into tender when I stored it in early November. At Christmas I unplugged the tender, tried to start the bike, nothing. Key fob battery okay. Noco genius charger was indicating a battery fault so I bought a new battery, put it in, bike still wouldn’t start. I made plans to rent a trailer and haul the bike to the dealer. While researching this forum (after making appointments for trailer rental and dealer) I read a post about the starter brushes hanging up and to push the bike backwards about 10 feet. I thought, what the heck, I’ve got to push the bike out of the garage to load it in a trailer Anyhow. So I pushed it out, and on the 3rd crank it started. I ordered a new starter, which just arrived and I haven’t had to to install it, but the bike has been starting okay since (1 episode where it struggled a bit, but did crank over). I took the old battery (new last August) to dealership and it tested fine 12.4 volts (not charged and sitting for a month, after trying to start the bike a few times).

Bike engine builder said the new hydraulic lifters he installed tend to bleed off when they sit for a while which could also make my bike hard to start, but I’m thinking weak starter.

·
Registered
2018 Roadmaster
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replaced fob battery twice, even tried to start it with the code. It started fine Saturday at the dealership fine. Loaded onto trailer, hauled home, rolled off trailer, never tried to start it until Monday. Going to have battery tested today, and call dealership to find out if they had to disconnect any wiring when they lowered the engine to put in the valve springs. Hope it is just a bad connection somewhere. Should not be a bad starter, The bike only has 650 miles on it. I have only rode the bike once since I bought it. I have only put 50 miles.

·
Founding member
1,149 Posts
I hate these stories where things are different at the dealership than they were for the owner. Granted you hadn’t owned it long, but if it started after a bit of time off a tender for you, but has some electrical issue once at the dealership.... just doesn’t add up somehow. If you don’t mind, who is the dealer you are going to?
As for your issue, I’d try the suggestion to roll the bike and try to start it. Your starter may be bad, but to me it sounds more like an electrical gremlin, possibly caused by a short..? Or maybe just the loose negative cable that happens sometimes. Sucks to hear this story though.

·
Registered
2018 Roadmaster
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealer is in Bismarck, ND. Calling them this morning to see what was disconnected when they lowered the engine. Give me a starting point to check for loose connections. Having the battery load tested after work, they mentioned the battery may be bad when they had it. Hope that is what it is, but the battery looks like it was just replaced. The shop that had it on consignment sells this battery.

·
Bronze member
3,414 Posts
Do a search on here about the ground to the frame... causes same issue

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Founding member
1,149 Posts
I hope it’s just the ground, or BBC at worst a better. Still sounds a bit off, wonder what they’re going to say.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Is your key fob battery okay? Bike won’t start if key fob battery is dead/weak.
sigh

The FOB battery has absolutely NOTHING to do with the starting and/or the electrical system. The computer looks for the FOB twice: once when the bike is initially powered on, and once when the bike is dropped into 1st gear. If the computer does not find the FOB on initial power-up, the security icon will show on the tachometer, it will display "FOB Not Found" (or similar) on the RC screen, along with a keypad to enter your PIN code if your bike is 2018 or newer. Those of us with 2017 or earlier bikes have to enter our PIN using the turn signal switch. If the FOB is not found, and the PIN is not entered, the bike will shut off. Once you start the engine and drop the bike into gear, and it does not see the FOB again, it will honk the horn three times in 30 seconds, then shut off, unless you enter your PIN or it finds the FOB before 30 seconds elapses. This mostly happens if your FOB is in a jacket pocket or similar that blocks the signal. The antenna is under the seat area, so it can be as simple as having the FOB in the right or left pocket.

Once you start the bike and drop it into gear, you can hand your FOB to a bystander and ride away. It won't look for it again until you power the bike off and try to restart it. If you leave the FOB in the house, you can use your PIN code to bypass the security, then start the bike and ride away. If your bike will not start when you press the start button, then you have a battery issue, starter issue, VCU issue, wiring issue, mechanical issue, or a combination of those four.

·
German Rider
1,678 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
@Kitulu - I stand corrected- I was told that by my dealer the other day when I was in trying to get a new battery for my bike. I’ve learned something but my dealer is beyond help as they know “everything “😉

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
@Kitulu - I stand corrected- I was told that by my dealer the other day when I was in trying to get a new battery for my bike. I’ve learned something but my dealer is beyond help as they know “everything “😉
Your dealer is dumb. That's how I found out how the FOB actually worked. The service manager at my dealer started the bike, and tossed the FOB into a sidecar that they had. I accidentally rode home without it.

Reactions: Black2016RMrider
1 - 12 of 12 Posts