Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Im new to this forum an looking for some advice. SO like an idiot I left my keys in my ignition for over a day on my 2018 scout sixty. The battery was completely dead and not a kick out of anything as expected. However I have now managed to get the battery up to over 10volts but when i tried starting the bike there was still not a kick out of it. I am just wondering if it is possible that iv burnt out my ignition coil or if there is any other damage I could have done? oh and also i tried connecting up a jumper pack directly to the pos and neg of the bike and nothing helped there which leads me to think there is more of an issue then just the batter. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
German Rider
Joined
·
1,649 Posts
Battery is dead. Get a new one. 10V is not enough.

Anything else can/could be possible, but without a functioning battery, you'll never know.

Shit happens, lesson learned. New battery and than we'll see further.

Cu,
Sven
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is dead. Get a new one. 10V is not enough.

Anything else can/could be possible, but without a functioning battery, you'll never know.

Shit happens, lesson learned. New battery and than we'll see further.

Cu,
Sven
Thanks for the response. I just realized the 10v wasnt enough however the bike was definitely trying to light up with such a low voltage which gives me hope. Getting a new battery today so fingers crossed.
 

·
Bronze member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
A fully charged battery is 12.6 volts.[2.1 volts per cell X 6 cells =12.6 volts] Anything below that will not fire the motor up,if it even cranks over,not to mention,other electrical parts can and will be damaged if the voltage is too low .So the bottom line is,ya need a good battery or atleast keep a trickle charger on it when it's not in use.
 

·
German Rider
Joined
·
1,649 Posts
Lights, etc will try to work with 10V, but ECM and especially the starter will do nothing below approx. 11.9V. These newer bikes are very picky about voltage.

Cu,
Sven
 
  • Like
Reactions: TPcreeper

·
Bronze member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
You are absolutely correct!! Available voltage,as it's called in the trade,is the most important part of any electrical system,especially in the automotive world which also includes the motorcycle.If ya don't have the correct amount of voltage,whether it be too much or too little,components will smoke and the vehicle [motorcycle in this case],will NOT run right,if it runs at all!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
A fully charged battery is 12.6 volts.[2.1 volts per cell X 6 cells =12.6 volts] Anything below that will not fire the motor up,if it even cranks over,not to mention,other electrical parts can and will be damaged if the voltage is too low .So the bottom line is,ya need a good battery or atleast keep a trickle charger on it when it's not in use.
My battery went dead even with a trickle on for 4 mo. Is there different amps on trickles? Any amp recommendation?
 

·
Bronze member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
If the battery went dead while on the trickle charger,and assuming the trickle charger you're using is working properly,[ IS IT?? ] then either the battery itself is no good,or,you have a major draw in your electrical system.Battery tenders usually
put out 1.25 amps.Did ya check to make sure everything is turned off?? Have you added any accessories? If so,are they turned off?
 

·
Rider
Joined
·
943 Posts
My battery went dead even with a trickle on for 4 mo. Is there different amps on trickles? Any amp recommendation?
Let's make sure you're using the right device. Is it a trickle charger or a battery maintainer? A trickle charger will ruin a battery and a maintainer will keep a battery topped off. Also if it was a maintainer was it the right one? Some are for gel and some are not for example. So make sure you're using the right one. Or buy one that can be used on any battery like this one.
 

·
Bronze member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
I use a Battery Tender Junior which only puts out 1.25 amps.Infact,I have two of em.I've have had em both for years,and use em every winter when the roads are too crappy to drive on,or anytime my bike,or truck ,or tractor is gonna set for any period of time.The Battery Tender Junior will NOT over charge the battery.Once the battery reaches its' full charge level,the tenders' charge rate drops way down and will only maintain that voltage level unless it drops lower,which is when it will kick on again back to the 1.25 amp charge rate. It has a green and a red indicator light.The red stays on solid and the green light will flash when she's charging.Once the battery is full,the red light goes off and the green light stays on solid to indicate that she's full.And if it sets for any period of time,and the batteries charge drops,the red light will come on solid again and the green light will flash again,until the battery is fully charged again,and will repeat this until ya disconnect it from the battery.Other chargers will NOT do that,and as mentioned,can and will boil the battery to death,meaning,if you're using one of those,ya gotta pay attention so ,as mentioned,it doesn't cook the battery.Don't ask how I know this!! :rolleyes: :oops: Dave!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Agree with Davetac1 battery tender brand or battery tender jr. Brand trickle charger is the way to go. Have used them for years on all my bikes and never had a problem keeping battery charged over long stretches of storage for winter.
 

·
Rider
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
I have been using the Harbor Freight maintainer for years in both the Motorcycle and the Quad.
No issues what so ever
Soild red charge and green float.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top