Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
So my bike won't start. 2016 Scout Sixty. I'm not sure what to make of it and was hoping someone could give me an idea of what to look for?
The battery was on a tender all winter, I rode it about a month ago, parked it and now I got the starter switch and get nothing.
The battery reads 12.4v, headlight works, horn works, when I turn the key, the fuel pump primes, but when I got the starter switch - nothing.
I popped the seat off, opened the fuse box that's above the battery, but I can't tell if any of the crazy OEM fuses are popped.
Any help/direction would be appreciated.
The closest dealer is 45min away, and I'm sure they would keep the bike for a while, I'm trying to avoid that if possible..
Thoughts?

·
Rider
1,122 Posts
Check kill switch first. Ask me how I know. Check your connections. Also batteries may show voltage but still be bad not have enough cranking amps to start the bike. Sometimes you get a sign like a slow crank, sometimes not. If you have a tester it takes a few seconds if not you can take the battery out and have someone test it. Starters have also been known to go bad on those scouts. There is an extended warranty of up to 5 years for them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Verified the emergency stop switch is in run position? Simple mistake, but it's been the problem for many an owner.
Yea I've toggled the red switch on the throttle back n forth thinking maybe a loose connection. When I put it in the run/down position, that's when the fuel pump primes. I hit the started button and get zip.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check kill switch first. Ask me how I know. Check your connections. Also batteries may show voltage but still be bad not have enough cranking amps to start the bike. Sometimes you get a sign like a slow crank, sometimes not. If you have a tester it takes a few seconds if not you can take the battery out and have someone test it. Starters have also been known to go bad on those scouts. There is an extended warranty of up to 5 years for them. View attachment 593209
Ugh. I have a bad feeling it's the starter. I was leaning toward either the starter or something in the starter button melted/busted.
Is the starter the little solenoid thing under the seat above the coolant bottle?

·
Rider
1,122 Posts
Ugh. I have a bad feeling it's the starter. I was leaning toward either the starter or something in the starter button melted/busted.
Is the starter the little solenoid thing under the seat above the coolant bottle?
Doesn’t sound like it, starter should be lower. I have an FTR so I’m assuming your starter is in the same spot. Front bottom end of engine is where mine is.

·
Rider
1,122 Posts
I would get your battery tested and check connections before you condemn the starter though. Do you hear it try to do anything when you try to start it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would get your battery tested and check connections before you condemn the starter though. Do you hear it try to do anything when you try to start it?
Nothing at all when I hit the start button. When I first turn the key, I hear the normal high pitched buzz, light is on. I flip the kill switch down to the run position, fuel pump primes. Bike is in neutral (also tried pulling in the clutch). When I hit the starter black switch, literally nothing. No noise at all. And no draw from the battery when I hit it. When I hit the horn the horn works (and is loud) it draws a bit from the battery according to the meter, then goes back up to 12.28.

·
Rider
1,122 Posts
You could always put a multimeter on the ignition side (smaller wire) of the starter solenoid and see if your getting power down there when you hit the start button. Then put it on the battery cable that goes down to the starter to see if you get power through the solenoid (assuming you have power on the smaller wire). Not sure where the starter solenoid is on the scout. May be that solenoid you were looking at under the seat. On the ftr I believe it’s right next to the starter behind the battery.

·
Rider
943 Posts
Battery should 12.6 but your 12.28 should still start the bike. Do you have a voltmeter? Check for voltage at the starter when you push the start button. Check fuses and relays

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it. It is the starter solenoid (the little thing above the coolant bottle under the seat.) I followed the wire from the starter back to that solenoid which is the black ground. Other side is red positive connected to the battery. I put a jumper wire connecting +/- & it fired right up. Now to call and get one. Thanks for the help gang!

·
Rider
1,122 Posts
Might be one of the bikes safety features preventing the starting. Are you getting power to the solenoid to close it? Should be a smaller power wire that closes that solenoid to basically make the connection you made. You have two bigger wires (one from battery one to starter). Then you should have two smaller wires (a power from the ignition switch to close the solenoid and a ground). You need to make sure your getting power and ground to the solenoid to the smaller wires. You confirmed the starter is good by bypassing the solenoid but you need to confirm the solenoid is bad or good. You may not be getting power down there to close that solenoid. Due to a safety feature preventing starting.
Here is a picture of the solenoid on the ftr, I’d check fuses and relays. Also a few safety features that’ll disable the starting (side stand etc)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Might be one of the bikes safety features preventing the starting. Are you getting power to the solenoid to close it? Should be a smaller power wire that closes that solenoid to basically make the connection you made. You have two bigger wires (one from battery one to starter). Then you should have two smaller wires (a power from the ignition switch to close the solenoid and a ground). You need to make sure your getting power and ground to the solenoid to the smaller wires. You confirmed the starter is good by bypassing the solenoid but you need to confirm the solenoid is bad or good. You may not be getting power down there to close that solenoid. Due to a safety feature preventing starting.
Here is a picture of the solenoid on the ftr, I’d check fuses and relays. Also a few safety features that’ll disable the starting (side stand etc)
View attachment 593230
That is the solenoid, except under the seat on the Scout.. I'll check it out more tomorrow morn before I call the dealer. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts