Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Rider
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Springfield. 15Kish miles, oil changed 2K miles ago.

Sounded a little off when I went to get gas but didn't think anything of it. Once my sister showed up we went out and after my headset died I noticed my bike was kinda making a lugging sound? Like it seemed like it was running a little rough as if the spark plugs were bad or it was getting enough air. I've got a wimmer intake so it's completely open so air should have been fine.

The only way I can describe it was the sound was like when your bike is lugging up a hill and your 1 gear too high, but it was resonating the sound.

At one point I had to make a pretty sharp turn so I down shifted into 2nd gear and slowed down, and mid turn my bike shut down on me (rather low rpms). Pulled clutch and started it back up and started right away.

Never had this happen before. I don't really have a mechanic around to look at it because I'm in Madison, WI and the only local Indian I have is Engelhart and they're stupid as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck over there and charge a hellacious price, I can be mechanically inclined depending on what it is, won't see me taking an engine apart to look at stuff but I did put on the entire ehxaust system, intake, headlights etc, stuff like that is easy for me.

So....what should I be looking at. I also got no codes or errors. I'm going to clean my air filter tonight and just hope it's so dirty it was struggling for air.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
Hope you get it sorted.
Have you run any injector cleaners through it? Maybe some bad previous fuel had it gummed.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hope you get it sorted.
Have you run any injector cleaners through it? Maybe some bad previous fuel had it gummed.
I haven't but absolutely thought about doing that. So that's 1 thing on the list. I can just buy any normal injector cleaner right? Doesn't need to be formulated for bike engines?

Any codes pop up??
Literally answered that in the last sentence.

·
Rider
747 Posts
"Sounded a little off when I went to get gas but didn't think anything of it." So it was running rough before you filled up? How full was the tank before you filled up? Maybe you got a tank of bad gas? I have only gotten bad gas once, and man did car ever run like crap. I put some HEET in the tank and it cleared it right up. As previously mentioned, maybe some injector cleaner would be a good thing to run through. You might also have a look at your plugs and make sure they aren't carboned up and look good.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This might be a long shot, but take the gas cap off and see if there might be something under the chrome part of the gas cap that might be keeping it from venting properly.

I had a different bike that had engine issues and one time filling it I dropped the cap and saw spiders had built a nest that looked like cotton under the cover. Some poking at it with a pick and flushing with carb cleaned got it out of there...

·
Rider
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Sounded a little off when I went to get gas but didn't think anything of it." So it was running rough before you filled up? How full was the tank before you filled up? Maybe you got a tank of bad gas? I have only gotten bad gas once, and man did car ever run like crap. I put some HEET in the tank and it cleared it right up. As previously mentioned, maybe some injector cleaner would be a good thing to run through. You might also have a look at your plugs and make sure they aren't carboned up and look good.
I'd say about just over 1/4 tank when I went to fill it up. What's the easy way to get the spark plug wires off? Do I have to lift the tank up?

This might be a long shot, but take the gas cap off and see if there might be something under the chrome part of the gas cap that might be keeping it from venting properly.

I had a different bike that had engine issues and one time filling it I dropped the cap and saw spiders had built a nest that looked like cotton under the cover. Some poking at it with a pick and flushing with carb cleaned got it out of there...
I'll go take a peek now.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well wasn't the air filter unfortunately. Under the gas cap is fine.

Wish I knew how to explain the sound better. Might try getting it on my phone but I doubt it.

I guess that cranking over sound when you first start the bike up, is what the heads sound like at higherish RPMS? That whiny chug sound? Maybe?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Do you stop at hte same station to get gas ??

Maybe try draining the tank and getting some from a different place...

There's been instances of a tanker driver putting diesel fuel in the wrong tank.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
been using the same gas station for most of the life I've had the bike. If it was deisel the bike wouldn't even start up so it's not that.

·
Rider
1,196 Posts
What you’re describing could be electrical or computer related. But also could be bad gas. Bad gas can cause anything from engine damage to sputtering, Engine pinging and other noises. And the rough running could cause that lugging you’re describing. Doesn’t have to be diesel. Causes of gas contamination can occur at the refinery, during delivery or at the gas station. High water content caused by delivery or storage issues such as a corroded underground tank or an insufficiently sealed vehicle gas cap are among the culprits. Sediment or other particles not captured by the fuel nozzle at the pump that build up over time on engine parts and clog fuel injectors is another. Lastly, filling up with a lower octane than your vehicle requires or using old gas that has broken down over time also cause problems. But if it is bad gas, other customers of the gas station would have similar complaints.

·
Rider
747 Posts
What's the easy way to get the spark plug wires off? Do I have to lift the tank up?
Rear plug is easy to pull. The front is a little tighter due to the tank clearance. I used a 3/8 plug socket, and about a 4" extension. Would have had room to pull the plug, but went ahead and lifted the rear of the tank about 4" which gave the front more clearance.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What you’re describing could be electrical or computer related. But also could be bad gas. Bad gas can cause anything from engine damage to sputtering, Engine pinging and other noises. And the rough running could cause that lugging you’re describing. Doesn’t have to be diesel. Causes of gas contamination can occur at the refinery, during delivery or at the gas station. High water content caused by delivery or storage issues such as a corroded underground tank or an insufficiently sealed vehicle gas cap are among the culprits. Sediment or other particles not captured by the fuel nozzle at the pump that build up over time on engine parts and clog fuel injectors is another. Lastly, filling up with a lower octane than your vehicle requires or using old gas that has broken down over time also cause problems. But if it is bad gas, other customers of the gas station would have similar complaints.
Is there a fix for bad gas other than pumping it out? I wouldn't think that would necessarily be the issue. The gas I had in it was from a week prior and was making that sound on the way to the pump, at least i think it was, it's been a long day.

Rear plug is easy to pull. The front is a little tighter due to the tank clearance. I used a 3/8 plug socket, and about a 4" extension. Would have had room to pull the plug, but went ahead and lifted the rear of the tank about 4" which gave the front more clearance.
I'll give that a looksy. Thanks!

·
German rider
723 Posts
Have a look at wiring harness of the Knock Sensor.
If ECM thinks 'should have taken some 15 degrees off but do not talk about it' and after restart it will be fine again... since next bad idea will be introduced from Knock Sensor and its wiring.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have a look at wiring harness of the Knock Sensor.
If ECM thinks 'should have taken some 15 degrees off but do not talk about it' and after restart it will be fine again... since next bad idea will be introduced from Knock Sensor and its wiring.
I don't know where that is or what a knock sensor is

·
German rider
723 Posts
I don't know where that is or what a knock sensor is
This sensor detects preignition due timing mismatch, fuel, temperatur or other related conditions.
With this information the ECM retards timing from -0.75 up to ... clearly tangible values to prevent engine damage.
This will not set automaticaly the MIL.
Sometime sensors went crazy, and at the TS111 the wire is placed crazy.
This sensor is positioned between the two cylinders and it wiring sometimes contacts the cooling fins so the isolations melts and electic shortages occour.
If this will be detected as a "signal" and not as a shortage ECM corrects timing as normal but do not send MIL.
And sometimes ECM readjust hard with out any MIL.
I felt it mostly as I rode LOG-Data with detection preset lowered down to 20% Load. Strange.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll check that, but wouldn't that throw an check engine? Given how sensitive these bikes are too little issues?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Fortunately, I haven't had this with my '18 SDH, but I certainly have with my other Indian! Twice now I received bad gas, after hours of cleaning and changing out ignition components, even rebuilding the carb... it was the gas, usually water contamination (but I have had gas w/Diesel in before as well - one can smell that and it didn't affect performance). Just what you described is how my Chief ran... "chugging" as though you're a gear too high but you're not. Dying at low rpm. Sounds all too familiar. Have you tried HEET yet?

·
Rider
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have not, was kind of building up a list of things to do all at once since I park in a parking lot (bike has a nice expensive cover) and working in it with no shade is a biiiiitch.

But that does make me feel better about it. I'll pick some up here today or so.

Did it have kind of a rough sound to it too on the top end I guess you could say? Like is was slugging down?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Absolutely, higher rpm's sounded like one of the plugs was bad.
I don't care how good the plugs are, they can't ignite water. ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts