Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we're always supposed to keep both hands on the handlebar (before anyone reverts with that as the solution).

Mine pulls itself to the right.

Has anyone else found the bike pulling to the right or the left when your hands are taken off the handlebar?

How do I correct this? Seating position? Alignment?

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
Possible fork alignment? I don't know for crap about MC mechanics.
I was told, years ago, that shops would purposely set wheel alignment on cars to pull to the right slightly, in case one fell asleep at the wheel. I suppose for our OZ'ie brothers on here it would be to the left.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
My Vintage is so balanced I can let got with both hands and lean L or R to steer.
Not that I do that. Take the bike in to the wrench, because it is out of line.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Possible fork alignment? I don't know for crap about MC mechanics.
I was told, years ago, that shops would purposely set wheel alignment on cars to pull to the right slightly, in case one fell asleep at the wheel. I suppose for our OZ'ie brothers on here it would be to the left.
Cars were typically set up ( pre front wheel drive ) with a slight lead to the left to compensate for the crown of the road. This is no longer done though. ( I was a front end mechanic for 30 years. )

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
Crown on the road? (that is, the pavement is highest at the center-line and slopes to each side - find a level parking lot and see if it does the same thing).
--- Randall

·
5,115 Posts
In the past I've seen similar problems that were caused by one of three things:
1. Rear wheel alignment
2. Loose/tight steering head
3. Worn steering head bearing
Quickest and easiest would be the rear wheel alignment. I doubt that a new bike would have worn bearings but it is possible that you got a bad set, though not very likely. There are several how to videos and instructions on line for checking the steering head.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I've seen this issue before and believe Randall and Goatlocker have the most likely causes ID'd. When I have experienced it, it was on a new bike and the front-to-rear wheel alignment was off (the most common cause I've seen and it was traced back to the factory not setting up the bike correctly). On another new bike, I found that when the factory had installed the fork stanchions into the triple clamps without letting them align properly, my bike pulled to one side (they must be aligned vertically and on a perpendicular plane to the front axle). Any misalignment will cause stress on the forks, axle, front braking, wheel bearings, etc., All that can result in steering that pulls one way or another. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've seen this issue before and believe Randall and Goatlocker have the most likely causes ID'd. When I have experienced it, it was on a new bike and the front-to-rear wheel alignment was off (the most common cause I've seen and it was traced back to the factory not setting up the bike correctly). On another new bike, I found that when the factory had installed the fork stanchions into the triple clamps without letting them align properly, my bike pulled to one side (they must be aligned vertically and on a perpendicular plane to the front axle). Any misalignment will cause stress on the forks, axle, front braking, wheel bearings, etc., All that can result in steering that pulls one way or another. Hope this helps.
Mine tracks straight, but I did notice the indicator marks on the swing arm are not in the same position on both sides. The dealer aligns by front to rear axle measurement if it was mine I would have the dealer check it again.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
In the past I've seen similar problems that were caused by one of three things:
1. Rear wheel alignment
2. Loose/tight steering head
3. Worn steering head bearing

Number one is the most likely suspect.

In a reason article I read on this forum, the Scout is factory set up 1/4 in front to back misalignment for some unknown reason!
Maybe someone will step up and find the article I read that indicates the factory misalignment!
At the time I read the article it was unclear to me if it was a factory setting or just the bike that the tester was riding! (????)
My bike pulls a little to the right also!

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Might also want to take into account road surface, tire tread or wind conditions LOL

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Mine tracks straight, but I did notice the indicator marks on the swing arm are not in the same position on both sides. The dealer aligns by front to rear axle measurement if it was mine I would have the dealer check it again.
Mine looks the same way and over the years, I learned not to trust the markings at the rear axle for alignment.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Here is how I would check alignment.
The motorcycle has to be standing upright. You can use a magnetic angle finder on the disc brakes.
Take a straight edge along both sides of the wheels. All eight points of the tires should touch the edges on both sides (this is assuming both tires are identical). Adjust the rear swingarm accordingly until all points of the tires touch the straight edge.
This also is under the assumption that the wheels are manufactured to be inline with each other.
If the front wheel/tire is smaller thatn the rear, all four points of the front tire (both sides) must measure the same distance from the straight edge.
If the front wheel is offset to one side or the other, that off se needs to be known first. then you need to do the math to figure out what the difference would be for opposite sides of the front tire (this would be for a smaller width front tire.
For an offset with the same size tire, one straight edge on the two points of the front tire, and one straightedge on the two points of the rear tire. The measurements would be equal on the two points of one side, but different from one side to the other.
A straight edge needs to be straight. Not some board out of the garage. I have heard of people using 8' flouresent bulbs, but that seems to me like a good mess to clean up when the bulb breaks.

Good luck.

·
Senior member / rider
1,301 Posts
I noticed that as well. EVERY Polaris (Victory) I have owned did/does that. I believe the technical reason has something to do with the "they all do that bearing" installed on every Victory. I was hoping they would have reengineered that before reusing it on the Scout.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have ridden my Chieftain without touching the grips for about a mile (on a straight road) and never felt any pulling or having to compensate for anything.
I would get that checked.

Semper Fi,
Z

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I noticed that as well. EVERY Polaris (Victory) I have owned did/does that. I believe the technical reason has something to do with the "they all do that bearing" installed on every Victory. I was hoping they would have reengineered that before reusing it on the Scout.
One of my pet peeves is when I hear a mechanic say, "They all do that" That is a cop out answer in my book.
What it really says to me is, I don't know any better, so I'm giving you a BS answer.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Guess I have a Rare Victory .. My Cross Country Rides Straight as an Arrow with No Hands .. Could even give the Scout some fine competition on Handling in the Twisties even though almost 300 lbs heavier .. Have no problems with my Scout pulling either .. Just a slight paint defect or no complaints with my Scout ..

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
A straight edge needs to be straight. Not some board out of the garage. I have heard of people using 8' flouresent bulbs, but that seems to me like a good mess to clean up when the bulb breaks.

Good luck.
Builder, I at one time did use some florescent bulbs for the alignment job.

I bought two 8 foot lengths of 3/4 inch square aluminum stock.

I have used them for years now on a number of bikes and have also used them to lone out to others to align theirs!
I usually use a short bungee cord to tie them to the rear wheel. Then I use the method you described above to align the wheels.

What worries me is the nagging idea that the wheels may have an offset by design?
Has anyone looked up the procedure in the Service Manual?:confused:

·
5,115 Posts
Guess I have a Rare Victory .. My Cross Country Rides Straight as an Arrow with No Hands .. Could even give the Scout some fine competition on Handling in the Twisties even though almost 300 lbs heavier .. Have no problems with my Scout pulling either .. Just a slight paint defect or no complaints with my Scout ..

That makes two of us. My 2010 Victory Cross Roads rode straight also, my Chieftain as well.

Reactions: JayFL459
1 - 20 of 28 Posts