Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
761 - 780 of 855 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting how bikes ordered now could be in a September time frame when bikes from arpil are just now shipping lol
The power of overtime.
An idea from someone who has worked manufacturing- does Polaris' factories have AC? It's been a hot couple months so maybe they had trouble retaining employees. Hell, maybe they just installed AC and people are more willing to stay on as well as do OT.

·
Registered
2022 Indian Scout Bobber
103 Posts
Quick question. Does anyone here know the length of the spacers for the OEM saddle bag. Looked in the manual but it does not list that part.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For those of you who are not on Reddit. There is a guy there, "Mindspear" who works marketing for and Indian dealership and he somewhat regularly posts updates on how things are moving. He hadn't posted in a while until today, so I am copying his post for what is worth below:

"
Presold Shipping Update

It's been a while since I've posted here and I wanted to do a quick follow up. We are getting a lot of bikes in now. Last Saturday was the busiest day of the year and a big chunk of that was preorders getting picked up or shipped out for delivery. That said, the market is EXTREMELY challenging to read right now, and something tells me late fall / early winter is going to be hard on some dealers. For now, customers are taking delivery and we have very, very few people backing out on their preorder. For those dealers who did not (or are not) aggressively pursue preorders times might get thin in November.
For bikes ordered today delivery times for some Scouts, Challenger Ltd, Pursuit Ltc, base Roadmasters, some Chiefs and Super Chiefs are in that September window. Dark Horse models (not all) are looking at October. Again.. this is if ordered today.
The Chicago location has 12 units with updated shipment plans, those models are across the board with Scout Bobber and Scout Rogues taking up a big chunk. One Chief Bobber DH ordered 3/23 is moving. No other DH models show movement. Scout Rogue BSM's orderd in May are also moving.
Challenger DH and DH Icon are no longer available for preorder. Challenger and Challenger Ltd are available with a September time frame.
My friend bought one of the Challenger Elite's and its a helluva machine. The sound system is just amazing and I don't even listen to music when riding. Power for days. He's a sport bike guy who never thought he would punch his bagger card but after renting a Challenger he was hooked."

I've asked if he knows anything about the orders waiting on TBD right now. I'll post his answer if/when I hear back from him.
"Dark Horse models (not all) are looking at October. Again...this is if ordered today."

That line makes me scratch my head a bit. That just sounds like the same 12 weeks that has been thrown around for the past year.

What scares me....is did he mean to say it might be October for bikes already ordered? Like me, who ordered in May?

The ONLY silver lining with all this.....IF you are lucky enough to ever get a bike....and then things get worse in the fall....you will probably have no trouble selling the bike if you wanted to.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hmmmm... well screw me three was sideways, and blow me thrice on Sunday. Hopefully they'll get these bikes to us sooner rather than later. I'm looking forward to receiving my bike and riding over to the Harley dealer for winter storage! :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I with

"Dark Horse models (not all) are looking at October. Again...this is if ordered today."

That line makes me scratch my head a bit. That just sounds like the same 12 weeks that has been thrown around for the past year.

What scares me....is did he mean to say it might be October for bikes already ordered? Like me, who ordered in May?

The ONLY silver lining with all this.....IF you are lucky enough to ever get a bike....and then things get worse in the fall....you will probably have no trouble selling the bike if you wanted to.
Here's the real slap upside the head, and a cluster-f question. I understand that bikes are on backorder and they're seeing difficulties getting parts; I truly get it. However, my concern has to do with the fact that they can't keep "shirts/apparel" in stock, and other misc. items. I'm scratching my head wondering if some of this is supply chain issues, and some of it is that they don't have the right person(s) in place to handle this. And when I read that "normal bike services/repairs" are also delayed by 1-month...this also doesn't sit well with me.

I say the above because meanwhile, I just saw two BS Rogues delivered to a dealership and have "For Sale" stickers on them. Also, Polaris just terminated Victory in order to focus on Indian, so why the world can't they keep up with demand for normal bike services. Something here bothers me, man-power needs to be repurposed, and with the stagnation of sales on bikes, this would lead me to believe there are far fewer motorcycles that need to be serviced.

What's going on here???

·
Registered
2022 Scout Bobber Black Smoke ABS
44 Posts
Here's the real slap upside the head, and a cluster-f question. I understand that bikes are on backorder and they're seeing difficulties getting parts; I truly get it. However, my concern has to do with the fact that they can't keep "shirts/apparel" in stock, and other misc. items. I'm scratching my head wondering if some of this is supply chain issues, and some of it is that they don't have the right person(s) in place to handle this. And when I read that "normal bike services/repairs" are also delayed by 1-month...this also doesn't sit well with me.

I say the above because meanwhile, I just saw two BS Rogues delivered to a dealership and have "For Sale" stickers on them. Also, Polaris just terminated Victory in order to focus on Indian, so why the world can't they keep up with demand for normal bike services. Something here bothers me, man-power needs to be repurposed, and with the stagnation of sales on bikes, this would lead me to believe there are far fewer motorcycles that need to be serviced.

What's going on here???
Makes you question if the brand is performing poorly, but that’s not what they have published on their quarterly reports. According to those, the brand is doing better than ever and outperforming HD. Maybe they bit more than they can chew.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What's going on here???
Not a stagnation in sales at all. The dealerships are very busy with preorders flying out the door all the time.

Economy has been shit recently and people are finally getting together some savings together. High gas prices means more motorcycle buyers as well. Stock is up 1.62%/6month or 8.36%/1month. Most the parts are made in China but assembled in the US, just like most brands. Apparel and Merch especially so.

Any slowdown is a result in China-US trading issues. And that's not fake news as many claim. Months ago ports were full and plenty of cargo containers never moving. Global shortage on black matte paint as well since the materials for that are all chinese. Doesn't take much to figure if you order a black scout those factors come into play.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not a stagnation in sales at all. The dealerships are very busy with preorders flying out the door all the time.

Economy has been shit recently and people are finally getting together some savings together. High gas prices means more motorcycle buyers as well. Stock is up 1.62%/6month or 8.36%/1month. Most the parts are made in China but assembled in the US, just like most brands. Apparel and Merch especially so.

Any slowdown is a result in China-US trading issues. And that's not fake news as many claim. Months ago ports were full and plenty of cargo containers never moving. Global shortage on black matte paint as well since the materials for that are all chinese. Doesn't take much to figure if you order a black scout those factors come into play.
Usually when the economy is "shit", people can't rub two pennies together...interesting. I guess we aren't in a recession after all. Let's go Brandon!

So not only does China have a monopoly on semiconductors, you're telling me they have a monopoly on matte black paint? Who knew...

Meh, I'll agree to disagree with you. I've taken my Mazda 3 (POS version) into the dealership for 1) several oil changes, 2) Windshield wiper blades were replaced, along with one failing motor, 3) Had tires replaced 4) Rad fluids replaced, etc. all within the last couple pandemic years. Again, if Polaris is struggling with accommodating "regular services", then they didn't speak with the service departments and run thru the metrics to figure out how many oil change kits they need to supply yearly, and the same for other wearable items.

Great example of the above was walking into Kohls for several weeks and seeing no "men's shoes" on the racks. However, I went over to DSW, and wow did I ever hit the motherload of men's shoes... it was a sight to behold so I picked up a few pairs. All I could think was "Kohls, you used to be awesome but your executives have failed you!"

I guess I'm just in an industry where "no" isn't an option, I just have to find a way to make it happen.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Makes you question if the brand is performing poorly, but that’s not what they have published on their quarterly reports. According to those, the brand is doing better than ever and outperforming HD. Maybe they bit more than they can chew.
I don't think they are performing poorly, I think they are trending upwards. What I think, is that they don't have the right people at the top to help them grow this brand properly. It happens all the time, see Harley, see Porsche back in the 80's (then they spit out the Spyder and several other nuanced vehicles).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Usually when the economy is "shit", people can't rub two pennies together...interesting. I guess we aren't in a recession after all. Let's go Brandon!

So not only does China have a monopoly on semiconductors, you're telling me they have a monopoly on matte black paint? Who knew...
Meh, I'll agree to disagree with you.
China doesn't have a monopoly on semiconductors, Singapore does. However, when you're trying to get all of that through the same port on the west coast all the chinese bullshit clogging the port impacts everything.

Are you aware of how many millions of cars were sitting in parking lots awaiting chips? And it's not a monopoly on matte black paint, but a near-monopoly on the PIGMENT in the paint. There are a handful of large scale industrial paint makers in the US and they were all low on said pigments.
Luckily the tide is turning as the current administration drags us into yet another war, we are realizing we need to be self sustaining. Big deals for microchip manufacturing like the one they will be putting near Purdue.

Your anecdote is fine, but I work in a fortune 500 large-scale industrial manufacturing business. We stopped coating our well known red-colored engines due to "environmental" reasons but no doubt it is a mix of budget and supply chain saving measures.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is how much of Polaris' profit is the merch you're complaining about? Likely very few percent if even a singular percentage.

But enough economics, I'm glad to see some movement on the tracker.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Um....no! Please see color matching rebuttals.....

The company saw a massive 70% rise in sales in the first quarter of 2021 compared to the same time in 2020. However, the supply chain issues and inflation threats took its toll. As a result, in the first quarter of 2022, Polaris saw a 48% drop in revenues from the year before. That is nearly half. This drop in revenue has occurred throughout the company, as overall retail sales have dropped by 22% compared to last year.

The personal savings rate, the amount of disposable income that people save, was just 4.4% in April, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis — that’s the lowest rate recorded since September 2008. T

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's great but if you consider the overall market performance in luxury/entertainment/personal motorsporting, Polaris is doing fine.
That is to say, we are most definitely in a recession but Polaris is handling it fairly well and people are still buying despite rising costs of living. Q1 is always a horrible indicator of performance.

Let me put it in plain English because clearly there's some confusion- The economy is absolutely in a recession to the point where the left is trying to redefine the word to avoid embarassment. Despite this, Polaris is doing fine COMPARATIVELY to overall performance of similar companies and product lines. Shortages are 1000% a real thing and not fake news despite anecdotal shoe shopping trips.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That's great but if you consider the overall market performance in luxury/entertainment/personal motorsporting, Polaris is doing fine.
That is to say, we are most definitely in a recession but Polaris is handling it fairly well and people are still buying despite rising costs of living. Q1 is always a horrible indicator of performance.
Huh? I'm not comparing Polaris to the overall market in anything. You said that there was no stagnation in sales, and orders (sales) are flying out the door. WRONG. And now you're going to say Q1 is a bad indicator? Well...they are comparing Q1s.....meaning it IS relevant. They are not comparing this years Q1 with some other Q or year.....it's a year over year comparison of the same Q...which is the best (and correct) indicator..

People are still buying....just 22% less than last year so far.

And personal savings rates are the lowest in about 14 years!

761 - 780 of 855 Posts