Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured it would be nice to see when people are ordering bikes and how long it's taking. We do this kind of thing in the hellcat forums too, which is why I wonder why it hasn't been done? List your order dates and update your post if you get the bike delivered or receive an update.

Ordered:
Challenger Dark Horse Icon late April.
Edit: lol, dude at indian emailed me saying he talked to the floor and got them to bump my build up asap, because it was supposed to be prioritized under these circumstances. I told him, but it's supposed to ship by 4 days from now, 7/31.... how is it still sitting there unfinished.
Edit: Just changed to built with firm ship date.
8/19/22
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ordered:
2022 Chief Dark Horse April 28, 2021​
Confirmation email from Indian Not Received​
Delivered to Dealer May 26, 2021​

Note: I believe a bike someone else ordered became available and I got "lucky". The Dealership was expecting a longer timeline and did not provide notification that the bike was on its way.
Yeah that was a while back to. Probably what happened, because now they're taking about 3 months minimum from what I can tell. That's why I posted this, a few people have mentioned it in random spots.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered a challenger dark horse in white smoke. As far as I know it's a 21, but it could be a 22 of they decide to change model years. Because there's no vin there's really no way to know what they'll deliver. They obviously have a few 22 models now though.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stopped into the dealer here in St. Paul. Salesman said a big announcement on Oct. 15th. Assume just the JD Challenger. I will be ordering a 22 Challenger if/when they make the announcement. I will prob stay away from the JD since it will most likely be $36k plus..... closer to $40k.
JD?
Edit: nevermind, I know what you mean now. I forgot they made special edition ones. Yeah I don't care for it either.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered a '22 Challenger Limited in Nov. Picked it up last week. Just under 1 mo. turn around. Very happy. Prob is...Im in MN and cant ride till late March... View attachment 664657
I knew they were doing this crap. I ordered a dark horse in white in September, they sent me an email beginning of December trying really hard to get me to cancel my 21 and order a 22. I canceled and bought a different color that another dealer had in stock. It was 3 months of waiting. They told me minimum 3 months more for the order if I kept waiting...

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same here more or less. I ordered a Smoke White Darkhorse in Aug. with all the bells and whistle. Earlier this month I got the same email. I canceled my order got my deposit back, and will wait until things get back to normal.
From what I am hearing, the new Pursuit may be what I wanted in the Challenger anyway.
Shit man, I forgot to mention, I bought one after canceling. Mines got under 400 miles, its been in the shop almost 30 days. I'm probably gonna force a buyback on them... I really didn't want this to happen. I just expect a 30k bike to freaking work and work well from the factory. Seems like they're having tons of issues with the quality on these. I'm thinking a trade would suffice, like they send me a brand new one again, but I'm considering a full refund too. So sad. I can't believe what's going on, just so much disappointment.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I ordered a Chief Dark Horse in October of 2021 and have never received an email from the Brand. This morning after waiting 4 months I called to inquire about my order and was treated horribly and told to go to the Brand website which was no help whatsoever.
These are a bunch of red flags to me, if they treat me like this now how will they address any problem that may arise. Dealerships are few and far between in my area.
A smart person would cancel the order and go to Harley they want your business
Hahahaha oh look another joker that came on the site just to trash indian. Look at his profile, every one of his whopping 7 comments is just bad mouthing indian, and he's lying his butt off. So did you order a chief? Or was it a challenger? Cause I know you didn't order both, but you claim you did. Dealer told you to go to the website huh? They wouldn't do that either, as that's not how it works, until very recently. He even replied to HIS OWN COMMENT🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Edit: oh they gave you the wrong manual on the Indian you own? Yeah, sure buddy😉 You must be a HD salesman.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ordered:
2022 Road Master Dark Horse in Polished Bronze
Order date: 02/05/22
Indian Confirmation: 02/09/2022
Indian Status: Scheduled
Cancelled order: 04/02/2022

No real delivery info out of dealer and Indian will not commit to answer but leading on to at least mid summer delivery. So I found another in stock at another dealer.
Good chance dealer will still get that bike.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
2022 Challenger Dark Horse Icon Riot Orange Smoke
6 April 2022: ordered
9 April 2022: Received Order Tracking
25 to 29 April: Scheduled

This is a "priority build" with polaris, due to a buyback, let's see how long this BS takes😂

· Registered
1,140 Posts
You have my curiosity, I have to ask. Disabled vet, but you are physically capable of riding a motorcycle and driving a race car. Also, what exactly does it take to be a 'certified Indian Motorcycle Tech'?
So not gonna explain my disabilities to you, as that's pretty private, but I have numerous physical and mental health issues from deployment related injuries. Many people that are disabled can ride motorcycles, it's very common. Just like driving cars. And to become a Indian motorcycle tech, as in most things, you go through a certification process... pretty straightforward. And racing, which I've had to stop, possibly forever at this point, you can definitely still do that stuff even with certain health issues. Now obviously you can't do formula 1 without being in perfect health, but I don't do formula 1 so 😅

Edit: just realized too, you posted in a forum that you're a Vietnam vet. Kinda surprising you're asking me about things you already know, being a veteran yourself...

Gentlemen, let's keep on topic and if you have personal questions for one another, take that to PM's please. SS

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #502 ·
I about fell out of my chair, my ship date changed from 07/01-07/31 now is 7/22. Maybe I’ll get to ride this summer after all, or it’s just a cruel trick. View attachment 696712
Weird. Mine says same thing, scheduled, but has a 2 week range. Also an Icon.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #533 ·
Latest Update:

Order: Indian Scout Bobber Black Smoke (no factory upgrades or additions)
Order Date: May 17, '22
Confirmed Date: May 19, '22
Scheduled Date: May 19, '22
Anticipated Ship Date: July 10 - 31st

I was hesitant today to give Indian Motorcycle a call; I don't like pestering people who are already under enough stress. However, I wanted to get some clarity on what's happening. Meaning, that my portal dates hadn't changed at all and I'd rather receive 'bad' news than no news at all; setting my expectations.

When I called I got Jonathan on the phone; have to say he's a pretty cool dude. He gave me the rundown that many bikes are near complete, but they're waiting on smaller parts here and there to completely finish them; nothing new, we're aware of that. The information that was really interesting was that when we discussed logistics and supply chain items, he informed me that there are certain distributors that present a challenge that's almost comical (from my perspective). So the distributors will haggle with the amount of parts shipped to Indian, because they're trying to fulfill orders for other businesses etc. After an amount of parts is decided, they'll ship those parts to Indian, but far fewer parts actually arrive in the box that they're receiving. From my understanding this is a game the distributors play in order to keep clients in-tow and deal with their own supply problems.

This makes sense, and also describes the challenges that Indian has with shipping the bikes and updating the portals for pending clients; how it almost seems "last minute" or haphazard. When these widgets arrive, the technicians at the plant run over to the bikes, quickly fit the last bits then run the bike thru quality control. Then shipping logistics steps in quickly and has to go to the shipping "job boards" (if you've ever shipped a vehicle you understand these boards) and figure out which truckers are going where, and how many bikes they can take to various locations. In summary, and again, most of our bikes are built from the standpoint of the vast amount of work of mating engine to frame, and other larger items. He also told me that some of this is electronics, but there are other items (little items) that are holding up the process. Jonathan got a kick out of me saying "if you're waiting on black paint, I'll rattle can the bike"... I was joking but it loosened the conversation up a bit where he could relax and didn't have to worry about an angry customer.

The good news, is that those of us with a July 10 - 31st date... well, they're still trying to make that happen; I was shocked and told him how amazing that was, but understood if the bike is delayed. He told me they're trying to stick to those portal dates, and for all rational purposes they think they can meet those, even if these parts come in at the last minute next week. I won't be surprised if the bikes are delayed until Mid/Late August, but from how he explained their logistics, they're pretty darn efficient at this time. Now, a case could be made for going to other mfg/distributors for these missing parts, but if these other firms are also located in China, then its a moot point. Of note is that this type of behavior from distributors in China of agreeing to one amount of product and shipping another isn't unheard of; actually it's common place. I would not want to be in their receiving department, because ordering a certain amount of parts, then receiving only a portion of those would create nightmares of there own in tracking and inventory (ugh!).

I tip my hat to Jonathan, and those that are at the plant in Iowa... I'm pretty sure they're just as frustrated as those of us who want our bikes; and they're handling it pretty well, Jonathan was apologetic and again... a pretty cool dude!
Wow you just gave me hope for my Icon challenger... thank you.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #590 ·
LOL same logic here, if I don't get the thrill from the bobber, I'll dump it in the spring and buy a new bike; I doubt we'd have any issues selling them.

EDIT: The other issue is insurance on sports bikes is insane... people need to stop yeeting and wrecking them.
Omg I know. I was looking at a ninja 650, it was gonna be like 100 a month for insurance. My bobber 60 is 100 for the whole year with more than needed coverages!

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 ·
You guys get super-high deductibles, or I'm just riding in accident hell? Years-old Sportster here was 900 bucks a year. I'm kinda worried about a new bike. :confused:
Mines 500, coverages way over legal minimums, and like 100 a year for the premium. My ChallengerDH though, that's like 600 a year.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #633 ·
My local dealer has 2 rogue 60s on the floor right now...if they had 6 gears instead of 5 I would have gotten one but I like my 6th gear
The 6th gear doesn't really matter. The 6th gear on the scout is 5th gear on the 60. They simply removed the 5th gear, so the final drive is still the same. Only real difference otherwise is the power, but there are big bore kits for 1300 out there... I'm almost tempted😂

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #724 ·
I figured it would be nice to see when people are ordering bikes and how long it's taking. We do this kind of thing in the hellcat forums too, which is why I wonder why it hasn't been done? List your order dates and update your post if you get the bike delivered or receive an update.

Ordered:
Challenger Dark Horse Sept. 4, 2021
Confirmation email from Indian Sept. 23, 2021
Edit: lol, dude at indian emailed me saying he talked to the floor and got them to bump my build up asap, because it was supposed to be prioritized under these circumstances. I told him, but it's supposed to ship by 4 days from now, 7/31.... how is it still sitting there unfinished.
E
O don't worry they will be lemons...they gave us coasters to enjoy some lemonade lolol
Lol yeah... my Challenger was... They're sending me a Icon Riot Orange one as a replacement... really crossing my fingers. Though I'm not actually concerned. I think it'll be great. They just updated my status by the way.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

1 - 20 of 36 Posts