Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had 30K service done on my 2018 Indian Springfield. All seemed good until lately. I am noticing a bit of wonkiness when going over slightly rough pavement that didn't exist before. I've checked tire pressure, rear shock adjustment, etc to no avail. Drive belt seems to be at the correct tension and looks to be in good shape. I am also running Michelin Commander 2's both front and rear. Also fork oil was changed out.. Bike just doesn't feel connected to the pavement like I am typically used to.. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Check your wheel bearings. Mine started acting that way a while back and I had a failing bearing in the front wheel. It also was setting random front ABS sensor codes that have not come back since replacing the bearings.

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,449 Posts
I wonder if they put too much, or too little fork oil in when they serviced them. Or perhaps they used a different weight of oil.

Reactions: WarSquirrel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your wheel bearings. Mine started acting that way a while back and I had a failing bearing in the front wheel. It also was setting random front ABS sensor codes that have not come back since replacing the bearings.
Thanks Whizzbang, after doing some reading on this type of issue, I'm leaning more towards your theory of worn out bearings. Regardless, going to trailer it to the dealer this week and have it looked at. Hoping it is as simple as a balancing issue but I know that is wishful thinking when it comes to Indian. Appreciate your insight. Thanks again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if they put too much, or too little fork oil in when they serviced them. Or perhaps they used a different weight of oil.
This is a possibility too Caprock. That was actually one of my first thoughts. One would think that the dealers mechanics would have that process down, maybe, maybe not. They will be checking this also. The bike has been absolutely flawless up until now.

·
Rider
1,449 Posts
So what did your dealer find wrong?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Caprock, took it to the dealer last week and he said he didn't even have to test ride it. Said the tires were cupped so badly which would explain the uneasiness. Went back to the Dunlop, disappointed in the Michelin Comm 2's. Michelins only had 10K on them and I don't push the limits. Oh well. Live and learn.

·
Rider
1,449 Posts
That's good that the problem has been corrected. I guess I misunderstood and thought this problem started after when you got your bike out of the shop from its service. The Dunlop's do for sure last long.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The funny thing is that it did start to happen after the bike came out of service. Makes you wonder what they actually check during that service. Obviously not tires. Cupping doesn't happen overnight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have always replaced my wheel bearings with the tire change.. Since the wheels are off, they change them out and my dealer doesn't charge me extra labor...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts