Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Super Chief Limited
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was cruising along and the bike just goes dead, display locked up and battery icon is flashing. Got off the road and tried to restart the bike, but nothing. When I turn the bike on, the battery reads 0.0v and the fuel pump will not com on. Got a buddy to come get me and went and got my trailer and towed her home. Put it on a charger overnight in hopes that it was just the battery. This morning the charger shows a full charge on the battery, but the display on the bike still shows 0.0v. Calling the dealer later today, but any thoughts?

·
Bronze member
5,734 Posts
So i was cruising along and the bike just goes dead, display locked up and battery icon is flashing. Got off the road and tried to restart the bike, but nothing. When I turn the bike on, the battery reads 0.0v and the fuel pump will not com on. Got a buddy to come get me and went and got my trailer and towed her home. Put it on a charger overnight in hopes that it was just the battery. This morning the charger shows a full charge on the battery, but the display on the bike still shows 0.0v. Calling the dealer later today, but any thoughts?

Check the fuses for bad connections, check the battery connections

·
Super Moderator
3,636 Posts
Check the battery with a multimeter to determine voltage (switch in off position) - your manual explains what’s an acceptable voltage level. If I recall, 12.8+ is a fully charged battery. If it’s below about 12.5, the battery is on its way out.

FYI- on my Challenger, the dash voltage indicator shows about .3 volts less than what my multimeter shows. I’m speculating the multimeter is more accurate than the dash indicator.

Also, I’ve had a bad battery that would show “fully charged” on a battery tender or charger. It would start the bike once, then be dead after that.

·
Premium Member
2022 Super Chief Limited
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all, I'll check when I get home this evening..

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
558 Posts
Brand new bike heading home from the dealer?

Or existing bike and just suddenly had this issue?

That would help in diagnosing. If it's a "new" bike directly from the dealer... the one lead on the negative side may not be attached properly and you now have a shot battery that wont charge properly.

If existing bike... and after many rides it suddenly does this... could be a loose connection but I would also get the alternator checked once you get the battery sorted.

As said above... it is likely something simple like a fuse. So check the simple things first.

·
Premium Member
2022 Super Chief Limited
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brand new bike heading home from the dealer?

Or existing bike and just suddenly had this issue?

That would help in diagnosing. If it's a "new" bike directly from the dealer... the one lead on the negative side may not be attached properly and you now have a shot battery that wont charge properly.

If existing bike... and after many rides it suddenly does this... could be a loose connection but I would also get the alternator checked once you get the battery sorted.

As said above... it is likely something simple like a fuse. So check the simple things first.
Bike has just over 5,700 miles on it. Had it about a year with 0 issues until now.

Reactions: Mungrol

·
Premium Member
2022 Super Chief Limited
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bike is running! 15A fuse (engine) blown. Went ahead and replaced battery while I was at it..

Reactions: Mungrol

·
Premium Member
2022 Super Chief Limited
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rode the bike to work this morning with no issues. Had a flashlight and some extra fuses in the saddlebags just in case...

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Registered
2021 Roadmaster 116
218 Posts
Fuses can blow due to manufacturing defects or overall wear. If it blows again, then you have issues.
Oh yeah I realize that but most of the time I have seen blown fuses there is a reason other than defects or wear, that's why I asked. Glad it appears to be otherwise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts