Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my new Challenger sight unseen and have been ext pleased with the bike so far. I did bring it home and parked it next to my old CCT that had the 21” wheel upgrade last year.
any thoughts on doing the same adjustment to the Challenger?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Absolutely not, but that is just my opinion.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,413 Posts
It’s just a 21” I think you should do it. It’s not a 30”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have never ridden a bagger with a 21" front wheel.i have ridden all my life with dirt bikes. They all had 21" front wheels.i bought 2 Adventure bikes last year and sold them both within the first 6 months. Both brands had a model with a 19" front wheel and one with a 21". The ones my girlfriend and I test road had 19" fro t wheel, but with my dirt bike background had me thinking the 21" wheels would give us more confidence in the dirt. Big mistake. Bikes were too heavy for anything but rough fire roads. The demo bikes were both great with the 19" at up to 100 mph. With the 21" they both sucked. Smaller wider tire was more stable at high speeds. I'm curious how a big cruiser handles on the hwy? They definitely look cool, but looks don't make the ride when a short ride is 200 miles.

·
Rider
636 Posts
Although I do not like the big front wheel, it is a style, and a personal preference. I wonder how it handles. Anyone?
Indian/Polaris probably has it set up for optimal handling and performance with that rake and trail configuration.
They pay engineers big $$ to develope the BEST product and we want to start altering it as soon as we get it home!! I remember in 1989 working in a Lincoln mercury store, the 1990 town car was released, a very aerodynamic sleek car for the times, big $$$ spent by Ford mtr co in wind tunnel testing to quiet it down and make it better than the dinosaur 1989 model it replaced. And as soon as they hit the showroom floor we sent them out and put faux carriage roofs (fiberglass shell with fabric cover and faux crossbars) on them to help bump the profit margin and iINDIVIDUALIZE them and in the process INCREASED the interior noise substantially....BUT we still sold them!!!
In my opinion the larger the sidewall on the tire the better the ride...the front tire has to take up all the impact of road way imperfections (Chuck holes tar strips expansion joints etc) when you increase the wheel diameter and shorten the sidewall area more is transmitted to the handle bars and ultimately your arms! I love the big wheel look! But I'm not willing to make that trade off! So I think the bike is killer as it sits!! Spend that $$$ on something else to INDIVIDUALIZE it if you must!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Coming from a Cross Country, I knew several other Cross Country owners that did the 21" front tire mod. The 18" always looked small on the XCs. You know how it rides, so I would assume the Challenger will ride differently as well (as others have pointed out). My opinion is that it's your bike and you should do whatever the heck you want. Obviously a 21" is not a "big" tire compared to the fad that has been going on (and is probably gone)...to me it fits the look better.

Post pics if you do it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Coming from a Cross Country, I knew several other Cross Country owners that did the 21" front tire mod. The 18" always looked small on the XCs. You know how it rides, so I would assume the Challenger will ride differently as well (as others have pointed out). My opinion is that it's your bike and you should do whatever the heck you want. Obviously a 21" is not a "big" tire compared to the fad that has been going on (and is probably gone)...to me it fits the look better.

Post pics if you do it!
just my 2c but I changed my Chief classic spoked wheel with a custom made Renegade 19”.
Handling stayed the same because the new wheel was a lot lighter than the old steel wheel.

·
Rider
436 Posts
I have a 21 inch wheel on my Chieftain and it handles just fine. Is it different than stock? Yes but not to an extreme where it really makes much of a difference for touring riding or even getting after it a little harder than normal. That being said, it might change the Challengers geometry more because that bike is meant as a high performance bagger and is set up for just that, performance! That being said though, I honestly don't think it'll change it enough to be worried about unless you ride ridiculously hard. Normal riding would be just fine

·
Registered
165 Posts
My 2004 Victory Vegas came stock with a 21". I switched it out with this 21" rim and matching rotor. Big mistake. It looks cool and even though it is the same size. The stopping distance sucks compared to the stock rim. I even feel the handling is not as good. It is a heavier rim. Also the matching rotor is Not a free floating rotor. I do see now that a matching free floating rotor is available, i do Not remember seeing one available at the time i bought the rim. I believe The rim was $1500 the tire was $175 and the brake rotor was around $300... With shipping and tax about $2000. I feel i spent so much money, just live with it now. Plus it looks cool too.... Good Luck. If i could done anything different, I would NOT have changed the rim.

Attachments

·
Rider
636 Posts
My 2004 Victory Vegas came stock with a 21". I switched it out with this 21" rim and matching rotor. Big mistake. It looks cool and even though it is the same size. The stopping distance sucks compared to the stock rim. I even feel the handling is not as good. It is a heavier rim. Also the matching rotor is Not a free floating rotor. I do see now that a matching free floating rotor is available, i do Not remember seeing one available at the time i bought the rim. I believe The rim was $1500 the tire was $175 and the brake rotor was around $300... With shipping and tax about $2000. I feel i spent so much money, just live with it now. Plus it looks cool too.... Good Luck. If i could done anything different, I would NOT have changed the rim.
I have only ridden one bike with a 21" front wheel....it was a HD deluxe and we were rolling along @ 60-65 and ran upon one of those bridges that are metal grates!!!! You couldn't have driven a nail up my arse with a 10 pound hammer!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts