Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Senior member / gold
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At work a guy next door was having his truck detailed. I am always busy, so I had him wash my Dark Horse. I gave him very specific instructions to only wash it, clean the chrome, and do the leather surfaces. ABSOLUTELY NO WAX OF ANY KIND!!! He got done, paid him, didn't look at it, cased closed. I went to leave work last night, looked at the front fender, and it looked like he had sprayed Armor-all, or some other treatment on it. I quickly went back in the shop and grabbed a spray bottle of denatured alcohol. Sprayed it and wiped it down. That dulled it quite a bit. Got home... he had also sprayed the back fender and the side panels. He never touched the gas tank! Thank God! Got to work extra early, got the alcohol and resprayed the front fender, and did the rear fender and side panels.
Moral to this story... If you want something done half-ass, pay somebody to do it. If you want it done right, do it yourself!
It could have been a real disaster... he could have used wax and ruined the matte finish. All's well that ends well!

·
Vendor / bronze
2,728 Posts
Good solution. I worry about the matte finish. It looks great but you have to guard it like a daughter.

·
Rider
939 Posts
I don't let anyone else wash or clean my bike, not even a semi-naked lady in those advertised "Bike washes". Not worth it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,695 Posts
Yes indeed. Even though my bike has glossy paint instead of matte I still do all the cleaning & detailing myself.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
At work a guy next door was having his truck detailed. I am always busy, so I had him wash my Dark Horse. I gave him very specific instructions to only wash it, clean the chrome, and do the leather surfaces. ABSOLUTELY NO WAX OF ANY KIND!!! He got done, paid him, didn't look at it, cased closed. I went to leave work last night, looked at the front fender, and it looked like he had sprayed Armor-all, or some other treatment on it. I quickly went back in the shop and grabbed a spray bottle of denatured alcohol. Sprayed it and wiped it down. That dulled it quite a bit. Got home... he had also sprayed the back fender and the side panels. He never touched the gas tank! Thank God! Got to work extra early, got the alcohol and resprayed the front fender, and did the rear fender and side panels.
Moral to this story... If you want something done half-ass, pay somebody to do it. If you want it done right, do it yourself!
It could have been a real disaster... he could have used wax and ruined the matte finish. All's well that ends well!
This is the very reason I do all my own home renovations. What the problem is, it's NOT THEIR'S!!!

·
Senior member / gold
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always use denatured alcohol, not rubbing alcohol. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

·
Senior member / gold
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a quote from me...
"A beautiful woman is like a work of art... just because you like to look at it and admire it, doesn't mean you have to own it."
At least that is what I tell my Better Half! Hahaha!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
This is a quote from me...
"A beautiful woman is like a work of art... just because you like to look at it and admire it, doesn't mean you have to own it."
At least that is what I tell my Better Half! Hahaha!
All true. And ownership of that type of art is the beginning of a lifetime of regret, headaches, and a pain in the @ss.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I own a Harley nightster with Satin paint and have always used Turtle wax Ice spray synthetic wax ( syn silicone no abrasives or paste) it does a great job of cleaning and protecting paint, does add a little sheen but, sure keeps paint safe from stains and rub marks, by the way I fix shiny rub marks with 0000 steel wool in a light circle motion, removes shiny spots and does not damage paint if your light and work it in small amounts and check your work, done this for a few years

·
Senior member / gold
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All true. And ownership of that type of art is the beginning of a lifetime of regret, headaches, and a pain in the @ss.
... not even factoring in the initial expense and subsequent upkeep of ownership!

·
Senior member / gold
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After 4 applications of denatured alcohol the fenders and side covers finally match the gas tank. I use "Rat Wax".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts