Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I broke in the new Roadmaster on a ride from Las Cruces to Big Bend Texas with a bunch of Indian Riding friends. When I left home the odometer had an intresting mileage....

It was 350 miles to Big Bend from Las Cruces NM. We took I 10 to Fort Stockton then South to Marfa, then Alpine and further South to Terlinguia. We got there with enough daylight to cruise about 60 miles of the park. My odometer was at just over 500 miles. I brought a throw down oil pan, tools and an oil change kit. I changed the oil in the motel parking lot and gave the old oil in to a gass station.

I took it easy on the way down. I kept the RPM under 2800 and varied the speed from 45 on the back roade to 75 on I-10. I used all the gears. The temp was low, 52 to 55F which probably helps with a gentle break in.

The bike is once again AMAZING I am forever spoiled. I have never even riden a bike this nice much less owned one. Comfort is the best handling is great. The lowers, heated grips and seat windshield and the radio.

The next day we cruised the whole park. My pictures do not do the place justice.

From right to left Ed's Springfield, my Roadmaster, Dave's Chieftan, Georges Springfield adn Danielle's Scout. All bikes riden from Las Cruces or El Paso. No trailers here!

This is the in the town of Terlinguia..

My Roadmaster with two Springfields.

Old Clay Henry's place in Lajitas.

The ride home Monday was COLD!!

Terlinguia started out at 57. When we got to Alpine it was 30F and flurries. The sun came out toward Marfa BUT the wind picked up considerable. I have to say this bike did great in some helacious cross winds. Even with a 5 gallon gass tank straped behind me. TOTALY UNNECESSARY (BTW despite what others say about this area being a lawless wasteland with no gass, law and bandits everywhere you will be just fine)

The heated seat, grips and lowers were very welcome. We stopped frequently, every 75 to 100 miles, gassed up, warmed up and got coffee. We had a little snow squall in Las Cruces when I got into town. The trip was great and the bike performed flawlessly. 250 miles back home.

BROKEN IN!!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It was an awesome trip - albeit a cold one! My only disappoint was finding out this descendant of Clay Henry doesn't drink las much as his great grandfather... :D

And you are right, no bandidos, cartel members or otherwise ornery folks running about. Just friendly park personnel and tourists. Well, there were tarantulas out the ying yang, but then they didn't really bother us either... :D

·
Bronze member
3,164 Posts
I was told of a bar that is underground in terlinguia,havent made it yet,heard of a guy that rents small sleeping quarters for the night as well,spent the night once in deming a while back,but did not venture to Marfa and beyond,we didn't want to sleep in the dirt lol,I'm heading there this summer any help is appreciated.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
I was told of a bar that is underground in terlinguia,havent made it yet,heard of a guy that rents small sleeping quarters for the night as well,spent the night once in deming a while back,but did not venture to Marfa and beyond,we didn't want to sleep in the dirt lol,I'm heading there this summer any help is appreciated.
That would be La Kiva. It's on Terlingua Creek between Study Butte and Terlingua Ghost Town.
--- Randall

·
Administrator
15,907 Posts
Great writeup and photos — thx for posting. Looks like a great group to ride with and a fine selection of roads. Never seen Chingon IPA — may have to ride down there and find some!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
That would be La Kiva. It's on Terlingua Creek between Study Butte and Terlingua Ghost Town.
--- Randall
Sorry we missed you Randall. My phone crapped out just as we were leaving for the ride. Had a new one waiting for me when I got back last night. I have your number so hopefully we can meet up on the next one. I think we'll wait till it gets warmer this time though... :)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
Sorry we missed you Randall. My phone crapped out just as we were leaving for the ride. Had a new one waiting for me when I got back last night. I have your number so hopefully we can meet up on the next one. I think we'll wait till it gets warmer this time though... :)
Yeah, the cold front was stronger than expected. Saturday was overcast and chilly in Presidio County and after I couldn't reach you by phone I decided to stay home and make asado and a pot of beans. Sunday was nice though and I rode over to Marfa to celebrate Veteran's Day at Planet Marfa Beer Garden. Catch y'all next time!
--- Randall

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
Got a question for you guys in the Las Cruses area, What dealer do use for your Indian sales and service.

We used to live up in Show Low, Az for 17 years. After a motorcycle ride in the spring of '12 we bought a house in the South Eastern part of Tennessee, unbelievable motorcycling in these Smokey Mountains, I am only 40 miles from the dragon. We want to move back West, Claustrophobia big time after these 5 years, No Sun Rises or Sun Sets here, plus it's cold and rains all the time.

The Las Cruses area is very intriguing to us, been thru it many times.

Any comments or encouragement or ?????

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Don't let the reports of a vast wilderness area full of lawless bandidos put you off. It's nothing like that at all. There was gas available pretty much everywhere within riding distance of anyplace we want d to go even in the park itself. Visitors and staff all friendly. Zero problems anywhere we went. It was actually pretty tame - nothing like we were led to believe by some...

Got a question for you guys in the Las Cruses area, What dealer do use for your Indian sales and service.

We used to live up in Show Low, Az for 17 years. After a motorcycle ride in the spring of '12 we bought a house in the South Eastern part of Tennessee, unbelievable motorcycling in these Smokey Mountains, I am only 40 miles from the dragon. We want to move back West, Claustrophobia big time after these 5 years, No Sun Rises or Sun Sets here, plus it's cold and rains all the time.

Here we use El Paso Indian in El Paso, TX. We've had great support from them. Owned by Barnett HD interestingly enough. They have a great sale's staff and mechanic. Jamie just bought his RM there. I got my SF from them in August of '16 when I first moved here.

I actually moved here from Michigan's upper peninsula to retire. Before that I lived in northern Maine. If you want to ride and enjoy warm weather you could do far worse than LC. I think Jaime would agree. I'm sure he'll chime in as well. This has been a great move for my family also, they love it here. Lots to do.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions...

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
Here we use El Paso Indian in El Paso, TX. We've had great support from them. Owned by Barnett HD interestingly enough. They have a great sale's staff and mechanic. Jamie just bought his RM there. I got my SF from them in August of '16 when I first moved here.

I actually moved here from Michigan's upper peninsula to retire. Before that I lived in northern Maine. If you want to ride and enjoy warm weather you could do far worse than LC. I think Jaime would agree. I'm sure he'll chime in as well. This has been a great move for my family also, they love it here. Lots to do.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions...
Thanks

What part of LC do you live in? How is Medical? We really love the area. You can ride essentially all year.

This was going to be our final retirement place......but.........We have to sell our place first.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I actually moved here from Michigan's upper peninsula to retire.
Where in the UP? I grew up in St. Ignace. Miss the beautiful geography. Now living over in the Texas Hill Country. Big Bend is on the touring list...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

We all use the El Paso dealer. They are great and only 45 miles away. I have lived a few places. New York, Southern California, Arizona, Maine and now New Mexico. This area is the best for riding. You can ride year round. It does get a little hot for about 6 weeks BUT the nights always cool off.

Jamie

·
Bronze member
3,164 Posts
We all use the El Paso dealer. They are great and only 45 miles away. I have lived a few places. New York, Southern California, Arizona, Maine and now New Mexico. This area is the best for riding. You can ride year round. It does get a little hot for about 6 weeks BUT the nights always cool off.

Jamie
And no bugs,i rode down around that area for 3 months in the winter,no bugs,was amazing.go to northern Minnesota and you have to wash your windshield every day jjust to see through it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thanks

What part of LC do you live in? How is Medical? We really love the area. You can ride essentially all year.

This was going to be our final retirement place......but.........We have to sell our place first.
Not a whole lot of experience with the medical facilities, but from I can see there is pretty much everything you need. I'm sure if you can't find it here you could find it in El Paso, just a short distance down the highway.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Where in the UP? I grew up in St. Ignace. Miss the beautiful geography. Now living over in the Texas Hill Country. Big Bend is on the touring list...
Sault Ste. Marie. I got sick of the short riding season up there. I used to ride down to St. Ignace all the time. In addition to scenery, they had the only decent Mexican restaurant in the area which was a nice change of pace from the bland local fare.

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
Well, if things work out, both my Wife and I will be researching seriously the area Las Cruses north. The month or so of hot weather is do able for us as we lived many years in the Phoenix area.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Couple comments in general here. I am originaly from El Paso, but have now lived in New Mexico for a little over 40 years. NM is a very good state to ride a motorcycle in, pretty much the whole state and it is in fact remarkably bug free compared to many places. New Mexico is a little bit of the “Land of Manana” and can be a little third world but lots of clean air, nice scenary, low property and vehicle taxes and GREAT mexican food. While it does not work for everyone, I really love the place. Medical in Las Cruces/El Paso is fine..not as good as Phoenix but fine. While I live in the mountains near Ruidoso, I get through Las Cruces a lot and like most of Southern NM, it has just great weather. The best thing is we are not overrun by people. On Indian dealers, I use Albuquerque Indian and have had good luck with them but other firends of mine use the El Paso dealer (Barnett) and all report good things about them to date. On Big Bend, i have done that several times and it is always super enjoyable. I know the original developer of Lajitas Resort who is now long out of the chain of title but it was his vision and $$ that created it in the first place. if you like sunshine New Mexico and West Texas both have plenty of that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts