Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the saddlebag speaker set for my Chieftan. Of course you have to buy the new lids too.

I noticed that the paint on the new lids was not as good as the originals but not a problem as I was planning on two toning my solid black and would re-clear them anyway.

As I was prepping the lids I pulled up a piece of tape and the factory paint came off with it. It looks like they painted the plastic lids without prepping them.

Now I've got to strip all the paint off to get the job done.

Watch out for those lids!
image.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got the saddlebag speaker set for my Chieftan. Of course you have to buy the new lids too.

I noticed that the paint on the new lids was not as good as the originals but not a problem as I was planning on two toning my solid black and would re-clear them anyway.

As I was prepping the lids I pulled up a piece of tape and the factory paint came off with it. It looks like they painted the plastic lids without prepping them.

Now I've got to strip all the paint off to get the job done.

Watch out for those lids! View attachment 3425
That sucks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sucks!
No kidding!

DO NOT BUY the speaker lids!!! I have video of me pulling the paint off in sheets. Like a bad sunburn. Can't post it for some reason.

Dealer said they can replace them. Ha! Then start the peeling process all over again.

If you have the speaker lids it's just a matter of time before they peel.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Plastic is hard to paint and requires a specific prep and paint formula. Told my brother (who is a professional automotive custom painter) about this thread and he agrees with the op. Get them repainted locally by a pro who knows what he's doing. Good luck on the fix!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plastic is hard to paint and requires a specific prep and paint formula. Told my brother (who is a professional automotive custom painter) about this thread and he agrees with the op. Get them repainted locally by a pro who knows what he's doing. Good luck on the fix!
Oh I can do them right. I build and paint custom cars for a living.

It's just an irritant for me but my concern is for the folks that don't do this every day. A small chip can turn into a nightmare real quick. Even under warranty you will just be replacing them that will eventually peel again.

I called Polaris to bring it to their attention. There could be hundreds if not thousands of lid sets already sitting on shelves that will fail.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Crap! Disheartening to say the least. I hope this is an isolated circumstance, I'm sure BJ would rather be riding... weather permitting. Would like to see the end result BJ.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,052 Posts
Good evening Folks,
Well, this is the great thing about the world-wide web, you can't hush this stuff up. Indian needs to step up to the plate and make this right or people won't buy their products.
--- Randall

1 - 20 of 23 Posts