Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Need more details, such as how good is the CDH? Mileage, condition, price? Riding style? If coming from a RK, you may want to stick with the CDH, but if you are looking for a bar hopper and don't do long trips or weekenders, the Scout may fit the bill. You will hear this again, and again, go ride them and let the scoot decide.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Need more details, such as how good is the CDH? Mileage, condition, price? Riding style? If coming from a RK, you may want to stick with the CDH, but if you are looking for a bar hopper and don't do long trips or weekenders, the Scout may fit the bill. You will hear this again, and again, go ride them and let the scoot decide.
By the way, I have a Chieftain AND a Scout, both are great, just used for different types of riding I do.

Reactions: boynton6spd

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
As stated, it depends on your riding style and what you want out of your bike. They both will get your adrenaline pumping. The Scouts kick ass and are fast, but not for prolonged highway speeds at 85-90.

Since you have a Road King I would suggest the Darkhorse. Big difference in the suspension on a Dark Horse to Road King. Engine wise, the Scout has a kick ass high revving fun engine, but the Bobber suspension is a mere 2+ inches just like the Road King.

So if you want to haul ass in comfort and never feel hardly a bump in the road the Chief models are the best. the Indian front end and the rear shock are excellent. 4.7" of travel in the rear is awesome...

·
Vendor / bronze
2,945 Posts
The Scout is great. I miss mine. But if you are used to the Road King, you will want to get the Dark Horse. It is more versatile and more comfortable if riding more than 2 hours.

·
Rider
985 Posts
Yeah it really comes down to what you want to do as others have said. I would love a Scout or even an FTR but they would not fit 90% of my riding. If you plan on taking long trips then I would think you would want the Darkhorse.

My progression through the years of bikes and I keep my bikes a long time but:

I started on a Suzuki 650 Savage single cylinder. Ok bike for what it was but I would never ride long distance on it.

My next bike was a HD Sportster 883. Great bike and great engine that even though I owned it for 9 years I outgrew it quickly and my wife and I were cramped on that bike. Short trips ok. 2 hour ride ok. Anything longer forget it.

My next bike a HD Springer Classic. This was like going to a cadillac from the sportster and longer rides were now a breeze for me and my wife and we did not feel cramped. Still have this bike but it is more of a local bike now and not used to tour on.

And now the SF and all I can say is that it is the best bike I have ever owned and for long trips it is custom fit for me. Can't get enough of it.

So why did I just tell you all of this? To tell you that even though my first bikes were great and fun, I could never go back to them and try to make them something they are not. They are not touring bikes, nor are they built for comfort.

·
Rider
1,071 Posts
All my rides are from 300 -- 600 mile days, for that Chief does with ease, as others said, how are you going to use the Indian, road work with the Chief, or in town riding where the Scout would work fine?

·
Rider
985 Posts
Go with the Bobber then and be done with since you already had the Challenger as your touring bike. To me if you want a nibble fast bike for short trips/canyon carving then go for the bobber or FTR. Have you looked at the HD Iron 1200? Similar to the old xlcr. Cafe racer style. Mini fairing. If wanting Indian only then the bobber should fit the bill for you.

Good luck. I think either the bobber or the xlcr would work for you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a 19 Chieftain, an 18 Low Rider, and a 16 Sportster Roadster. One of each size lol. All depends on what you want to do with em.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Go with the Bobber then and be done with since you already had the Challenger as your touring bike. To me if you want a nibble fast bike for short trips/canyon carving then go for the bobber or FTR. Have you looked at the HD Iron 1200? Similar to the old xlcr. Cafe racer style. Mini fairing. If wanting Indian only then the bobber should fit the bill for you.

Good luck. I think either the bobber or the xlcr would work for you.
Not a fan of HD, but I do like the Iron 1200, colors look like a throwback to the 80's. Love it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts