Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver member
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose you wanted to buy a good used bike to ride for a while, then sell at not too much of a loss. What would you get or look for?

We just added a Yamaha V Star 250 to our two-Scout household. It's small but actually a lot of fun. I may sell it in the spring or keep it for a second season.

I'm on the look out to expand the fleet. @J Backlund you seem to do this a lot. Any tips?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Old Harleys (y)
Beginner bikes like that V-star or a Honda Rebel are easy to sell.
Street size Enduro bikes like a KLR650 or a DR650 are great second bikes and sell well
Older '90s air cooled Ducati's seemed to have hit bottom these days too but the maintenance costs are high on those if you can't do it yourself. (probably has something to do with the lower resale value... like a Jaguar)

·
Rider
1,024 Posts
Honda Shadow, Suzuki boulevard also

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Alright I’ll hit you with an oddball. Used Suzuki burgman 650 scooters are an absolute blast to ride and hold their value like mad. They’re also hyper practical vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any 15 yr old and older Harley with low miles is pretty much bottomed out in price. You can ride and pretty much get your money back.
I would recommend Victory instead of HD. You can get a late (2017?) model Victory Octane or even the Gunner for almost the same price ($6-$8k). Both with smoke anything HD has to offer. Actually, they will also smoke their Indian counterparts.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dang.. just about anything that suits your fancy if you buy it at a good enough price.. Adventure style is a fun category

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,404 Posts
Suppose you wanted to buy a good used bike to ride for a while, then sell at not too much of a loss. What would you get or look for?

We just added a Yamaha V Star 250 to our two-Scout household. It's small but actually a lot of fun. I may sell it in the spring or keep it for a second season.

I'm on the look out to expand the fleet. @J Backlund you seem to do this a lot. Any tips?
Yes! In general, be prepared to spend too much money when you buy, and lose too much money when you trade or sell, and learn to accept that reality...and perhaps even enjoy it. It works for me.

Truth is, I don't pay a lot of attention to the money-loss end of buying, selling, and trading-in motorcycles, I have as many bikes as I can afford...though I've pretty much abandoned the 'premium brands' in recent years where it concerns new machines....you know, Harley, Indian, and BMW. I have NO interest in $20,000+ motorcycles anymore, nor do I have any interest in $150 an hour shop rates if it's at all unavoidable.

I may buy another Indian one day, but it will be a minty-as-possible 2014-15 Classic if I do. I know I can get a great used example of that bike for no more, or even less than the cost of a new HD Sportster.

By the way...anyone want a very nice '15 XL1200C? 4800 miles, $5500?
Oooooh! she's a beaut, too...

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,404 Posts
Alright I’ll hit you with an oddball. Used Suzuki burgman 650 scooters are an absolute blast to ride and hold their value like mad. They’re also hyper practical vehicles.
You need to buy those used, not new. As new machines they're a bit spendy at $10,000+, but as said above, they are really interesting machines and surprisingly fun to ride. They are usefully quick for their weight (about 625 for a gassed up executive model) and hp (rated at 54, but don't let that fool you, it's a strong 54), comfortable enough to tour on, easy on gas, very quiet and smooth-running. They can zip down an interstate all day (all week, too) and would make a great solo touring rig.
The 650 Burgman is very good on curvy roads, and can be ridden aggressively on them, and are fun to do so. A good running 650 Burgman will go an actual 110 mph on level ground and in still air, though they might read higher than that because they are notorious for their 10% 'optimistic' speedometers

You can ride a 650 Burgman on the warmest days, and they handle heat very, very, well, and don't roast it's riders with engine heat, almost none it it ever reaches you.

Their suspension does suck, however, and can be quite harsh riding on bad pavement, a combination of cheap components and the smaller wheels, which don't roll over road irregularities quite as well as the larger wheels on motorcycles

We've owned four of the damned things, a 2006 and 2007 purchased as new bikes, a beat up 2003 that I bought from a local guy for $300 who had it in his shed for five years. It took about another $500 to get it cleaned up and running decently again, but I sold it a few months later and got all my money back on it.

My last Burgman was a minty, used, 2015 Executive model that I bought from a local dealer for about 6G's if I remember correctly. I rode it a season, then traded it in on my current '15 Sportster.

Don't let anyone tell you differently, Suzuki 650 Burgmans are great bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts