Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the stock pirellies and they lasted almost 3000 miles. To me that's not much. Switched to michelin commander 3. So far I've got just over 4000 miles on them. They are wearing awesome! They handle and ride better than stock and we all know how a stock scout rides. All the help it can get! Great tires.

·
Registered
635 Posts
6000 miles now on my michelin 3's. Great tires but there is one thing I've noticed. They react to imperfections in the road more so than the stock tires. I attribute it to the fact that they're rounded which improves cornering but makes them more sensitive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
6000 miles now on my michelin 3's. Great tires but there is one thing I've noticed. They react to imperfections in the road more so than the stock tires. I attribute it to the fact that they're rounded which improves cornering but makes them more sensitive.
I agree that they are more sensitive to road conditions. I have about 2000 miles on mine and noticed that they really don't like tar snakes. The previous Night Dragons seemed better for rough roads and tar snakes. I attribute it to the hardness of the tire. I have also noticed considerable more vibration at highway speeds with the commander IIIs. Overall, a harsher ride. Handling has been great though. I've have now had the Kenda's, the Pirelli night dragons, and these. I had about 12,500 on the Pirellis and they still looked good when I changed them out. The Kenda's were the most stable at high speed, the Pirellis were terrible at high speed and the Commanders have been good at relatively high speeds -at least that's the case with my large Memphis Shades Rio Grande Windshield.

·
Registered
325 Posts
A lot of people swear by the Avon Cobra Chromes... I ordered a set (WW) for my Bobber that's still being built. I've heard the stock tires are trash and wanted to make sure I've got decent grip for the ride home after picking up the bike.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The CIII's were a little rich for my blood, as I have two bikes and spending that much $$ on tires is no bueno. I have Bridgestone Battlecruisers on both of mine and am very pleased with the. Grip is excellent, lean in is better than that the stock tires, even with a 180 on the rear, and on both my Bobber and Road King they are wearing excellent so far. They claim that they are a 15-20k mile tire, but I can't attest to that so far. Total cost was about 65% of the cost of a set of C III's. Also, I think they look cool 😎

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also changed to commander 3's

Overall really happy with them - good mix of wear and traction.

Only complaint is wet weather traction has been poor in my experience. I don't have an ABS equipped bobber and super easy to lock up the rear or feel the back break loose. Maybe just me though?

·
Registered
325 Posts
The CIII's were a little rich for my blood, as I have two bikes and spending that much $$ on tires is no bueno. I have Bridgestone Battlecruisers on both of mine and am very pleased with the. Grip is excellent, lean in is better than that the stock tires, even with a 180 on the rear, and on both my Bobber and Road King they are wearing excellent so far. They claim that they are a 15-20k mile tire, but I can't attest to that so far. Total cost was about 65% of the cost of a set of C III's. Also, I think they look cool 😎
Curious... how much was a set of Commander III's for you?

·
Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,209 Posts
I know they are made in the UK, but as a comparison I bought a set of Avon Cobra Chromes sizes are 300 X 35 X 18 and 130 X 70 X 18 for $455 in your money! The C3s in regular sizes seem extortionate to me?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Green Light

Here is my current rear at 5500 miles and I do have a tendency to lean on the gas.To me they are the only tire I would fit for my road conditions, climate and riding style. They can be relied upon year round in the wet as well.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

1 - 10 of 10 Posts