Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Indian Scout
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been mentioned before on the forum, but I’m in search of some kind of polish/cleaner that will keep the chrome from pitting over time. I keep my Scout in the garage but the humidity averages high where I live any thoughts? One local bike repair shop nearby says he swears that Nare that women use on their legs keeps the rust off his spoke rims.

·
Bronze member
2,564 Posts
Try Never Dull, it‘s my favorite chrome polish. The chemical is in cotton wadding, so there’s no drips or getting the cleaner out of hard to reach places. There’s not really anything you can put on chrome to give it a protective layer.

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
919 Posts
My bike is now over 7 years old and folks can't believe how it looks brand new. The secret is Liquid Glass, I use it on everything, paint, plastic, chrome, and all other metal. Some even use it on their windshields but I haven't tried that.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
143 Posts
1F5B0272-606D-4D9D-844B-7AEFC75C2CF5.jpeg
I agree with 65Cabriolet - Mother’s California Gold. It is working great for me on my Vintage.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you want to protect the chrome from the elements I would use a wax and not a polish. Polishes have fine abrasives in them and will remove some of the material you are polishing. For example you can rub a dull looking piece of aluminum with Semichrome and make it shine like chrome. The rag will be black because you removed some aluminum So if you went crazy with polish all the time you could thin the chrome plating possibly exposing copper plating. So use a wax most of the time to shine and protect. and a polish rarely, maybe if specks of rust are coming through.

·
Registered
249 Posts
In my experience If the chrome part is high Quality and well done you will not have any problem with it rusting but if it’s poor quality chrome there is not much you can do because most of the time the rust starts from under the chrome not the top. I just clean my bike with a waterless cleaner like “Show Time” and a microfiber rag and my chrome looks good for years. My 2008 HD the chrome looks like brand new and I ride that bike in every type of weather you can think of and just try to keep it clean between rides or when stored. Keep it clean and try not to use anything that puts scratches in the chrome.

·
Bronze member
3,097 Posts
Lived by the ocean once,man nothing works.
Glad I moved years ago as my vintage would not hold up as well as my old harleys I don't think.
Hell my chrome is not doing so well in 5 years on mine and it's treated a lot better than the hds in my youth.

·
Registered
417 Posts
A detailer friend of mine turned me onto Wenol. I've been happy with it.

Phil

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lived by the ocean once,man nothing works.
Glad I moved years ago as my vintage would not hold up as well as my old harleys I don't think.
Hell my chrome is not doing so well in 5 years on mine and it's treated a lot better than the hds in my youth.
One thing people can not knock HD for is the quality of the paint and chrome. My HD is the only bike I ever owned that after 12 years every piece of chrome on the bike looks as good as new. Never seen a Japanese bikes chrome last more than a season or two with out rusting or showing some wear. Not sure how the scouts chrome will hold up but so far so good.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Clean the chrome then wax, leave the wax on for 20 minutes, then rub off with a microfibre cloth.

The wax will seal the chrome and discourage any water getting in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts