Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 21 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the best way/place to tie in my Garmin Zumo GPS power cabling. Maybe the music and other features as well, but that is just a bonus, if you did it...
I have my mount on the right handlebar close to the fairing.
I have yet to dive into my fairing, so any Pictures and Instructions are appreciated!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,913 Posts
I don't leave mine on all the time. I can mount mine in about 2 minutes. I don't use the music from it, I bluetooth from my phone or just use a memory stick. I just made up a 12 VDC plug in for power. I added a two pin adapter so I can switch it between my GPS and a battery tender. Works great for me. Dean GPS1.jpg GPS2.jpg GPS3.jpg

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
A guy that goes by the name of DAVETPILOT (I think) makes a perfect adapter that is basically the NAV harness for Indians. Do a search for that name or someone can correct it if incorrect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A guy that goes by the name of DAVETPILOT (I think) makes a perfect adapter that is basically the NAV harness for Indians. Do a search for that name or someone can correct it if incorrect.
Yep, this is the best option for all Chieftans and Roadmasters. Easy to do. Also somewhere in this thread someone asked if a rectangular ball mount could be mounted on the flat surface just above the instrument cluster. The answer is yes and attached are photos of mine. Much better than the bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Looking for the best way/place to tie in my Garmin Zumo GPS power cabling. Maybe the music and other features as well, but that is just a bonus, if you did it...
I have my mount on the right handlebar close to the fairing.
I have yet to dive into my fairing, so any Pictures and Instructions are appreciated!
Was wondering what you went with and how it is working for you? I just got a 590LM and would like to hardwire it. Leaning towards the Dave T Pilot adapter.

·
Registered
946 Posts
First , I should point out that my GPS is a Garmin 765 Nuvi (the only model that Garmin ever produced with Bluetooth capability) so it is not a Zumo . I use primarily my Google phone as GPS on the right side
pic

and the Garmin on the left side as a back up . There are some parts of Florida where the GPS phone don`t work well and I was stranded last summer with 100 degrees temp , so I decided to get me a dedicated GPS as a back up and I didn`t want to spend a lot of money on the Zumo so I went with the Nuvi which I got on ebay , fully loaded with everything , red light, etc etc and upgraded to 2017 maps for $70 bucks .
I recognize that the op is looking for a Zumo install , so this would not work for him .
I am posting it anyway as an informative post , in case anybody else is looking to install a Nuvi like mine .
Since my GPS is a Garmin NUVI and not a Zumo , the connections are different and, consequently , the David T pilot Zumo harness would not work for me .
Well, what is did is essentially this : , there is a male connector on the lower inside left side of the fairing (you don`t to take out the fairing or anything) just look for it .
here is a pic of it

This connector works with the ignition , so , when you turn the engine off, it will turn off. and viceversa .
All I needed was a female connector (because Indian , in her extreme saving cheaply streak , doesn`t provide the female part , so I went to ebay and ordered one complete connector for a couple of dollars and used only the female part .
Pic :

I then , used the GPS cable that comes with a cigarette lighter and cut the lighter connection so I connected the female 2 cables (positive and negative) to the cigarette cable`s positive and negative and I used heat wrapping tube to sealed the connection .
Pic:

Then I installed the GPS on the left side and after measuring its length , routed the cable to the GPS (or to the right if the cable is long enough) and I was done .
I use my helmet Sena20S bluetooth connected to the GPs so the instructions are going straight to my ears .

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was wondering what you went with and how it is working for you? I just got a 590LM and would like to hardwire it. Leaning towards the Dave T Pilot adapter.
Absolutely the Dave T Pilot! Fast, Easy, Reliable. So glad I didn't have to cut, test, solder, and generally monkey around.

Reactions: Aargow

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, what is did is essentially this : , there is a male connector on the lower inside left side of the fairing (you don`t to take out the fairing or anything) just look for it .
here is a pic of it

This connector works with the ignition , so , when you turn the engine off, it will turn off. and viceversa .
All I needed was a female connector (because Indian , in her extreme saving cheaply streak , doesn`t provide the female part , so I went to ebay and ordered one complete connector for a couple of dollars and used only the female part .
Pic :

I then , used the GPS cable that comes with a cigarette lighter and cut the lighter connection so I connected the female 2 cables (positive and negative) to the cigarette cable`s positive and negative and I used heat wrapping tube to sealed the connection .
Pic:

Then I installed the GPS on the left side and after measuring its length , routed the cable to the GPS (or , in your case to the right , if the cable is long enough) and I was done .
I use my helmet Sena20S bluetooth connected to the GPs so the instructions are going straight to my ears .

Nice setup. That Nuvi isn't water resistant, right? I killed one getting caught in a storm. The advantage to the Dave T Pilot, is the audio comes right over the speakers in the dash, much like the new Ride Command System, without all the other niceties the RCS brings along, and it's Plug-N-Play. Congrats on your setup though, does everything you need, except be waterproof (rain).

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Absolutely the Dave T Pilot! Fast, Easy, Reliable. So glad I didn't have to cut, test, solder, and generally monkey around.
Thanks for the info, PrometheusVII. Just placed the order with Dave. Two more questions: It looks like the 2.5mm microphone and 3.5mm audio-in wires, on the Garmin harness, are not needed for this installation. Did you just tape those off? Also, the USB, I assume, is used to load premade map files. Did you just route that to the vicinity of the other USB (right inside faring compartment)?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,913 Posts
First , I should point out that my GPS is a Garmin 765 Nuvi (the only model that Garmin ever produced with Bluetooth capability) so it is not a Zumo . I use primarily my Google phone as GPS on the right side
pic

and the Garmin on the left side as a back up . There are some parts of Florida where the GPS phone don`t work well and I was stranded last summer with 100 degrees temp , so I decided to get me a dedicated GPS as a back up and I didn`t want to spend a lot of money on the Zumo so I went with the Nuvi which I got on ebay , fully loaded with everything , red light, etc etc and upgraded to 2017 maps for $70 bucks .
I recognize that the op is looking for a Zumo install , so this would not work for him .
I am posting it anyway as an informative post , in case anybody else is looking to install a Nuvi like mine .
Since my GPS is a Garmin NUVI and not a Zumo , the connections are different and, consequently , the David T pilot Zumo harness would not work for me .
here is a pic of it

Pic :

Pic:

Then I installed the GPS on the left side and after measuring its length , routed the cable to the GPS (or to the right if the cable is long enough) and I was done .

Sorry but you are wrong. The Old Zumo 550 had Bluetooth as well as my new Zumo 590LM. Matter of fact one of my complaints on the 590 is Bluetooth fighting between the bike, my IPhone and the Zumo. I run music from my phone to the bike. The new Zumo tries to run interference between the two every time it powers up. I could just turn off the Bluetooth on the Zumo but them I lose the apps that show weather on the Zumo. Using the Davetpilot harness works fine for audio directions from the Zumo but music from the Zumo through that harness sounds bad. Sounds much better either using the USB on the bike or using the Bluetooth from my phone. Dean

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info, PrometheusVII. Just placed the order with Dave. Two more questions: It looks like the 2.5mm microphone and 3.5mm audio-in wires, on the Garmin harness, are not needed for this installation. Did you just tape those off? Also, the USB, I assume, is used to load premade map files. Did you just route that to the vicinity of the other USB (right inside faring compartment)?
Yes, taped and shrink wrapped both unused jacks. Also, I routed the USB to the handlebar (for now) to charge my phone. I'm not a maps guru yet (wish I was). My plan is to set up a marine-grade USB in the dash though.

Reactions: DaGrieso and Aargow

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry but you are wrong. The Old Zumo 550 had Bluetooth as well as my new Zumo 590LM. Matter of fact one of my complaints on the 590 is Bluetooth fighting between the bike, my IPhone and the Zumo. I run music from my phone to the bike. The new Zumo tries to run interference between the two every time it powers up. I could just turn off the Bluetooth on the Zumo but them I lose the apps that show weather on the Zumo. Using the Davetpilot harness works fine for audio directions from the Zumo but music from the Zumo through that harness sounds bad. Sounds much better either using the USB on the bike or using the Bluetooth from my phone. Dean
Agree! The Music through the Zumo BT sounds like hell! I haven't tried using an SD card into it, but I suspect the same (could be wrong though, it may sound just fine). Yes, BT with the Zumo just fights with the bike. I leave it off.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Thanks for the Bluetooth information, Dean. I haven't crossed that bridge yet. When riding with friends, I usually wear a Sena intercom. I just use that for intercom and play music through my faring speakers. GPS instructions could be routed to the Sena but the Sena is so finicky that I'll probably just use the faring speakers for that.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I think that perhaps I did not articulated my assertion correctly ... automobile GPS units do not need Bluetooth capability and the Garmin Nuvi models are made for cars , so , consequently , Nuvi units don`t have Bluetooth capability .The only one model ever made by Garmin on the Nuvi models that had Bluetooth capability was the 765 Nuvi model , which is also made for cars , but for some unknown reason , Garmin included Bluetooth on those limited units . Garmin also makes dedicated Zumo GPS units for motorcycles and of course , all of them have bluetooth capability .

·
Registered
946 Posts
Nice setup. That Nuvi isn't water resistant, right? I killed one getting caught in a storm. The advantage to the Dave T Pilot, is the audio comes right over the speakers in the dash, much like the new Ride Command System, without all the other niceties the RCS brings along, and it's Plug-N-Play. Congrats on your setup though, does everything you need, except be waterproof (rain).
You are right , it does not have protection against water , but I have found out that unless it is a real heavy rain and if I am moving , the windshield will deviate the rain from hitting both the GPS unit and the phone on the right side of the handlebars .
Having said that , I can just push a button on the base and take the unit out completely and put it on my pocket jacket , or whatever . It would take only 1 second to do that , and so the same thing with the phone . Once the heavy rain stops , back to the handlebars again .
Also a comment on the sound :
I use my Sena 20S for music on my phone /GPS instructions and also for the Nuvi GPS instructions , that since they go straight into my earbuds, there is no noise or interference at all . Both Google phone GPS and the Nuvi GPS would interrupt the phone music to give the driving instructions when necessary, and after , the music comes back automatically .
The speakers on the bike ... at first I tried to connect the Bluetooth from the bike and it worked but it was turning off and on constantly every 2 or 3 minutes , so I got pissed off and eliminated the bike Bluetooth from the loop .
I have upgraded the bike`s speakers and everything , so if I want to hear them I insert a music stick into the USB connector (which I transplanted to the front dash) or I can tune and hear the bike`s radio . I only do that when I want to impress someone at the beach while being parked or so . Normally , I use my Sena helmet Bluetooth system for everything .

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use the USB port to power my Satellite Radio and the 3.5 jack to feed the Satellite Radio signal into the Zumo then on to the stereo radio. Works great and you don't have to search for an unused radio frequency while traveling. I don't use the mike jack but didn't do anything to seal it off and so far no problems. I use the same Satellite receiver in my truck, patrol car, and on the motorcycle, just bought two extra cradles, power cords, and antennas.

1 - 21 of 22 Posts