Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Best Performance oriented upgrades for the 116?

1520 14
Right now I've got a '21 Chieftain Elite with the stage 1 Indian intake (2881779-521), Rinehart slip ons and stage 2 Indian cams. With the Dynojet PV3 I had it put on a Dyno and got 126tq/106hp. I want more.

I've seen a few posts on here from a few years back that claim someone has 140+t/117hp? How can I achieve this kinds of numbers without voiding warranty, or sacrificing reliability (the bike is my daily - no car).

I was considering the Lloyds big bore build but im on the west coast so if something goes wrong with that I dont want to be hosed. Recently I've been looking into the Rinehart slimline headers (100-0553) since they now make ones that will fit the 2021's and that will get rid of cat heat as well as offer me some 18mm o2 sensors for better tuning.

So what are the best mods I can do from here?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Indian Roadmaster Icon
604 Posts
Reliability? I think your maxed out right now for reliability. There is a direct correlation between performance and reliability. Can’t remember his name, but there’s a guy that has around 400-500k on a stock Chieftain, 100% stock.

·
Bronze member
5,997 Posts
Right now I've got a '21 Chieftain Elite with the stage 1 Indian intake (2881779-521), Rinehart slip ons and stage 2 Indian cams. With the Dynojet PV3 I had it put on a Dyno and got 126tq/106hp. I want more.

I've seen a few posts on here from a few years back that claim someone has 140+t/117hp? How can I achieve this kinds of numbers without voiding warranty, or sacrificing reliability (the bike is my daily - no car).

I was considering the Lloyds big bore build but im on the west coast so if something goes wrong with that I dont want to be hosed. Recently I've been looking into the Rinehart slimline headers (100-0553) since they now make ones that will fit the 2021's and that will get rid of cat heat as well as offer me some 18mm o2 sensors for better tuning.

The PV3 already voids the warranty so you are already there. The slimline headers will have zero effect. The Indian headers are the best performing headers on the 111/116. The slimline headers just don't reduce performance like everyone else. Also 1.75 in baffles are the best for performance as well but makes the bike quiet.

The slimline headers give you about the same is the Indian header with the CAT installed. Be careful, they lower ground clearance and many threads here of sever scraping with them.

If you really want power, get a Challenger

·
Registered
265 Posts

Lloydz 585 cams,Venom Plenum intake w/60 mm throttlebody,and Reinhart slimline header-all will void your warranty,but will also get you in the mid teens in HP,and TQ should jump close to 140 IF you get a proper custom tune to maximize the 585 cams,and the rest of the performance parts.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The venom plenum and good tune are the way to go. I don't think the couple hp you will get with 585's over the 116 Stage 2's is worth the cost.
I sold my 585s to a forum member who installed them in his 116 and he said it pulled way harder than the Stg.3 cams- he was really impressed! Theres probably at least 10 hp,and 10 ft lbs of torque gained by switching to the 585s in a 116.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Dark Horse
20 Posts
Switched out my Stage II for Voodoo Air intake and lost 7 horses and 3 lbs. of torque on my 22 Chief DH. Did it for the look, and thankfully I don't notice it, but it did suck to see that on the most recent dyno. Ahh, the delicate balance between the look and the performance.

·
Registered
2021 Roadmaster DH in White Smoke
256 Posts
Switched out my Stage II for Voodoo Air intake and lost 7 horses and 3 lbs. of torque on my 22 Chief DH. Did it for the look, and thankfully I don't notice it, but it did suck to see that on the most recent dyno. Ahh, the delicate balance between the look and the performance.
On your bike isn't stage II adding cams? I can see removing the stage II cams and adding a VooDoo intake and losing some HP and Tq, but I think I am missing something.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,989 Posts
Yeah with Indian the Intakes and exhausts are Stage One by themselves and the cams are Stage two. But on the new Chiefs the Stage Two kit includes the intake & exhaust along with the cams and a larger throttle body.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Dark Horse
20 Posts
On your bike isn't stage II adding cams? I can see removing the stage II cams and adding a VooDoo intake and losing some HP and Tq, but I think I am missing something.
I know exactly why it happened. Yes, I have Stage II cams, but 'I think' the problem is the mounting back-plate for the Voodoo intake. It's a conversation from the stock 116 back-plate to accept a 111 plate as the Voodoo was designed for. So slightly less air. With a stage II kit, the round Indian intake gathers a bit more air than the Voodoo. Like I said, I don't notice it. It's psychological more than anything. The aesthetics are awesome enough that I accept the small loss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
116 ish HP 135 ish TQ is strong. A HP per cube on a pump gas air cooled bike. I'm just starting to learn the Thunderstroke. Is it a 2 valve head? Does anyone offer ported big valve heads?
I read 10 HP is 2 bike lengths per gear. If true over 2,3 & 4th gear you would pick up 6 bike lengths on your buddies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts