Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks! One of funnest things about this bike was waving to HD riders. As I'm sure most of you have experienced, some of them wave back and some of them stick their nose up in the air and ride by. With this bike, the guys that wouldn't think of waving back at a Honda, started to wave and then, as you got close, you could see the confusion on their face when they realized there were cylinders hanging out of each side ;) .
Yep! Experienced that many times!

Back in 1998-99 we entered the Valk in a bike show (had the fairing on then). It was about 90% Harleys. I did have a few curious guys asking where the fairing came from (60's vintage FLH). Then we won first place in the "Asian" class. I was going to ask them "since when is Ohio in Asia?", seeing as how the Valks were built in the Marysville, OH and have "Made in USA" stamped right on the engine. But being surrounded by Harley guys with an attitude, I decided it was best not to! :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
178 Posts

The only other bike I've owned. 2001 Ducati 748. It was totaled when a car changed lanes into me, while passing me. I was coming up to a red light and was sitting straight up, in neutral with my hands not on the handle bars. I saw his blinker on and was applying rear brake to let him over, he wasn't patient enough apparently. He ran from the crash and fortunately, a good samaritan caught up with him and got his license plate for the police.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a track bike. I'm overweight and finding leathers that would fit would probably be the most difficult part. Nothing like riding out of the pits on to a track though.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I remember when the Valkyrie first came out. I was really impressed by it and would’ve bought one if I would’ve had the money.

I really loved the color of the 2008 105th anniversary edition Harley Davidson Road glide. I remember some people said it reminded them of a Duracell battery but I love the color. It is probably why my current motorcycle is bronze smoke. It was the closest color they had to copper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Has to be my '98 Dolphin Blue BMW K1200RS. She gave me no issues and could run flat out for hours without breaking a sweat. Smooth torque in every gear and was fast for a big touring bike. She was my main ride in upstate WA for years. Was solid in the rain, wind or heat, mother nature rarely gave me concern. Definitely miss that beast!

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,266 Posts
Thanks for that, I've owned eight Italian bikes over the years but those two stand out for the emotional pull, rather than the financial could have been!
The snarl of a 180 Jota on the overrun really made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, there's never been anything else like it.
Well Norm, I figured it couldn't be because of any comfort factor in the case of the Ducati, anyway. ;)

You see, I have a close friend back in my old stompin' grounds of Los Angeles who's owned a 1977 900SS for over 20 years now. I helped him trailer it the day he purchased it for as I recall about $7K. And yes, it was in near perfect shape.

Here's the link to his collection of bikes and with one of them being this very machine. And be sure to check out his entire collection while you're at it...

(...and btw, my little joke up there about "comfort" was borne from my few experiences while riding Phil's 900SS a time or two...we'd swap bikes occasionally while out riding together, and in this case with him taking over the reins of my old Triumph Bonneville and with me jumping on his beautiful bevel-drive Duc...and while his bike was a joy to throw into the twisties and with its wonderful motor making very sexy sounds while supplying a wonderfully wide rev range, it would take all of about half an hour on it before I'd pull up next to him and ask him for my bike back...yep, it's one beautiful bike alright, but oooh WEEE, that baby has to be THE most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden)

101 - 107 of 107 Posts