Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my Scout this weekend. It's used- only 300 miles and I feel like the deal I got on it is almost stealing (it's winter in MN, bikes don't move). The other reason is it's fairly bare bones. I am saving enough to make this exactly what I want.

SO, what is your best accessory or modification that you have done on your bike? (Not Scout exclusive).

·
Registered
901 Posts
For the scout a set of slip ons and the digital guard dawg keyless ignition.

Reactions: PeacePipe

·
Registered
567 Posts
For the Scout, replacing the pegs with floorboards, getting the seat re-foamed by Mean City Cycles or buy a better seat. Comfort for me before noise and speed. Most add-ons are personnel preference but it is hard to ride out a tankful of gas without a little more comfort added to the Scout.

The most expensive but absolutely the best upgrade I did was to send my front forks and rear shocks to Traxxion Suspension to be rebuild and set up to my weight and riding style, day and night over stock. I also added better tires...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Headlamp.. get rid of the stock headlamp..it’s horrible and dangerous to drive anytime when it’s dim/dark out .

My Corbin Brave Saddle is another that my rear ended thanked me for changing out the stock seat :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,078 Posts
The early Scouts had very poor suspension. It's since been improved but depending on the year of your bike you might care to consider new stuff. One of the things I was considering on my Scout, even after having custom shocks made, was a sprung saddle from MotherRoads. That will give more travel over rough roads.

The lean angle is not good on the Scout and some foot boards come too far back and scrape too soon (I had Aeromach and had to take them off). Smaller foot boards are better in that regard. @Gort on this forum makes GortBoards which are narrow at the rear so they don't scrape so soon.

Slip ons will make it sound like a motorcycle. Indian Stage 1 pipes are more expensive than others but the sound is not so loud or sharp.

If you go for a windshield, the Indian ones are not worth the money. They cause a lot of buffeting (taller ones are worse) and you'll find a lot of posts on here about it. Finding a good windshield is not easy. Fork lowers are probably the best way to ease buffeting. It's been a while since I sold my Scout and I'm not up with what's on the market in that regard.

A PV3 from Fuel Moto will allow new tunes to be flashed to the bike and will wake it up a bit, especially if it's a Scout 60.

This might sound a bit silly but it used to be a problem for some. The keyring can quickly wear through the key metal. If you put the key into the ignition with the ring at the bottom it can wear through and you lose the ring and any other keys along the road. Put the key into the ignition with the ring at the top, not the bottom. There are pics of a worn away key somewhere back on the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts