Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Early joiner
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I don't have my service manual yet but I am doing my 500 mile service this weekend. Does anyone know the belt tension spec on a Vintage? Also, I read that the right switch on the back side of the bars is not used on the Vintage. Does anyone know if there is factory wiring to it that can be picked up under the seat maybe? I want to hard wire my garage door opener to it. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
419 Posts
With belt tension gauge set @ 10 lbs belt should be deflected 1.1" or 8 notches on the belt guard.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
Hello All. I don't have my service manual yet but I am doing my 500 mile service this weekend. Does anyone know the belt tension spec on a Vintage? Also, I read that the right switch on the back side of the bars is not used on the Vintage. Does anyone know if there is factory wiring to it that can be picked up under the seat maybe? I want to hard wire my garage door opener to it. Any help is appreciated.
Careful with your oil drain plug!! http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/fo...ral-discussion/1158-oil-drain-plug-alert.html

·
Early joiner
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shuje, I saw that earlier. That would stink to loose my threads on the first shot!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have 15K on my Classic, noticed a chirping noise coming from the rear wheel. Thought it might be a bearing or something, took it in and tech checked the tension which was fine but as we looked closer saw that the belt was rubbing on the inside of the drive sprocket. He adjusted (had to get it off the ground first) with the nut on the left side of the rear wheel, left plenty of space between belt and sprocket, no more chirping. Probably need to check that periodically, before it starts chirping somewhere a long way from home...

·
Early joiner
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Indijoe. My tension was only three pounds! Someone dropped the ball on setup.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts