Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of wear is everyone seeing on the TS111 drive belt? High mileage folks, please weigh in; dealer observations also appreciated! I'd like to keep this specific to Indian drive belts to limit responses for myself and other Forum members.

My situation - 2015 Roadmaster with over 33,000 miles, 95% highway and 5% dirt and gravel. I recently began towing a Time Out Camper Trailer, with about 1,600 towing miles this year. Drive belt appears OK, as confirmed by the dealership. They recommended that I wait to replace it, but I'm concerned about remaining life expectancy. The 2015 Rider's Manual calls for belt replacement at 30,000 miles. My situation is that the rear TPMS sensor went bad, so the wheel is coming off (for warranty work) anyway.

Given the distance between dealerships and the fact that my rides can exceed 1,500 miles a trip, am I being overly conservative in wanting it changed now? All of the miles on the bike are mine, and am planning for 15,000+ miles of riding next year if all goes according to plans.

·
If you cant go fast you better look good
497 Posts
change it!! since it will be in shop and have rear wheel off- easy decision. put the spare in a bag for long trips just in case! win / win!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,860 Posts
I have my original belt on and at 41k it seems to be fine. We have many on the forum that have put many more miles on their bikes but I'm not sure if the have changed their belts yet. I inspect mine frequently.

·
Silver member
3,368 Posts
My dealer says some of the recommended services are excessively conservative but he does recommend doing the belt according to the manual.

I'll be changing mine when I get to 30k.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
What sort of wear is everyone seeing on the TS111 drive belt? High mileage folks, please weigh in; dealer observations also appreciated! I'd like to keep this specific to Indian drive belts to limit responses for myself and other Forum members.

My situation - 2015 Roadmaster with over 33,000 miles, 95% highway and 5% dirt and gravel. I recently began towing a Time Out Camper Trailer, with about 1,600 towing miles this year. Drive belt appears OK, as confirmed by the dealership. They recommended that I wait to replace it, but I'm concerned about remaining life expectancy. The 2015 Rider's Manual calls for belt replacement at 30,000 miles. My situation is that the rear TPMS sensor went bad, so the wheel is coming off (for warranty work) anyway.

Given the distance between dealerships and the fact that my rides can exceed 1,500 miles a trip, am I being overly conservative in wanting it changed now? All of the miles on the bike are mine, and am planning for 15,000+ miles of riding next year if all goes according to plans.
I have 45,000 on my 2016 - the last 10,000 miles pushing a Hannigan Sidecar. My Dealership mechanic said the belt shows some signs of wear, but that the belt should be good for 100,000 miles. I asked him about the recommended Belt Change and he said that Polaris has based a lot of their recommended maintenance on the idea that the Average rider will put 4,000 to 5,000 miles on their bike in a typical year. So a 30,000 mile belt would be 6 years old and needing replaced. The same with the Brake Fluid Change - he said that only needs to be done every 3 years.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Have over 45,000 miles on the belt and my 2015 Chieftain, belt looks hardly worn, Dealer says should not change until when it physically appears a new one is needed.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Early joiner
60 Posts
2014 Chieftain - I'm knocking on the door to 50,000. Commuting to work, ride year round and have pulled a KompackKamper from VA to Sturgis and back. The belt barely shows any signs of wear. Will keep it going as long as it doesn't shown any sudden wear issues.

·
Bronze member
1,186 Posts
My last Indian had 80K on the belt and I had 130K on the Orig belt on my softail. So check the belt and if it shows sings or wear consider replacement but other than that take care of it and continue on.

Reactions: Roadie

·
Silver member
3,368 Posts
I guess actual condition should trump all other factors.

Reactions: Fungus
1 - 15 of 15 Posts