Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am aware of other discussion as well as a couple of videos on YouTube on how to align the belt on the 111s.

I have replaced the back tire and unfortunately I have spent hours following the exact procedure and cannot get the belt to stay center with teeth showing on each side.

When rotate the tire backward the belt eventually moves over to the right. When I rotate forward, it shift back to the left. I did this for hours and eventually just set the axle dead centre and tightened up.

I'm hoping this wont cause a problem but out of ideas and patience

Is it that pertinent to have teeth showing on each side of the belt per the manual?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,207 Posts
I've recently went through adjusting my drive belt and ya it can be a pain. I assume you're following the manual? I'd try to get the belt aligned as evenly to both sides as close as possible while rotating the rear tire backwards only. Go for a ride then come back and check. It took me several tries before I got it close to 50/50 even. A plastic mallet helped tapping the left axle/nut forward or back. If you don't get a decent alignment you'll risk possible uneven or premature tire wear to both front and rear tires, drive belt & possible rear wheel bearing failure. Good luck.

·
Bronze member
3,060 Posts
I'll give you guys alittle tip.Rotate the wheel in a forward motion as you're setting the alignment.I tried it the other way too,but no soap.So with nothing to lose,and frustrated [like you guys] and just for shits and giggles,I tried rotating it foward [cause that's the way wheel spins when going down the road] playing with the adjustment nut,and guess what?? It worked!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you guys leaving the torq at 15 ft-lbs when setting?

·
Bronze member
2,207 Posts
No, I tried and wasn't getting enough axle movement. I loosened the axle nut to more like 5lbs or less. Maybe others have had better results, but it what it took for my bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just built this bike and it's taken me a few months to do so. Got all the exhaust, bags and audio wired now and the last thing I want is to take it back off and try all over again. I don't understand why it will not stay in the middle and keeps graduating back and forth depending on which way you rotate the wheel.

I wonder If it has to do with the tension. Someone let me borrow a pressure gauge at the time i tested and it appeared to be correct

·
Bronze member
2,632 Posts
Guys...you can fiddle with that belt for a day trying to get it perfect, only to go for a ride and discover it moved to the right or left. That’s what happened to me. Finally got the belt to ride in the center and after the first ride, it moved to the right. I admitted defeat and left it there. I just noticed this week, the belt is now riding to the left. After having so much trouble, I looked at probably 10 bikes at my IM dealer...none of those belts were in the center, they were either right or left.

I will echo what Davetac 1 posted above...I had better luck spinning the wheel forward (not in reverse like the service manual states). Also, I found making adjustments 1/4 turn at a time worked best. Lastly, it seems when you torque the axle nut, it can mess up your belt tension and you’ve got to start over.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soo, if all these bikes at the dealer dont have centered belts then It is obviously not an issue...

·
Bronze member
3,060 Posts
All I can tell you guys is,I have traveled 18,000 miles since I replacement the original rear tire at the 15,000 mile mark,and the belt remained centered.I have now traveled several hundred miles since replacing that tire last week with another new tire and the belt has STILL REMAINED CENTERED with NO chirping sounds.Everytime I stopped today,plus when I got back home,I checked it and it still remains centered with no tell tale signs of it moving side to side under accel or decel,plus there was no belt noise.[chirping sounds] Now if it was moving side to side or rubbing,the sides of the belt would be dark and shiny from making contact with either side of the cog,plus you may or maynot hear belt noise.[chirping] But it's not doing that.I stopped several times today and checked it and it was still right where I set it with no tell tale signs of it rubbing.
Remember what I said about that Triumph I had which was my first belt drive?? It made noise like you wouldn't believe,but after many attempts to shut it up through trial and error,plus pullin out what little hair I had left on my head,lol lol ,I FINALLY BROKE THE CODE.And that machine was no different from this or any other belt drive machine.Once you break the code [figure it out] you won't forget it. Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
4,114 Posts
Go to an Indian dealer look at the new bikes. Most if not all will have the drive belt on one side of the pulley. There is a really good reason the rear pulley is wider than the belt. The reason is the sing arm of these motorcycles moves up and down and has a little play left and right, it is not rigid. This in itself will cause the belt to move left or right. What you don't want is the belt rubbing up against the side of the pulley.

The wheel alignment marks are dead nuts accurate, I have measured them with calipers.

The procedure in the manual is to fine tune the axle adjustment by centering the belt. But do to manufacturing tolerances, getting the belt in the middle causes you to have to adjust the wheel so it is out of alignment. Some may get the belt to ride in the middle which means either the wheel is out of alignment or they have manufacturing tolerances that work out. This is not just an Indian thing, go look at any brand belt driven bike and you will find most belts don't ride in the middle.

Indian changed the rear pulley design in (2016 maybe later) to a beveled pulley so that when the belt drifted to one side or the other the bevel would keep it from rubbing up against the pulley as long as the alignment was good. (all other bike manufactures have always done this.)

Oh and also Indian put out a tech bulletin years ago saying that it was okay for the belt to be on one side or the other as long as it wasn't rubbing up against the pulley.

·
Bronze member
3,060 Posts
One more thing: The rear wheel has to be raised off the floor/ground,COLD belt, when doing this procedure,which includes the 1.5 or so, inches of free play [up and down movement at the belts' tightest point].Why?? Cause when the tire is on the ground/floor,that free play [up and down movement] will be decreased some what,not to mention,as the belt heats up from usage, that free play will decrease even more.So ya wanna make sure ya have enough free play when the belt is cold ,with the wheel off the floor,so as to compensate for that.Ca pishe??? I hope I'm not confusing anyone?? If I am,please tell me and I'll try to explain again.Sometimes I get carried away when on a subject such as this one.My apologies gentlemen if I am!! Dave!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So I thought i would post an outcome to my inquiry. I attempted the backward and forward rotation and kept getting the belt moving side to side the more I turn. Adjusted the best I could and settled for it. To my suprise, after riding the bike a few times, the belt has stayed almost centered with teeth visible on both sides. I guess I figured it out. After hours of spinning the wheel, it's riding it that will tell if aligned properly or not. I believe someone else mentioned the same experience.

Thanks for the input everyone

·
Rider
1,139 Posts
So I thought i would post an outcome to my inquiry. I attempted the backward and forward rotation and kept getting the belt moving side to side the more I turn. Adjusted the best I could and settled for it. To my suprise, after riding the bike a few times, the belt has stayed almost centered with teeth visible on both sides. I guess I figured it out. After hours of spinning the wheel, it's riding it that will tell if aligned properly or not. I believe someone else mentioned the same experience.

Thanks for the input everyone

Any belt noise....??

My belt rides perfectly centered, tension is good. Still makes a bit of noise when running up on the first 3 gears.

--
Gordon

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven't noticed but only been out on a couple of rides

·
Bronze member
3,060 Posts
When you used the left adjuster to set the alignment,which way did ya rotate the back wheel,forwards or backwards?? The SM and the service manager at the dealership where I bought my scooter,said to rotate it backwards,something to do with the way it sets on the front cog.Well,I tried that on my first rear tire change and no soap.So then I rotated it forwards [cause that's the normal direction it goes in when going forward] and "bingo" it worked.And I've changed two rear tires now using that procedure and my belt is running center and NO NOISE under accel or decel!! But that's me and I'm pretty stupid!!:unsure:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you used the left adjuster to set the alignment,which way did ya rotate the back wheel,forwards or backwards?? The SM and the service manager at the dealership where I bought my scooter,said to rotate it backwards,something to do with the way it sets on the front cog.Well,I tried that on my first rear tire change and no soap.So then I rotated it forwards [cause that's the normal direction it goes in when going forward] and "bingo" it worked.And I've changed two rear tires now using that procedure and my belt is running center and NO NOISE under accel or decel!! But that's me and I'm pretty stupid!!:unsure:
Rotated backwards as per manual and when adjusted enough to start moving it would keep moving to the other side when continuing to rotate. Then forward would go back the other way.

·
Bronze member
3,060 Posts
All I can tell ya is,on both bikes,this one and my last one,both belt drives,that's how I did it because I tried following both SM's,but no soap.Then after a lot of frustration,and experimentation,I did it my way,and I've been a happy camper ever since cause the belt on both machnes ran DEAD CENTER and with NO NOISE.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts