Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping I can finally understand whether my 2020 bobber would need to be tuned and what the process is to do that. I've read a lot of people saying to get a tune if you change the full exhaust system or air filter but I honeslty don't even know what the process is to "get a tune". I want to add some bassani slip ons but keep hearing different things whether one is needed or not. I reached out to bassani and they said a tune is needed. If that's the case, what is the process, cost etc. Is that something I can do on my own or does that require a dyno? Sorry for the newbie question. Here's a link to the slip ons I'm interested in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Buy the Power Vision 3 from Fuel Moto. You'll get the tuner and access to both Dynojet AND FM's tunes (because you bounty it through FM).

The process is a bit more complex, but in short you'll hook up the PV3 to your bike. It'll copy and save the stock tune, as well as some key details about the bike and ecu. You'll email that info to either DJ or FM, then you can download the tune applicable to your bike and setup.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buy the Power Vision 3 from Fuel Moto. You'll get the tuner and access to both Dynojet AND FM's tunes (because you bounty it through FM).

The process is a bit more complex, but in short you'll hook up the PV3 to your bike. It'll copy and save the stock tune, as well as some key details about the bike and ecu. You'll email that info to either DJ or FM, then you can download the tune applicable to your bike and setup.

So I won't have to take my bike to a dyno then? Are there warranty issues with doing this?

·
Registered
198 Posts
So I won't have to take my bike to a dyno then? Are there warranty issues with doing this?
You could take your bike to a Dyno for a superior tune, but the off-the-shelf tunes are typically better than stock anyways (not just for power but things like even A/F ratio across pistons) and don't require a Dyno tune.

Can't speak about how it'll affect your warranty, better call your local service dept to be sure.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
No. Don't have too. It's always a better result, but fuel moto has some solid tunes and has great service if you feel otherwise..

Depends.
It depends on your dealer. If dealer is loyal To you, or loyal to Indian.
It also legally depends on if the tune caused a problem (almost never) than it depends on weather they (Indian) can prove it was the cause of said problem..

So far, Indian has been great concerning this with tunes.

They get it..

Also, I'm one who says a tune on a bike with an o2 sensor, does not need a tune for slip ons.. will it be better? yes. But bad for machine,. No.
Today's rides can comp for something as minor as new muffs.
That said, if it was a 2-1 system, I'd be keeping an eye on things.
New intake or high flow air filter.. yes I would tune..

Bottom line is, if your bike can't take IN more air, it can't really put out more air to dangerously lean out fuel mix..

I ran V&H slash cuts with stock tune for a bit over a year until I went to big bore kit. There was no difference in anything but sound.
Plugs and pipes denoted zero change in fuel enrichment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could take your bike to a Dyno for a superior tune, but the off-the-shelf tunes are typically better than stock anyways (not just for power but things like even A/F ratio across pistons) and don't require a Dyno tune.

Can't speak about how it'll affect your warranty, better call your local service dept to be sure.

Thanks I'll look into it. Sounds easy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. Don't have too. It's always a better result, but fuel moto has some solid tunes and has great service if you feel otherwise..

Depends.
It also legally depends on if the tune caused a problem (almost never) than it depends on weather they (Indian) can prove it was the cause of said problem..

They get it..

Also, I'm one who says a tune on a bike with an o2 sensor, does not need a tune for slip ons.. will it be better? yes. But bad for machine,. No.

Bottom line is, if your bike can't take IN more air, it can't really put out more air to dangerously lean out fuel mix..

I ran V&H slash cuts with stock tune for a bit over a year until I went to big bore kit. There was no difference in anything but sound.
I appreciate it, makes sense. Sounds like I could get the slip ons and then down the road add a filter and a tune if I wanted. Makes more sense now. I assumed a tune required a dyno which I know isn't very cheap.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Depends.

They get it..

I just bought some V&H slash cuts for my 2020 scout bobber. so you are saying that I can just throw them on and dont have to do any type of tune and bike will be fine? it'll just change the sound?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just bought some V&H slash cuts for my 2020 scout bobber. so you are saying that I can just throw them on and dont have to do any type of tune and bike will be fine? it'll just change the sound?
Thanks in advance!
Where did you get those? I cant find them in stock anywhere.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Thanks in advance!
I, and many others did so. Take that for what it is worth.
Keep an eye on pipe by the engine, and how it runs just in case.

·
Registered
397 Posts
To the OP. Don't believe for a second that you can take your bike to anyone who advertises as doing dyno's and that you will leave with a tune that is better suited for your bike. That simply isn't the case and most shops have no idea how to tune a Scout properly. For that matter, many shops don't even know how to do a proper dyno so if you're going that route you better have some knowledge first so you can ask them the right questions to see if they even know what they are doing. Been there, done that; trust me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Good point. When I was speaking about superior tunes from a dyno earlier, I had in mind that you and a dyno operator were working with a tuner to create the right tune for your bike and setup. The dyno operator might in rare cases be the right person to tune it, but most often it's better to find someone familiar with the engine+ECU family and have them coordinate the activities. They'll probably be remote so you'll send files across the interwebs to iterate on the tune. Dynos create a nice stable and repeatable environment for getting the most from custom tuning, but the dyno operators themselves are rarely also tuners.

When I say rarely, I mean there's only one dyno operator and tuner I know of, globally, on the VW EA888 + MED17 ECU (Golf GTI/R, CC, A4, etc.).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To the OP. Don't believe for a second that you can take your bike to anyone who advertises as doing dyno's and that you will leave with a tune that is better suited for your bike. That simply isn't the case and most shops have no idea how to tune a Scout properly. For that matter, many shops don't even know how to do a proper dyno so if you're going that route you better have some knowledge first so you can ask them the right questions to see if they even know what they are doing. Been there, done that; trust me.
Thanks for the heads up. I spoke with my dealer today (chesapeake cycles) who told me a slip on shouldnt require a tune as well. They also said if I want a tune down the road, the indian stage 1 air filter comes with a tune directly from indian. Not sure the quality of those but the price is pretty good.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I spoke with my dealer today (chesapeake cycles) who told me a slip on shouldnt require a tune as well. They also said if I want a tune down the road, the indian stage 1 air filter comes with a tune directly from indian. Not sure the quality of those but the price is pretty good.
I have it the stage 1 air box and tune. Really noticeable and not expensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts