Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I bought my 2018 Roadmaster in April '19.
Having owned it for 4 months now, I have started to make it my own by adding little trinkets and do-dads as I see fit.
So, far, I have purchased 3 genuine OEM Indian Motorcycle Accessories and have been unhappy with 2 of them .....

First disappointment was the front fender fringed mudflap designated for the Roadmaster .... what a piece of crap .... an adhesive stick-on trim ... give me a break.
Returned and exchanged for the Chieftain mudflap ... much better ... the way it should have been in the first place.

Next, I tried an aftermarket backrest that did not work for me so, I ponied up the big bucks for the OEM backrest - I have been very happy with it so far (other than the RIDICULOUS price!)

Now for my latest let down.
I ordered the studded floorboard trim that Indian says will fit my Roadmaster .... it does not.
When I test fit on the bike, the front of the leather trim hits the engine bars - no good.
Also the design is crap.
While the front of the trim wraps around the floorboard toward the engine - the rear just sort of stops at the middle of the floorboard instead of wrapping around another 2-3" so that it would look better ......
Guess I will be looking for an aftermarket solution that fits my aesthetic requirements.

It just seems so ridiculous that for the price Indian is asking for their accessories that what you seem to get is very sub-par.
I love the bike but, am VERY disappointed with their accessories ....

Attachments

·
Founding member
1,029 Posts
Since there is so much going on in the front section of the floorboard, couldn't you just have it go all the way around the back and not all the way in the front? If possible I would have done it that way... I don't disagree with your post just making a suggestion. I generally don't think the lower leather stuff holds up very well if the bike gets ridden in all weather and often..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since there is so much going on in the front section of the floorboard, couldn't you just have it go all the way around the back and not all the way in the front? If possible I would have done it that way... I don't disagree with your post just making a suggestion. I generally don't think the lower leather stuff holds up very well if the bike gets ridden in all weather and often..
If I could alter it - I would .... But, The leather is attached to an ABS plastic mount that mounts to the floorboard.
No way to just adjust/slide the leather trim.

·
Founding member
1,029 Posts
In my garage I would remove the leather, whack some 3m tape on it and reposition... My logic is, I don't like it how it is, so screw it let's see what I can do to make it work for me... lol Sorry though about your bad experiences.

Edited for clarity: I would remove the leather from it's current mounting system and replace that with 3m tape...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my garage I would remove the leather, whack some 3m tape on it and reposition... My logic is, I don't like it how it is, so screw it let's see what I can do to make it work for me... lol Sorry though about your bad experiences.

Edited for clarity: I would remove the leather from it's current mounting system and replace that with 3m tape...
Agreed.
I'm not opposed to altering something to MAKE it fit .... but, for $200 .... it should fit without hacking it up.
It just seems like IM put very little thought into their design ...

I'll look around for what I want and if I don't find what I am looking for ... I will make it what I want.

·
Founding member
1,029 Posts
Sadly I have several accessories in my garage that weren't up to standard and were thus altered in various ways. Expensive hobby and not what I've wanted to do.... but the end result is ok because I can change out multiple pieces on my bike that give it different looks. Not making excuses for Indian not putting out the quality that should especially for the price...

·
Registered
305 Posts
I can understand making alterations to make the best of it,but for the price of the stuff it should be PERFECT from the start!
Cheap and cheerful. you get what you pay for, but when paying top Dollar, top quality would be expected.

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
Having owned it for 4 months now, I have started to make it my own by adding little trinkets and do-dads as I see fit.
So, far, I have purchased 3 genuine OEM Indian Motorcycle Accessories and have been unhappy with 2 of them .....

First disappointment was the front fender fringed mudflap designated for the Roadmaster .... what a piece of crap .... an adhesive stick-on trim ... give me a break.
Returned and exchanged for the Chieftain mudflap ... much better ... the way it should have been in the first place.

Next, I tried an aftermarket backrest that did not work for me so, I ponied up the big bucks for the OEM backrest - I have been very happy with it so far (other than the RIDICULOUS price!)

I ordered the studded floorboard trim that Indian says will fit my Roadmaster .... it does not.
When I test fit on the bike, the front of the leather trim hits the engine bars - no good.
Also the design is crap.
While the front of the trim wraps around the floorboard toward the engine - the rear just sort of stops at the middle of the floorboard instead of wrapping around another 2-3" so that it would look better ......
Guess I will be looking for an aftermarket solution that fits my aesthetic requirements.

It just seems so ridiculous that for the price Indian is asking for their accessories that what you seem to get is very sub-par.
I have a front fender mudflap for my bike but there are 3 bolts that hold it on, no sticker stickem on it.

My floorboard leathers are the same, touches in front and doesn't wrap around fully in the back.

I remember in 2014 we really didn't have much of any accessories.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a front fender mudflap for my bike but there are 3 bolts that hold it on, no sticker stickem on it.

My floorboard leathers are the same, touches in front and doesn't wrap around fully in the back.

I remember in 2014 we really didn't have much of any accessories.

The "Roadmaster" front mudflap uses the 3 bolts to hold on a fringed piece - in addition there is a stick-on leather piece that is supposed to stick to the fender ..... why? ..... I don't know.

The "Chieftain" mudflap is one piece and uses the bolts on the fender to hold it on .... however ... for some reason .... the packaging states clearly it is NOT to be used on the Roadmaster .....
I put it on my Roadmaster with zero issues so, I don't know why they made a specific one for the Roadmaster.
I just know that I was NOT going to stick anything on my paint ....

As for the floorboard trim .... just a bad design in my opinion.
I also have some engine bar wraps from Captain Itch on the way and there is NO WAY they will fit with the floorboard trim.

I'll figure something out.

My overall point is that I don't think Indian is putting near enough thought/quality into their OEM accessories for the premium price they charge.
I hope the aftermarket will pick up and provide more options at a more reasonable price......

·
Founding member
1,029 Posts
@Shuje Sunge completely agree about back in early '14... You couldn't even get a backrest with luggage rack from Indian without a wait. No Passenger Floorboards for about a year.... and there was almost ZERO aftermarket options, many of us bought things designed for other scoots and adapted them.

So yes @Larz_1 you are correct in all that you state, but the sad reality is, we've actually come a long way in both OEM accessories and also Aftermarket support... lol Sad but true.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@Shuje Sunge completely agree about back in early '14... You couldn't even get a backrest with luggage rack from Indian without a wait. No Passenger Floorboards for about a year.... and there was almost ZERO aftermarket options, many of us bought things designed for other scoots and adapted them.

So yes @Larz_1 you are correct in all that you state, but the sad reality is, we've actually come a long way in both OEM accessories and also Aftermarket support... lol Sad but true.
Coming from a metric bike background I am familiar with adapting parts to fit.
I rebuilt my Kawasaki Vulcan 800 from the ground up and fully customized it using parts made for many different bikes as well as fabricating parts that did not exist.

But, I never paid premium prices for parts that I knew I would have to rework.
Guess I’m just not used to the Indian way yet.

My '97 Kawasaki 800.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think I'll try the trim from Chilhoewee Leather.
They offer trim for both the front AND rear floorboards - IM only offers the front.
AND they are A LOT cheaper .... $70 shipped for front and rear instead of $200 for just the IM front .... wow ...

Attachments

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Sadly many of the manufacturers are importing from China and there has been a huge drop in quality control.

Bought the same riding boots for years. Last pair lasted 10 years on weekend riding. The exact same model I bought more recently, the soles came unglued from the shoe in a very short time.

Indian gloves are being made for fingers that aren’t on a human. Tried different models and most of not all have at least one finger way too long or too tight. The Indian gloves I bought a while ago that say USA on the tab fit perfectly.

Bought the latest reduced reach handlebars for my 2018 Chieftain and the bars have a dull uneven finish while earlier optional handlebars sold by Indian have an total shiny mirror finish even though both bars say they are polished stainless.

I don’t think they have motorcycle enthusiasts minding the accessories department anymore. I think the accountants are.

Seriously though, from what I’ve seen from some of the accessories I think they find a vendor that will give them a good price but they don’t request samples to confirm quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
749 Posts
Agreed.
I'm not opposed to altering something to MAKE it fit .... but, for $200 .... it should fit without hacking it up.
It just seems like IM put very little thought into their design ...

I'll look around for what I want and if I don't find what I am looking for ... I will make it what I want.
Agreed. Sad part is I put those floorboard trims on my 16 and they hit the engine guard. I re-drilled the holes and made it work but they should fix it so they work.

·
Rider
462 Posts
Coming from a metric bike background I am familiar with adapting parts to fit.
I rebuilt my Kawasaki Vulcan 800 from the ground up and fully customized it using parts made for many different bikes as well as fabricating parts that did not exist.

But, I never paid premium prices for parts that I knew I would have to rework.
Guess I’m just not used to the Indian way yet.

My '97 Kawasaki 800.
I had a vulcan 800 as well, but it was the skinny front tire version. Yours looks waaay better than mine ever did; very nice mods.

But, boy, did that thing ever scrape around corners. Never had a bike before or since with such lousy cornering clearance.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Had the same problem with my floorboard trim ('17 RM). I ended up pushing the trim in towards the floorboard and re-drilling the holes for the rivets. It is still close but fits better than the factory holes. Still shouldn't have to make a factory part fit the bike. I could understand if it was a little cheaper made aftermarket part. One thing I did notice is how much lower they hang. I had no idea how close my floorboards were in the corners. They hang a 1/4 inch or so lower now and they will hit if I'm not careful.

Reactions: Larz_1

·
Registered
90 Posts

Also the design is crap.

I have had similar experience. The fringe on the running board. Had to force around bars, and only two of the pop rivets lined up. Holds on fine, but not well matched, this was Indian brand. Agree with the front fender mud fringe, held with tape. I too first tried OEM back rest. Terrible. Went with Indian, and yes price crazy. The OEM passenger arm rests I have on are pretty crappy. Have to secure them in place when not in use with bungy cord or they flap open while riding. Tighten enough not to do this, and they won't open when need them to. But at this point refuse to pay what Indian is asking, and not sure that much better. This is the best bike I have ever owned, coming from Harley Ultra and Goldwing, but agree with the accessory issue.

·
Registered
90 Posts

I have had similar experience. The fringe on the running board. Had to force around bars, and only two of the pop rivets lined up. Holds on fine, but not well matched, this was Indian brand. Agree with the front fender mud fringe, held with tape. I too first tried OEM back rest. Terrible. Went with Indian, and yes price crazy. The OEM passenger arm rests I have on are pretty crappy. Have to secure them in place when not in use with bungy cord or they flap open while riding. Tighten enough not to do this, and they won't open when need them to. But at this point refuse to pay what Indian is asking, and not sure that much better. This is the best bike I have ever owned, coming from Harley Ultra and Goldwing, but agree with the accessory issue.
One last thing. Captain Itch heat guards and Buffalo Horn accessories are AWSOME

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Whenever I hear Indian stepping on their bonnet I want to think they are fairly new at this latest iteration of Indian. However, Polaris has been running Victory and or Indian for more than 20 years so they should have their act together. Of course HD sells thousands and thousands of $3 tshirts for $40 so everyone is out trying to make a buck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts