Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there done the Beartooth Gap out of North Yellowstone into MT to Red Lodge? I am planning a trip for 30+ bikes, but I see on Google Earth (latest satelite pics are from 2008), that there is no gas from Silver Gate to Red Lodge. That's 147 miles which is normally no problem, but if there are a couple of "small tanks" in the group, they wouldn't make it. Any updates after 2008 SAT Photos?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've done it three times. I'm 95 percent sure there is a single gas pump at top of the world general store.

Edit: there is a gas pump there.
That should save you 40 miles

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a cabin 25 miles outside of West Yellowstone so i have spent a lot of time throughout my life in that area. Not sure where exactly you are starting off from in North Yellowstone, but there is a gas station at Tower Junction inside Yellowstone. Tower Junction is where you turn off of the Grand Loop road onto Hwy 212. If you gas up there it is only 32 miles to Cooke City/Silver Gate, and then only 64 miles from Cooke City to Red Lodge. You will be just fine, unless by small tank you mean 1 gallon capacity. 😁
There are only 2 gas station in Cooke City and they each only have 4 pumps i believe, and neither have very large parking areas, so you will be doing a lot of shuffling to get 30+ bikes through there. So any of the bikes that dont need gas at that point would be better off waiting until Red Lodge. Also keep in mind that because of how remote they are, there is no sewer system in Cooke City, so there isnt really any public restrooms. They do set out some portable worksite type commodes for the pubic to use, but on busy weeks they get quite full and unpleasant. 🤢

I have posted this on another discussion earlier today, but you would definitely be remiss if you missed the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. It is just south of Beartooth Pass. It actually spurs off of Hwy 212 about 13 miles east of Cooke City. Here is what one section of Chief Joseph looks like on the GPS. So much more fun than Beartooth IMHO. But you are in for a treat in that area no matter what. Enjoy, and post some pics of the ride.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have a cabin 25 miles outside of West Yellowstone so i have spent a lot of time throughout my life in that area. Not sure where exactly you are starting off from in North Yellowstone, but there is a gas station at Tower Junction inside Yellowstone. Tower Junction is where you turn off of the Grand Loop road onto Hwy 212. If you gas up there it is only 32 miles to Cooke City/Silver Gate, and then only 64 miles from Cooke City to Red Lodge. You will be just fine, unless by small tank you mean 1 gallon capacity.
There are only 2 gas station in Cooke City and they each only have 4 pumps i believe, and neither have very large parking areas, so you will be doing a lot of shuffling to get 30+ bikes through there. So any of the bikes that dont need gas at that point would be better off waiting until Red Lodge. Also keep in mind that because of how remote they are, there is no sewer system in Cooke City, so there isnt really any public restrooms. They do set out some portable worksite type commodes for the pubic to use, but on busy weeks they get quite full and unpleasant.

I have posted this on another discussion earlier today, but you would definitely be remiss if you missed the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. It is just south of Beartooth Pass. It actually spurs off of Hwy 212 about 13 miles east of Cooke City. Here is what one section of Chief Joseph looks like on the GPS. So much more fun than Beartooth IMHO. But you are in for a treat in that area no matter what. Enjoy, and post some pics of the ride.
View attachment 605989
I would agree completely with chief Joseph hwy.. I think you be really missing out if you didn't ride it being so close. Top 20 road in the country forsure

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Beautiful area. Rode it last year for the 3rd time the last week of June. The very next day after riding Bear Tooth Pass a blizzard blew through.
Sure was glad about the timing. If any of the motorcycles are carbed, they will use lots of fuel (like my former Suzuki Intruder 1400 of which the tank is too small ). Awesome ride, good place to pay attention to the road.
Much more fun on motorcycle than a car

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just did Chief Joseph and Beartooth Pass two weeks ago on my Road King. Poster above is correct - there is a single pump at the Top of the World Store.

Be aware, the winds can be 50 mph on the top and, while they didn't effect my RK at all, full fairing bikes might get blown around a bit. Wind wasn't a factor for me until I got off the bike and actually had problems standing up without getting blown over. Fuel consumption will be minimal from the summit to Red Lodge as it is all downhill, no throttle - just engine braking. There is a station on the very west end of Red Lodge.

I second the recommendation for Chief Joseph.

The roads in Yellowstone are poor pavement in a lot of places. Drove through there twice in June.

If you are approaching Yellowstone from the east, I can't recommend enough that you ride US16 and/or US14 over the Big Horn Mountains. I loved riding those as much or more than CJH and BtP.

·
Bronze member
2,102 Posts
I came through Beartooth Pass in mid August. There was road construction at that time and you can expect delays if it's still going on. How long depends on traffic. Looked like one lane had collapsed into the valley below. Expect at least 30 minutes, maybe more. At the time it was closed from 8 PM to 8 AM during the week. Check before you go for updates.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is a pull-off just before the road construction section. If a line of cars is present turn left onto the pull-off and spend some time off the bikes there. The pull-out leads to an unpaved loop parking lot and overlook. It beats sitting in a line of traffic in the sun. I think there might even be a vault toilet IIRC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts