Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer finally found a windshield. 16 inch Klock Werks. It does great keeping me from feeling like I'm being blown off the bike when I'm moving over 80 mph. Updraft lifted my beard over my goggles starting at about 15 mph. Couldn't see the LCD.

I purchased, painted, and installed a set of JES lowers with bent portion pointing forward per their instructions. Beard no longer lifts. Instead, it goes straight forward as if I'm sitting with a strong wind blowing on my back. Just got done with a 300+ mile ride. At times it seemed there was actual wind pushing me forward toward the handlebars.

I realize this is due to low pressure created by the large barn door. I'll be looking for a shorter shield (I like my face in the wind) to see if that fixes the issue. I wish someone made a sport windshield or a mini-fairing for this awesome bike. Maybe something along the lines of what I have on my Raider.

Anyone else have this problem? If yes, how did you fix it?

I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. I wear a beanie only if I'm in a helmet state.

2021 Springfield DH

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Checked my paperwork. Not a 16". Dealer found me the 11.3", which means I can't go with a shorter windshield.

Looks like I'll have interference with the mustache bar if I reverse the lowers.

Hmm.....

·
Rider
754 Posts
Dealer finally found a windshield. 16 inch Klock Werks. It does great keeping me from feeling like I'm being blown off the bike when I'm moving over 80 mph. Updraft lifted my beard over my goggles starting at about 15 mph. Couldn't see the LCD.

I purchased, painted, and installed a set of JES lowers with bent portion pointing forward per their instructions. Beard no longer lifts. Instead, it goes straight forward as if I'm sitting with a strong wind blowing on my back. Just got done with a 300+ mile ride. At times it seemed there was actual wind pushing me forward toward the handlebars.

I realize this is due to low pressure created by the large barn door. I'll be looking for a shorter shield (I like my face in the wind) to see if that fixes the issue. I wish someone made a sport windshield or a mini-fairing for this awesome bike. Maybe something along the lines of what I have on my Raider.

View attachment 613802

Anyone else have this problem? If yes, how did you fix it?

I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. I wear a beanie only if I'm in a helmet state.

2021 Springfield DH
Is it too cheeky to suggest shaving the beard ! ! !

;):p:LOL:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I unfortunately can't grow a beard (work requirement) but I do have experience with the JES lowers. I wouldn't turn them around, the bend in them forces extra air flow across the engine and actually helps evacuate engine heat. I had a set on my 1st Springfield, hit a deer, on my current one I went with the Indian lowers because I thought they looked better. Well it turns out that they create a lot of dead air space behind them without the added benefit of the extra air flow of the JES lowers.

On your shield, do you have the factory shield still? Have you considered cutting it down as far as you can? I've thought about giving it a try with an old one for a summer riding shield. Just tall enough to keep pressure off my chest but keep the wind in my face. I cut down my first factory shield, it was really easy and free! Lots of videos on how to successfully do it on YouTube.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A smaller shield seems to be my only option at this point. I've never cut shields. Have several I can practice on.

It looks like I'll have interference with the mustache bars if I turn the JES around, so that's a no go.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I taped mine off with painters tape, used a piece of cardboard to trace out the factory curve, then transferred that onto the tape a couple inches lower. Took my time cutting with a jig saw and then sanded down the edge. Worst part was getting the sticky off the windshield afterwards.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I taped mine off with painters tape, used a piece of cardboard to trace out the factory curve, then transferred that onto the tape a couple inches lower. Took my time cutting with a jig saw and then sanded down the edge. Worst part was getting the sticky off the windshield afterwards.
Thanks! I wondered if it'd be as simple as that.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,747 Posts
I've seen all kinds of stuff done to beards to keep them out of the face while riding. Braids, pony tail bands, corn row beads you name it. Still buffeting from around or below the windshield is an issue worth addressing. The height and width of the windshield is part of the puzzle. Flipped or flared top edge styles help with lower height windshields and fork mounted lowers help with the updraft.

·
Silver member
4,589 Posts
OP.... For cold weather riding I tried the fork mounted lower deflectors on my Vintage. They fk with the wind pattern and caused my pony to blow around into my face. Took the plastic off and left just the flat mounts on, decent compromise. Something similar might work (or not) for you, and or your beard.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,282 Posts
Basically when the beard get long enough to tickle my nose or I look at myself in the side mirror and see Cousin It staring back at me it is time to do some trimming. Dean

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, guys.

I just got back from the shop. Got my apes and stage two installed. I wore a tube to cover my beard both ways.

I'll take the bike out again and see if the apes (posture) help. If not, I think my best bet is to shorten the windshield.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You need to post a picture of the finished product when / if / or if you don’t shorten your shield

·
Registered
113 Posts
I live in GA. a helmet state. I tuck my beard under the helmet strap, it helps to some degree, I just deal with it...then again am riding a Chieftain or a Springfield (cut down shield).Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recommend Freedom Shields, uses existing hardware and has a nice curve. That coupled with the JES deflectors and there is very little wind around my head (some on top). I am 5'11" and have the 14" shield. The owner (John) is great.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I recommend Freedom Shields, uses existing hardware and has a nice curve. That coupled with the JES deflectors and there is very little wind around my head (some on top). I am 5'11" and have the 14" shield. The owner (John) is great.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
That is what I am running, works well, love Freedom shields.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts