Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum. I have been contemplating changing the stock bars to beach bars. I like the look because it makes it a bit more throw back. I have heard conflicting opinions about them. I am 5 10 with average length arms but could benefit from having a reduced reach. I know Indian sells reduced reach bars but I am wondering if the beach bars reduce the reach too? Thanks.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
I am 5' 10" also. I had the Indian BB on my Classic for 3 years and recently changed to Klock Werks Prairie Bars. I like both better than the stock bars. I have no reach issues with either. Below is the difference between these 2 bars. The top one is the Indian BB. As you can see, they flair out a bit at the ends.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
Do you think the flair makes them more comfortable?
The flairs make them more appealing to most riders IMO. The Indian BB's are not true beach bars IMO. They are more civilized than true BBs.
I had them put on my Classic when I bought it because I really didn't like the stock bars and I wanted a more retro look. Like any change in handle bars, the first time you use them, they will feel a bit odd. But over time, I think you will like them.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum. I have been contemplating changing the stock bars to beach bars. I like the look because it makes it a bit more throw back. I have heard conflicting opinions about them. I am 5 10 with average length arms but could benefit from having a reduced reach. I know Indian sells reduced reach bars but I am wondering if the beach bars reduce the reach too? Thanks.
I rode a bike with beach bars, very uncomfortable. Imagine this, take your right arm and stick it out straight in front of you, now rotate your right hand (at your wrist) all the way right and hold it there. That's exactly how it felt for me.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
As I said, most people who try new bars of any kind, find the feel odd a first. The above descriptions does not describe the beach bars at all. Not even close.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I went the Ape hanger route on my Vintage and absolutely love them but I'm also 6'3"

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have indian beach bars on my 14 vintage and I really like them, don't know how they could be better. I'm 5'11", they fit well. And they look cool to boot. My opinion differs from above, the bars are so wide your arms are not "straight ahead" and I've never felt like my wrists were oddly bent.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Anyone do the install? Is it a fairly straight forward process?
Thanks fo you help.
It is straightforward to the degree that running barefoot down a straight gravel road is strsighforwsrd. It is not hard but it demands resilience, patience. Have to remove nacelle and navigate cables through bars. Do a search for handlebar replacement. Better than paying for $200 instalk if you are handy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anyone ever dealt with Indian Parts Nation or Cycle Parts Nation? I think it's the same company. I just bought some black mini apes through them for my scout and then I started reading mixed reviews about the company. Wondering if anyone has had good or bad dealings with them.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
I had mine done but I/you could have done it. I think the hardest part is removing the
Anyone ever dealt with Indian Parts Nation or Cycle Parts Nation? I think it's the same company. I just bought some black mini apes through them for my scout and then I started reading mixed reviews about the company. Wondering if anyone has had good or bad dealings with them.
Is this related to the Beach Cruiser bars?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Between two Vintages, two handlebar replacements, and one borrowed ride, I've tried out stock, pull-back, beach, and Springfield (buckhorn). I agree that you get accustomed to one or the other (the ride home with my Springfield bars, I hated them; now I can't imagine having any other). I think a lot of the issue of angle and general feel is adaptable by raising or lowering the bars. The biggest factor for me is turning radius. While beach bars give you great leverage, they are hard for a shorter person's outboard arm making a true u-turn. As well, the Springfield bars might pinch a taller person's inboard arm making that same u-turn, Nothing beats taking a test ride on a dealer or friend's bike.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
Between two Vintages, two handlebar replacements, and one borrowed ride, I've tried out stock, pull-back, beach, and Springfield (buckhorn). I agree that you get accustomed to one or the other (the ride home with my Springfield bars, I hated them; now I can't imagine having any other). I think a lot of the issue of angle and general feel is adaptable by raising or lowering the bars. The biggest factor for me is turning radius. While beach bars give you great leverage, they are hard for a shorter person's outboard arm making a true u-turn. As well, the Springfield bars might pinch a taller person's inboard arm making that same u-turn, Nothing beats taking a test ride on a dealer or friend's bike.
This , up there.
I even replaced my Indian BB's with Prairie BB's which are even wider. Beach bars are a bit wider than stock but come back farther and are normally lower. They offer more leverage while riding which I like most. In a U-turn, you will need to reach a bit more for the grip that is farthest away. I am 5' 10" with a Corbin seat that pushes me back and I have no reach issues. When looking for opinions, it's best to get them from people who own and used the bars for a while. Not someone who briefly sat on a bike with them, As it's been said, ALL bars feel "wrong" when you first use them.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
When looking for opinions, get them from people who own and used the bars for a while. Not someone who briefly sat on a bike with them, As it's been said, ALL bars feel "wrong" when you first use them.
Yes, don't listen to my opinion. [wacky]

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,313 Posts
I have the Klock Werks prairie bar on mine for the last year and about 20k miles. Parking lots are a little more difficult but I didn't get them with parking lots in mind either. I wouldn't trade them for anything now.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I am 5'10". Changed to the Springfield Bars (Beach bars on the packaging) early Spring. Since then done about 6K with them. Compared to the stock bars they are like night and day - fabulous, really pleased with them. I also have the drivers backrest fitted. Combination of the 2 makes the ride out of this world as far as I'm concerned and the bike is so much easier to manoeuvre. If you order the Springfield bars make sure they order the correct size for the instrument cluster. Their are 2 sizes depending on year.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts