Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How's the install on these babies? I got the Klockworks Prairie bars for the CDH, gonna tackle it next week.

·
Rider
480 Posts
I installed the same on my Vintage a few weeks ago. The biggest pain for me was getting to the bolts on the nacelle. I would guess CDH is similar. Lots of videos online to watch first so you know what you are getting into.

In the end all went well and was done with no surprises.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed the same on my Vintage a few weeks ago. The biggest pain for me was getting to the bolts on the nacelle. I would guess CDH is similar. Lots of videos online to watch first so you know what you are getting into.

In the end all went well and was done with no surprises.
Trying to find an install video on the Chief with no luck, got any links? Most are Scout or Chieftains. Want to tackle this soon and get these babies on.

·
Rider
480 Posts
You are correct, I am not seeing much for complete handlebar install. I did find this in my history for nacelle removal (which really is the key). Once the nacelle is off they rest is pretty straight forward.

This thread also has a discussion about it

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've swapped my bars a couple times but the first time was a little tricky as lacked experience.

I recommend:

1. Level the bike as centre as possible. This isn't essential but helps later in the process.

2. Apply soft towels / cloth on any surrounding surfaces. The nacelle whilst removing or dangling can scratch the chrome front forks or the handle bar bracket (black powder coated).

3. Loosen the top two screws on the top of the nacelle (it helps hold everything together initially)

4. Remove the side bolts that hold the driving lights (I use some bungee cords hooked to the auxiliary light bar to the mirrors. Centering the bike prevents the lights from swaying and risk scratching the surface. Keep note of the sleeve position.

5. Remove:

a) Chrome switch controll covers
b) The mirrors and
c) The electric switches

Note 1: The handle grips sit INSIDE the chrome switch housing. Remember to reassemble this in the same manner. The switch housing holds the handle grip! You can damage your chrome cover if reinstalled incorrectly.

Note 2: The electric connector placement. If you don't have heated grips the connector may be disconnected (mine was). The connectors are different sizes so reassemble isn't difficult. Take pictures if it helps.

6. Remove the hand grips. Note that the accelerator / throttle grip will need disconnecting. So when the nacelle is removed cut any zipties that release the excess wire harness that sits inside of the handlebar. You can then gently tug on the throttle and disconnect the fly by cable connector.

Note: The clutch hand grip is stuck on with grip tight or super glue. I wrapped a towel around the grip and used a set of pliers to grip and twist back and forth untill the grip snap crackle and popped free. I was able to reuse my grip however Indian recommend purchasing a new one!

7. Unclip and remove wire harness within bars

8. Loosen handle bar bracket bolts (two above and two facing below)

Note: once loose the bars can drop so ensure you are ready and have towels wrapped around the tank.

9. Fish the wire harness into the new handle bars.

10. Reassemble in reverse order.

Good luck.

Takes me 30 to 45 minutes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Super helpful, thanks so much for taking the time to post this. How is the clutch cable install? I have not checked where that is terminated at yet.

Reactions: Bmart

·
Registered
110 Posts
Adding fishtail exhaust (end caps). Waiting for delivery 👍

·
Registered
110 Posts
Super helpful, thanks so much for taking the time to post this. How is the clutch cable install? I have not checked where that is terminated at yet.
Sorry... Thought I had replied to this.

I didn't change the clutch cable as not required with the Indian Beach bars.

I had read on here somewhere that a clutch cable change can be avoided with the Prairie bars if you pull them back all the way.

I think I will eventually swap for Prairie bars as they look more comfortable. The Indian Beach bars have a further reach.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Found a video on YouTube that is better than my method.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey for those of you who did the beach bars, you didn't have to take off the brake lines and bleed them did ya? Someone mentioned it to me and I was not sure, before I start this little project, wanted to check. The clutch cable is simple enough to do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I didn't have to change any cables. Just a clean bar swap

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts