Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dang! I had a truck tire fully inflated bounce off a bridge over the highway come at me but it bounced over my head. Rode into a swarm of bees once & that was interesting but, it was the gal making a left at an intersection that actually hit me, sent me cartwheeling over her car then landing into oncoming traffic that really left a mark... yeah, I wear a helmet cuz I enjoy not being dead or invalid;) ride like your invisible.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
I was run off the road by a 30-something lady busy on her phone. Thankfully, I was wearing my leather jacket, so no road rash, but it broke my right arm, just below the shoulder.
I woke up in the emergency room with 2 doctors poking and prodding me. I let them know that I was carrying a .45 strapped to my leg. They felt around my legs... no pistol! Oh! $hit! What am I going to do???
Ten minutes later a sheriff's deputy came in to let me know that they secured my firearm at the scene, and when I was all patched up, I could retrieve it at the sheriff's main station.
The arm healed a little cockeyed, and I don't have the range of motion that I used to. My orthopedic surgeon wants to rebreak the arm and reset it. At 67, I nixed that suggestion.
As a side note, nothing happened to the lady who ran me off the road. The deputy suspects what really happened, but because I have no memory of what happened, he had to rely on the lady's version of what happened. Had I had a camera rolling on my bike the outcome would have been different.
The moral to this story...
Be safe and proactive! There are a lot of idiots and a$$holes out there!!!

·
Silver member
4,839 Posts
Couple of years ago on the highway I was behind a PU truck pulling a +,-24 foot boat and a tire blew out on the guys trailer. Luckilly I was able to avoid hitting tire debris, or it hitting me. Now I go around or pass any and all trailers as soon as I can. So you are aware, a lot of trailer tires are sub standard junk, so good to get clear of them as soon as you can.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Couple of years ago on the highway I was behind a PU truck pulling a +,-24 foot boat and a tire blew out on the guys trailer. Luckilly I was able to avoid hitting tire debris, or it hitting me. Now I go around or pass any and all trailers as soon as I can. So you are aware, a lot of trailer tires are sub standard junk, so good to get clear of them as soon as you can.
Roger that - trailers & junk trucks full of whatever make me nervous so I roll around them ASAP.

·
Bronze member
1,208 Posts
I can't speak for what's going on now but many of the tires on trailers and semi trucks were rethreads back in the 70s

·
Rider
974 Posts
Terrifying experience! So far never saw items fall from a vehicle, plenty of Cows, farmers pulling large loads pulling out onto a two lane in front of oncoming traffic, and other wildlife though...Montana is kind of that way

Reactions: Wyobob44

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
OP - thanks for the reminder of the perils out there.

·
Rider
418 Posts
I can't speak for what's going on now but many of the tires on trailers and semi trucks were rethreads back in the 70s
A lot still do. My daughter who lived in Ohio was on her way to a job fair for the Cleveland Clinic (she got a job BTW) and truck 2 or 3 cars in front of her blew a recap. The cap went flying in the air and landed right in front of her. She couldnt avoid it and did 10 grand worth of damage to her SUV. Luckily hit hit the fender first on not her windshield. The truck driver probably never even knew it happened.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,821 Posts
Several years back I was riding with my wife on the back seat of my 2012 Victory Cross Country on I-75 between Sidney & Piqua Ohio going south. A dually pickup was pulling a single axle trailer with a Bobcat loader on it ahead of us doing about 70 mph. Suddenly there was a loud boom and one of the trailer tires had blew sending large pieces of tire into the air striking my fairing & windshield, The truck and trailer went into a violent fishtail and he quickly slowed and pulled over. We were both pretty scared but unharmed.

·
Senior member / rider
1,203 Posts
Dang! I had a truck tire fully inflated bounce off a bridge over the highway come at me but it bounced over my head. Rode into a swarm of bees once & that was interesting but, it was the gal making a left at an intersection that actually hit me, sent me cartwheeling over her car then landing into oncoming traffic that really left a mark... yeah, I wear a helmet cuz I enjoy not being dead or invalid;) ride like your invisible.
Ouch! Those left turns in front of you suck. Happened to my in 03. Woman turned left right in front of me. Hit the car, various broken bones, etc. As I’m laying face down on asphalt with a Triumph Tiger on my ass, the woman says “I never saw you”.

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
Alittle over 20 years ago, a group of us were headed west into Vermont and just about to cross over rte.91, but decided to pull over to grab a quick cup of coffee before continuing,when a gentleman on a HD pulled into the parking area where we were, dropping his bike and going right to the ground.Needless to say,we were right there to assist the poor bastard,discovering that he had been hit by an alligator [that's what these cold cap retreads on TT units are referred to] but managed to keep the machine upright,getting off 91 and into that parking area where we were. He informed us that as he was passing by that TT unit,a back tire [recap] exploded,striking him,and dam near knocked him off his machine.But after 20 minutes of so,he said he was ok and was able continue on his way into Canada.So,off he went.

The point being,be carefull when traveling next to,or passing by, 18 wheelers,[or any big truck for that matter] other wise,you too could end up like this poor sole did,or at even worse,and become a statistic.So always be aware of your surroundings,especially when sharing the road with TT units. (y) Dave!!!

·
Rider
974 Posts
I try to pass quickly and safely for this reason and never ride beside a TT. The only thing that I have been hit with is a rock off of a TT pulling a long load trailer of 2A gravel. The thing was I stayed way back from the trailer because he did not have it covered. Well talk about things happening it slo-mo. I see the rock fall off the truck. I see rock bounce on the road a few times and try to see where it will go next. Last bounce in front of me to left side dinged my tank on my 05 springer. Got very lucky. Tank still has the ding to remind me. Was not wearing a FF helmet at the time. I was going south on 25 in Colorado returning from Sturgis, which by the way was an uneventful trip up to that point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts