Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Living the dream!
267 Posts
Even when the light is GREEN, look left, right, and left again (unless you are in one of those places where they ride on the PROPER side, then reverse it). In 40 years of riding it has saved my hind parts more than once.

·
Founding member
1,023 Posts
Not surprising.... We have the worst licensing standards in the civilized world... That to me is our number 1 failure in all forms of Vehicle incidents. We give out licenses without truly requiring people be educated on how to friggin' drive a vehicle! Another Government managed system failing the people...

·
Founding member / aka Husky Davidson. 10/09/14
1,722 Posts
I saw one the other day..I was in my truck.. But had I been a little closer...:eek:
The Bad thing is , I’ve done it myself..:oops:
That’s why they call them accidents.. no sane person does this on purpose.
With the fast pace of today’s world, or any other type of distraction...well, you always gotta be defensive..
If it’s not another car, it’s a road hazard or animal.
You’re a sitting duck on a bike.

·
Silver member
3,822 Posts
I think a lot of it is cell phones and info screens on the newer vehicles. I bought a new truck in 2016. On the road and stopped at a red light, with 3-4 cars ahead of me. In my rear view mirror I watched a woman coming up behind me, she was looking down, I braced myself for impact, and bang.... bent up the rear bumper on my new truck, it had 2,500 miles on it, I was not happy. Fark'd up the entire front clip of her small-mid size car, that made me happy. I'm sure she was messing with her cell phone. On the bike I always watch, and leave myself an escape route. People are idiots.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I will always remember in high-school drivers-ed one time I came to a stop at a red light but then took off as soon as the car next to me did, the dang light was still red. The good thing is under those controlled circumstances, the teacher had their own brake pedal in that car and slammed them on. Boy was I embarrassed! Yes, there are idiots, and there are also those who will become distracted for whatever other reason and violate your right-of-way. Defensive is the only way to be.

·
Silver member
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been riding bikes for over 40 years now, but I am still smart enough to be just a little bit scared out there. As long as I continue to remember that nobody sees me, and everybody driving a car is on their phone, then hopefully I can remain cautious enough to put on another hundred thousand miles.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think a lot of it is cell phones and info screens on the newer vehicles. I bought a new truck in 2016. On the road and stopped at a red light, with 3-4 cars ahead of me. In my rear view mirror I watched a woman coming up behind me, she was looking down, I braced myself for impact, and bang.... bent up the rear bumper on my new truck, it had 2,500 miles on it, I was not happy. Fark'd up the entire front clip of her small-mid size car, that made me happy. I'm sure she was messing with her cell phone. On the bike I always watch, and leave myself an escape route. People are idiots.
Happen to me the other day. Driver stopped, then pulled our her phone to look at something, meanwhile she let off the brake just enough roll and hit me. Luckily she wasn't going fast enough to hurt anyone.

Burt

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Rider
1,052 Posts
Here on Long Island, NY, it's apparent that most drivers consider red lights and stop signs completely irrelevant or optional at best. Nobody in New York even knows that you're supposed to go for the brakes when the light turns yellow, so that you can safely STOP before it turns red. It's common to see a traffic light turn red, yet a string of cars will continue to motor along under it. Presumably they figure that as long as they ride the bumper of the car ahead of them, nobody looking at a green light will dare to proceed. Drivers are so accustomed to running red lights that it has become dangerous for a rider to STOP at a red light or stop sign, for fear that the car behind will ass-blast us. :eek: Still, I always stop for red lights and stop signs, but then I watch my mirrors for the murderous bastards that may launch me into orbit! If I had a dime for every creep who ended up burying his front bumper into the tarmac, when he suddenly realized that I had stopped at the intersection, I could buy another Indian! :mad:

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
I’ve said it for years you run thru an intersection haphazardly just because you have the right of way. And odds are you won’t last out there. That precaution has saved my ass more times then I can count. Last month 2 blocks from home a 4 way stop nobody at it but me. I see a car approaching from my right I’m turning left. He never slowed down. On the phone blew right thru it. Expect everyone around you to do the wrong thing you’ll last longer.

·
Founding Member
408 Posts
People are idiots.
My wife is always concerned about me getting into an accident. She told me one day "watch out for the other idiots out there"....I just looked at her with a bit of disbelief, what a vote of confidence for me....I guess she thought I was an idiot too. After a short talk she has changed her wording.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I was stationed in Japan for almost 4 years. It's customary to run lights for a few seconds after it turns red. From that, I always look both ways if I'm in front and the light turns green. I also look at the rims of vehicles that are stopped at lights or signs to make sure they're not creeping or moving in to the lane. I do not slow down going through green lights and I guess if a car didn't touch their brakes through a red, I'd be screwed.

When I had my Ducati, I definitely rode more aggressively but I remember a couple near misses and one that didn't miss. I now have 3 times the miles on my RM than I did on the Duc and I've yet to have a close call. There will always be the asshole who doesn't like you passing them and they speed up and cut you off or whatever but that's a different discussion.

·
Rider
456 Posts
I consider myself fairly skilled after 38 years of riding. I ride defensively, use lane positioning to my advantage, cover my front brake at all times, and treat most intersections with the gravitas they deserve. Yet simple geography plays a role as well. When I lived south of Boston the biggest concern was careless, aggressive drivers and a high population density. Driving around upper New England, I’ve had almost no negative interactions with other drivers, and oftentimes find I have the road almost completely to myself. My big issues here are with wildlife dashing across the road (porcupine, fox, deer by the dozen, even a bobcat once,) and my own inattention. There’s so much beautiful scenery to capture the eye it’s a wonder I haven’t ridden my dumb ass off a cliff yet.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Not surprising.... We have the worst licensing standards in the civilized world... That to me is our number 1 failure in all forms of Vehicle incidents. We give out licenses without truly requiring people be educated on how to friggin' drive a vehicle! Another Government managed system failing the people...
Don't worry Australia is around the same , I know when I got my license I forgot my white cane to make sure no other cars etc were in my way while driving ,I was taught the brail system of driving in Sydney they still use the same method . I should not make light of this but really the standards just about all over the world are not great with the exception of the Germans ,they seem to be on top of everything fro first aid to not allowing you to even have cup holders in the car so your not distracted by taking a drink of water or coffee. We could all learn a lot ,the one thing that is so annoying is people using mobile phones while driving,texting and not paying attention. They are slowly getting camera detection devices here in Australia ,but need to also increase fines for using or picking one up while driving. Digital licences on mobile phones are the next thing but there is a concern that if your pulled over that most drivers wont know to tun off their cars and make sure the hand brake is on before showing it to the police. So they have put that in the too hard basket , why now start a large education program through social media , television and radio along with large full page adverts saying that this is what will be the law by a date to be determined and this is what will be required by that date. If you get caught you loose your license and massive cost of a fine and that is for the first offence, do it the second time we take you car and crush it. I know that will open a can of worms ,but if it saves lives then so be it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Hey Dman, i remember those days. the instructor said to about 20 of us. it's possible just one of you will not be in an accident by time you hit 50 yrs old. Few of you will die in an accident. 5 of you will be in a auto accident before you graduate. Sure enough one died a week before graduation.

·
Bronze member
1,792 Posts
All too true.

Will never forget the one time I almost turned left on a red light.
Only a year or two of driving. Was at night and I was looking both ways at cross traffic. Their light changed to green, not mine, and I started to go into the intersection before realizing my left turn light was still red.

And around that same time, a 4 way stop on a 4 lane intersection and trying to make a left turn. Someone met me halfway into that turn. Lesson learned, just go straight and try another route.
Christmas shopping traffic. Never again!

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
even the most cautious drivers screw up. some people say "it's not your time" i'd like to think never gonna be my time, mainly cos i have been hit, seen a lot of accidents. keeps it in your mind all the time.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Went down in Montana in 2004. Running 212 out of Alzada. 5 of us 2 of us running like idiots. Yes guilty here. High speed wheel wobble at 110 lost it at 103. Medivac to Rapid city. Yes no helmet pair of Dungarees and boots that’s it. All kinds of damage including broken neck in 2 places. Doc said very lucky man I replied not my time for some reason. I’m a believer in that always have been. I ride very defensively but still believe the day and time is picked and your gonna be there.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts