Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had BBK 116 installed on my 2017 Springfield. One cylinder started misfiring but not all the time . It now misfires all the time after about 6mmths of use,now unridable and in the shop not throwing any codes however. Mechanic agrees something is wrong but can’t seem to diagnosis it. Been out of service for over a month now. Anyone else have this problem or similar. Had custom dyno and tune,but after base use put back on same problem,not the tune.

·
Bronze member
2,149 Posts
Have you checked your spark plug wires?
I had to change mine after I noticed one of the wires arcing occasionallyq to the horn cover edge ... with occasional misfire codes.

After putting on fresh ones no misfires anymore.

Since you did the BBK upgrade a few months ago they might have streched the cables (internal damage possible) or the isolation has aged/became dry/brittle/porous.

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
4,720 Posts
Another thing to check is the knock sensor. The wire sometimes rests against the motor and melts through. It's on the rear of the front cylinder, behind the timing cover.

·
Bronze member
2,149 Posts
hmmmmmm ... I would try a compression test on that cylinder. If they face issues because of the compression release mechanism, at least a leak down test at the right crank position should work.

A misfire could be just a non detected fire ... and if your compression is compromised (valves or piston rings) ...

just sayin

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,060 Posts
Cmoalem is RIGHT!
Man! It's so dang elementary...
Misfiring? Down on power? Poor engine response to throttle? Unexplained stalling? ANY time that the enginer is showing symptoms of being SICK... Any good shop with a professional wrench knows that a leakdown test is the best diagnostic test to see if the engine is physically healthy. BEFORE messing around with testing coils or other possible issues, do a LEAKDOWN test on both cylinders.

·
Bronze member
2,683 Posts
After reading the above post,I just went out in my shop to take a closer look at my wires again because "today" after traveling 44,000 miles,I got that misfire code [65590-7] again,which I was able to clear,but the motor still ran smooth,no skip.The 65590 means there was a misfire,but the 7 means the cylinder was not identified specifically.So the question is,which cylinder is it and how long before it happens again??
So after looking at the plug wires again [this time alittle closer] and even though I had placed a piece of rubber gas line over each wire,I did NOT get the piece of hose in far enough on the rear cylinder wire hence it was still laying directly on the top of the cylinder head cover fin,which I believe was the cause of the misfire code to begin with.So I took another piece of hose,but this time,I cut a small piece out of the top of that hose so the bottom of it would slide in between the wiring harness above it,and under the plug wire itself so it would NOT be resting directly on top of that cylinder head cover.
But I won't know for sure if that did the trick or not until I ride it again tomorrow.But I think it will.So I'll letcha all know after I ride it again.
The point being,you guys with the problem might wanna take a closer look at the LEFT spark plug wire to make sure it's not resting on top of that cylinder head cover like mine was!! But I'll betcha it is!! Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
2,683 Posts
Just come back in from my 100 mile road test to see if the code and check engine light would reappear,and I'm happy to say, it did not and the scooter ran like a clock.Life is good once again! (y) (y)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Polaris is now getting involved. 125 psi in on cylinder which is too high. Going to have to tear it down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts