Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come to the conclusion that I need about five new Scouts so I can modify one in each of the styles I would like to have, but that's not going to happen...

Anyway, while it is cold out I am entertaining some type of wind protection. My incoming Scout is Thunder Black, and when I was in my dealership last week, I happened to see a Memphis Shades Batwing fairing on a black Suzuki cruiser, which caught my eye. Thinking about this style versus the standard windshield.

(sorry for the sub-standard photo editing capability, but it is enough to get the idea)
Batwing fairing on 2015 Scout.JPG

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that I need about five new Scouts so I can modify one in each of the styles I would like to have, but that's not going to happen...

Anyway, while it is cold out I am entertaining some type of wind protection. My incoming Scout is Thunder Black, and when I was in my dealership last week, I happened to see a Memphis Shades Batwing fairing on a black Suzuki cruiser, which caught my eye. Thinking about this style versus the standard windshield.

(sorry for the sub-standard photo editing capability, but it is enough to get the idea)
View attachment 5328
Interesting for winter

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
Don't take offense, but personally, if I wanted batwing faring, I'd buy a HD. Why muddle up the looks and lines of a fine Indian with HD look-alike accessories?

Wait a while, more aftermarket stuff will be flooding the market in a few months. And from I've read on the forum, you might get delivery before your Scout! :(

·
Registered
430 Posts
While I think the batwing is HD'centric, I say if you like it - Do it! I'm thinking about getting the HD quarter fairing or even the T-Sport fairing.

Again, time will tell.

Reactions: Ken1553

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts

View attachment 5328
If a bit narrower and a clear top screen it just might be right. I don't the all clear windshield either.

G

·

View attachment 5328
That looks a whole lot better than the one's Indian sells.Not a fan of windshields, buy would consider one like that!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Don't take offense, but personally, if I wanted batwing faring, I'd buy a HD. Why muddle up the looks and lines of a fine Indian with HD look-alike accessories?

Wait a while, more aftermarket stuff will be flooding the market in a few months. And from I've read on the forum, you might get delivery before your Scout! :(
No offense taken... If I wasn't open to feedback, I wouldn't post my ideas on a forum. :)

I guess at this point, I don't associate the batwing fairing as a Harley item any more. They may have been the first to start using them in the 1960s, but at this point, every cruiser manufacturer offers a batwing style fairing (including the Indian Chieftain and Roadmaster), or has been aftermarket fitted with one, so I just see it as another fairing/windshield option. I think it actually looks kinda nice with the Indian lines. Not sure if I will go this way or not yet... and like you said, there will likely be more aftermarket options introduced before I even have my Scout to mount it on!

Reactions: Roadie and Bigiron

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

View attachment 5328
Not my cup of tea :rolleyes:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If a bit narrower and a clear top screen it just might be right. I don't the all clear windshield either.
Memphis Shades offers multiple windscreen options for the top of the batwing fairing; different heights, colors, gradient...

MSWindshields.JPG

Reactions: Ken1553

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not really what you guys are talking about. But in looking for some inspiration for my bike I rediscovered this gem. 2018 Scout?
No, not really. I'm not a fan of that fairing, though it is definitely unique.

And back to the batwing style fairing, I would use the Indian Chieftain/Roadmaster batwing style fairing if I didn't think it would be a little too big for the Scout, and know it would be significantly more expensive.

Reactions: TC024

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
Morning Folks,
Being as form follows function, there are only so many shapes that will work effectively for a handlebar-mounted fairing, so there are going to be similarities. I don't really like the way fairings look on a bike, but if you use a motorcycle for serious transportation in all kinds of weather, they've got a lot to recommend them.
--- Randall

·
Registered
441 Posts
looks sharp though I think it takes away the Classic Scout look, just my opinion though.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,825 Posts
Here's what a Roadmaster fairing might look like from a member that photoshop one for me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Loading the Scout up with fairings and trunks is just wrong to me. Its fundamental identity is as a small, low, fast, simple solo ride. I don't get the appeal of ruining the handling by hanging all that weight up high. :eek:
The Memphis Shades batwing fairing only weighs about 10 pounds; barely more than a standard windscreen. I on the other hand weigh about 230 pounds. I'm not too concerned about added weight up high due to this fairing, however, I should try to lose a few pounds... ;) Besides, this is only meant to be a winter addition. I still ride when it is in the 20s and 30s. When it is that cold, I find that some type of wind protection is quite nice.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Man just do it and snap photos so the rest of us can enjoy your creation.

Reactions: WillRide

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Considering the weight of the scout the bat wing will be fun in 40 mph winds. Buy the right bike.
I don't understand your response. I think at 80mph with a 40mph headwind (for a 120mph relative wind speed) at 30 degree temperatures, I would much rather have some type of fairing or windscreen than none. And if it is a 40mph cross wind you are referring to, this will add little to the resulting force, as the side of the motorcycle and rider provide a much larger exposed surface area than that of the batwing fairing... I have a sport touring bike (possibly the "right bike" you are referring to), but that doesn't mean I don't want to ride my Scout all winter, or be slightly comfortable while doing so.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts