Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Up until just now the bike has been starting and running great. Riding almost every day. Just now I pushed the start button and the lights came on momentarily, I heard a click, then everything just started flashing at random. Pushing the start button does nothing. I had to wait till the lights flashed on to shut off power. No engine crank. Put it on a charger. It will charge to 12.85 but the minute you hit the start it dies to around 7v. No codes. Now the battery is old, Original in my 16'Vintage with a build date of 2015, so I have no quames buying a new one. Just seemed like a very strange way for a batteryto die. Has it happened this way to others??? This is the most modern machine I have owned so just wondering.

·
Rider
746 Posts
Pretty sure your battery is toast. but you could check all your electrical connections to make sure they are tight. Or you could just pull the battery take it in and have it load tested then buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure your battery is toast. but you could check all your electrical connections to make sure they are tight. Or you could just pull the battery take it in and have it load tested then buy a new one.
Checked the connections, they are good. Yeh I'm going to get a new battery. Like I said just seems like a wierd way for a battery to die.

·
Rider
746 Posts
Checked the connections, they are good. Yeh I'm going to get a new battery. Like I said just seems like a wierd way for a battery to die.
these things are full of electronics that go wonky when the voltage gets to low.

Here in Arizona batteries die with no warning. You can start your vehicle drive 25 minutes to the store/restaurant and come out and the vehicle is nothing but a black hole.

Batteries act differently in different situations. Goofy sh**, good luck

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
these things are full of electronics that go wonky when the voltage gets to low.

Here in Arizona batteries die with no warning. You can start your vehicle drive 25 minutes to the store/restaurant and come out and the vehicle is nothing but a black hole.

Was just looking on line at new ones. Batteries and Bulbs sells a Duracell with a 2 year full warranty. $129 is a bit pricey but the 2 year, NOT prorated makes it pretty good. And they are right up the street. Be riding tomorrow!!!

·
Bronze member
2,643 Posts
If the battery and charging system are up to snuff and working correctly,and the connections are clean and tight,you should see a minimum voltage reading of 14.2 volts on your volt meter at idle.Mine usually runs 14.2-14.4 at idle,but increases to 14.5,and sometimes 14.6 with all my accessories turned on and driving down the road.But once the bike has been run for awhile [which recharges the battery] that reading should drop back to 14.4 - 14.5 volts.That's what mine reads now after retorquing my battery and ground connections. And that voltage charge rate is basically the same for four wheelers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a BMW that was only a few months old, pulled up to a stop light and it just died (I'm sure I didn't stall it). Wouldn't start, just got a click like you.
Fortunately, I was in my neighborhood, so I pushed it home and had BMW come pick it up. Just a bad battery.

I'd consider getting a LiFePo4 battery if it's on your dime. I've only ever put one in a dirt bike, though.

·
Senior member / gold
6,739 Posts

Same here in South Florida. Battery cranked it right up. Stopped at the ATM to get some cash out, and wouldn't even budge the starter. You DEFINITELY got your money's worth out of that OEM battery.

·
Rider
863 Posts
That is the most common failure mode for Batteries.. take a charge, generally quite quickly, then loose it very fast indeed.. ie only take a Flash Charge..
I put a Deka in mine... USA made...

·
Senior member / gold
6,739 Posts
Wicked Start battery for me. Never had a battery last over 2 years in the South Florida heat. Hoping I'll get at least 3 or 4 out of the Wicked Start. Time will tell. Had a recent spat of emergency operations and illnesses, and the bike sat over 3 weeks without a start up or a trickle charge, and the starter turned over strong and fired right up the other day for a 20 mile warmup ride.

·
Rider
606 Posts
Up until just now the bike has been starting and running great. Riding almost every day. Just now I pushed the start button and the lights came on momentarily, I heard a click, then everything just started flashing at random. Pushing the start button does nothing. I had to wait till the lights flashed on to shut off power. No engine crank. Put it on a charger. It will charge to 12.85 but the minute you hit the start it dies to around 7v. No codes. Now the battery is old, Original in my 16'Vintage with a build date of 2015, so I have no quames buying a new one. Just seemed like a very strange way for a batteryto die. Has it happened this way to others??? This is the most modern machine I have owned so just wondering.
Duracell is in my opinion the best batteries made! They have a direct replacement battery for Indian 111 bikes and i put one in my 17 Limited and it turns the engine effortlessly!

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
Was just looking on line at new ones. Batteries and Bulbs sells a Duracell with a 2 year full warranty. $129 is a bit pricey but the 2 year, NOT prorated makes it pretty good. And they are right up the street. Be riding tomorrow!!!
...and I believe a good number of their batteries are made in the USA!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Duracell is in my opinion the best batteries made! They have a direct replacement battery for Indian 111 bikes and i put one in my 17 Limited and it turns the engine effortlessly!
...and I believe a good number of their batteries are made in the USA!!
I pick up a Duracell tomorrow. There are 2 types. The American made is $10 more so I went with that. Plus 10% off if you order on line. Sounds like the overall answer to my question is no, they don't die like the old days!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I put one of these in my Scout two years ago (this month) and have not had any issues even with the crappy starter: Duracell Ultra DURAGM-15-US (Gray case USA) 3.5 x 5.25 x 6.56, 220CCA

The bike has two extra light systems and a pigtail which is used to frequently to charge GoPro batteries while on the road. I ride 2-3 times per week and have not used a tender, but I'm not dealing with the weather extremes here in the Atlanta area. I lived 10 years in Phoenix and that place kills batteries almost as fast as a GoPro.

·
Rider
816 Posts
5 years out of an OEM battery is good, like others said, you got your moneys' worth

Reactions: TheBru

·
Senior member / gold
6,739 Posts
The Wicked Start I ordered is rated at 500+ CCA, and provide a load test sheet taken before shipping out.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'm off for a ride!!! Easy as it gets. Yes, modern machinery is different in the way it runs AND the way it dies!!
Thanks all......

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
My OEM battery lasted 6 years. Went with the Wicked Start battery. Also dropped another Wicked Start in my Centennial Scout as well. Great batteries and very easy starts. They handle bikes with heavier-than-stock compression without a problem.

·
Rider
746 Posts
After posting this my wife's car battery died I put it on a charger then started it drove for about 40 minutes parked it then an hour later tried to start it and it was dead again. I pulled it took it to batteries plus and it had less than .5 volt left in it. So I bought another one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2017 Roadmaster it’s the battery, same thing happened to me

1 - 20 of 41 Posts