Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the stock battery (3 1/2 yrs old) with the Wicked battery. I got it from Amazon for just under $100 delivered. They claim 500 CCA, it cranked the bike right up with no problem and it is a direct fit for our stock batteries. Time will tell how this one lasts but I am happy with it as of now!

Attachments

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well here is an update, I must have gotten a bad battery, 11 days and dead! Charged the battery all night long, tried to start and it drained down to 7.5 volts. So I am trying a Duracell tomorrow to see if that will work.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,415 Posts
Wow thanks for the heads up. Btw make sure you too charge the battery before installing it. Dean

·
Registered
152 Posts
Be careful with the ECM while changing the battery. Hasn't happened to me but i have read horror stories about wiping the ECM by shorting it to the battery during the change.

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,415 Posts
LIthium batteries have there uses but they do NOT like heat especially the heat we generate on the 111. Plus they can be very picky on how they are charged. Especially for the money I would recommend staying clear. Lithium power packs have great usage but when they short out they can do a lot of damage quick. You have seen what they can do in a cell phone or tablet. The power packs in those are very small. I would not want to think what they would do in an Indian of it started to short out. Dean

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
And they have pretty much a straight line charge. When they are dead, your the second to know. No charge curve.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
HOLY SHITE 680 CCA!!! The price is a little high though. Good features with the jump start too. If you want to put it on a charger you will have to get a Lithium battery charger too.
Also look at the warning about the engine being over 103 CI
Well the warning gives links to other EVEN HIGHER CCA ratings. Wonder whats with that? Strange that a battery with over twice OEM CCA is not enough

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
HOLY SHITE 680 CCA!!! The price is a little high though. Good features with the jump start too. If you want to put it on a charger you will have to get a Lithium battery charger too.
Also look at the warning about the engine being over 103 CI
Well the warning gives links to other EVEN HIGHER CCA ratings. Wonder whats with that? Strange that a battery with over twice OEM CCA is not enough

·
Super Moderator
4,866 Posts
I just replaced the stock battery (3 1/2 yrs old) with the Wicked battery. I got it from Amazon for just under $100 delivered. They claim 500 CCA, it cranked the bike right up with no problem and it is a direct fit for our stock batteries. Time will tell how this one lasts but I am happy with it as of now!
Well here is an update, I must have gotten a bad battery, 11 days and dead! Charged the battery all night long, tried to start and it drained down to 7.5 volts. So I am trying a Duracell tomorrow to see if that will work.
Let me guess, Chinese??

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,745 Posts
Maybe you got a lemon. I've had my Wicked Start for about a year and it's still starting the bike.

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe you got a lemon. I've had my Wicked Start for about a year and it's still starting the bike.
That is what I figured. I have had it for 11 days. When I pull it out today we will do the load test on it. I look at the charging level while I am riding and it is always between 14.1 and 14.6

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
Let me guess, Chinese??

That is what I figured. I have had it for 11 days. When I pull it out today we will do the load test on it. I look at the charging level while I am riding and it is always between 14.1 and 14.6
Any battery can develop a bad cell which is probably what happened here. But these Chinese batteries might do it more. Nothing else Chinese seems to be worth the risk in most cases. But are there any others with as much CCA without having to go Lithium types? Not that I know of so I guess you take the risk and hope for the best here.

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the update, I took the battery to batteries plus and had it tested, the battery was fine, it turned out to be the starter that was bad! I took the bike in and the dealer did the testing and replaced the starter. That is what was draining the battery! Good to have that fixed!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Ron...Thinking of the same battery for my 17 RM. How do you like it and did it fit? Thx Gil

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It fit perfect and cranked my bike with the BBK and shaved heads over very nicely!

·
Registered
153 Posts
It fit perfect and cranked my bike with the BBK and shaved heads over very nicely!
Great, thank you. I was really concerned about the size because there is not room for error when it comes to size. Really a tight fit. So no issues? What other batteries were you thinking of? Gil

1 - 20 of 21 Posts