Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a quick question about installing a battery tender using the alligator clips that a lot of them come with. If I use these clips instead of the ring leads, do I still need to unscrew and remove the leads that connect the battery to the motorcycle? Or can I just leave them screwed in and connect the clips to the those bolts? Also, while I'm asking, does anyone know how long a battery (Scout in particular) will last before it dies? I know the manual says to attach it to a charger if it's going to be left for more than 4 weeks. How much riding would it take to recharge the battery?

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I had a quick question about installing a battery tender using the alligator clips that a lot of them come with. If I use these clips instead of the ring leads, do I still need to unscrew and remove the leads that connect the battery to the motorcycle? Or can I just leave them screwed in and connect the clips to the those bolts? Also, while I'm asking, does anyone know how long a battery (Scout in particular) will last before it dies? I know the manual says to attach it to a charger if it's going to be left for more than 4 weeks. How much riding would it take to recharge the battery?
No need to remove the leads.
The other questions are like asking someone how long they will stay in love..... it all depends on the extenuating circumstances.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Im no expert butthis is what my long time mechanic has told me :
Gator clips are fine but why not just make it permanent?
No need to remove other wiring but its tight in there.
Battery life is never the same. In the heat of Arizona a year or two was all I ever got out of any battery. Here in Iowa I keep all my batteries on some type of charger. My diesel truck is plugged in all winter. My RV battery is in the basement on a battery tender all winter and can last 5 + years. My Chief is on a tender in the shop all winter. Should last many good years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it, thanks guys! I don't want to use the ring leads because the tender may only be attached for a week or two. I don't want to go through the process of attaching a more permanent solution for what may be a very short time.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Got it, thanks guys! I don't want to use the ring leads because the tender may only be attached for a week or two. I don't want to go through the process of attaching a more permanent solution for what may be a very short time.
I think you might have it backwards... put the permanent rings on the battery and then they are always there for use.
Most 'good' dealers install them no charge on every new bike.
It never hurts to put the Battery Tenders on the battery to keep it at peak operating condition.
Never can tell when it might rain for two weeks when you can't ride or some such scenario. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Be aware that the alligator clips only contact on the tips of the teeth and over time, electrolytic action between the two metals will corrode the tip. This results in a reduction in conductivity. Left for a long period, this can diminish the effectiveness of the battery tender.
Permanent connections are much better.

·
Founding member
2,192 Posts
As for length of ride to recharge the battery, in most normal situations a 10 minute ride should be sufficient; however, it's always better to tell your wife or significant other that you need to take the bike out for an hour or two every couple of days to reduce the risk of needing a battery next week. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you might have it backwards... put the permanent rings on the battery and then they are always there for use.
Most 'good' dealers install them no charge on every new bike.
It never hurts to put the Battery Tenders on the battery to keep it at peak operating condition.
Never can tell when it might rain for two weeks when you can't ride or some such scenario. :)
Oh, I see what you're saying. I didn't think of that. That way both the leads for the tender and the leads for the bike are attached and the tender can be connected when necessary. Will definitely do that, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
I use the "pigtail" connector under the seat to connect my Battery Tender. I be curious to know the actual name of this type of connector.
BatteryTenderConnectors.jpg

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I always have a tender and permanent connection. You will get much more life out of your battery. Be very careful using the alligator clips, too easy to have them touch the ecm and fry it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had them put mine on my bike, I could not get the pigtail flat and get the seat back on. My dealership made this work for me. It runs on the left side of the seat and is easy to access.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,821 Posts
I have several vehicles and all have permanently mounted except one with clips. My Chevy Silverado has those goofy side mount cables so the clips are the only way I can do it since the battery doesn't have anything on top like most other batteries I've seen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts