Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, everyone, I'm a new Indian motorcycle owner (2016 Scout) and new to these forums. Is there a battery tender that is recommended? I prefer a Deltran type that senses battery voltage and only charges the battery when needed. The motorcycle will be in storage for up to 3 or 4 months.

Thank you

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
You already named what I use. Battery Tender by Deltran. I have three of the Battery Tender Junior. Two for motor cycles, and a 3rd that I keep on my zero turn mower. All for 4 to 6 months at a time.

·
Bronze member
2,235 Posts
I got my Battery Tender Plus from my local Costco. Around 40 bucks. When the 1st one broke & stopped working after 3 years, I took it back and they gave me another. Not bad.

Reactions: LongRoadHome

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I also got the BT plus, for two reasons.
I use it alternately between the motorcycle and a couple vintage cars, the 1.25 amp power is better for the cars while still being low enough for the motorcycle.
It also has temperature compensation, for changes between winter to summer. It can get to less than -10° to over 100° here. The motorcycle usually gets put away for a while both times.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Greetings, everyone, I'm a new Indian motorcycle owner (2016 Scout) and new to these forums. Is there a battery tender that is recommended? I prefer a Deltran type that senses battery voltage and only charges the battery when needed. The motorcycle will be in storage for up to 3 or 4 months.

Thank you
..........a Battery Tender is a Battery Tender......Warranty is what matters....

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I use a "Battery Tender Plus" [1.25 amp,trickle charger] to keep my batteries up when the vehicle is setting or goes down from setting.In fact,I have two of em and use both!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I likely have over 50 Battery Tender branded battery tenders. For the past 10 years, I keep either a Battery Tender Jr or Battery Tender Plus on several motorycycles, several tractors, several large earthmoving peices of equipment and trucks. If it has a battery, it gets a tender, period. Most of my equipment sit for months (some years) at a time not used, based on my historcal battery expenses, I have saved several thousand in batterys over that time by using BTs. I have had very good luck with BTs, only one has gone bad over the years, and it was used outdoors unprotected for a few years before it died (outdoor use is not recommended). I would say I have doubled the life of most batteries as I have some 8D equipment batteries that are over 8 years old that still test good and crank the equipment. My wifes tractor battery is origanl and 10 years old...

I have tried other brands also, have owned a CTEK that was great but expensive and several cheaper brands that boiled the battery dry after a few months... In my experience, hard to beat the price point and service of a BT Jr... the big box stores at times put the BT jr. double pack on sale during the holidays for around 50% off, so I buy a a few replacements every year but end up giving them away as Christmas presents the following year as most of my BTs still work...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the info and it's looking like a BT Jr. is what I'm going to get.

I've never worked on a motorcycle and wondering if connecting the quick-connect lead onto the battery is a DIY project or best left to a dealership tech?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I also got the BT plus, for two reasons.
I use it alternately between the motorcycle and a couple vintage cars, the 1.25 amp power is better for the cars while still being low enough for the motorcycle.
It also has temperature compensation, for changes between winter to summer. It can get to less than -10° to over 100° here. The motorcycle usually gets put away for a while both times.
I have been using the JRs for decades. Currently have 3 cars ,2 bikes plugged in full time. Zero problems.They show green on all stuff. Battery life is increased quite a bit.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Thank you for all the info and it's looking like a BT Jr. is what I'm going to get.

I've never worked on a motorcycle and wondering if connecting the quick-connect lead onto the battery is a DIY project or best left to a dealership tech?
My SDH has a quick connect lead already in place from the factory.So I suspect,yours' does too!!

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
697 Posts
I got my Battery Tender Plus from my local Costco. Around 40 bucks. When the 1st one broke & stopped working after 3 years, I took it back and they gave me another. Not bad.
Costco's battery tender is a 3 ampere, have one and a 3/4 ampere I bought years ago and a sears diehard which I believe is made by battery tender. Don't realy need another 3 amp but the 3 amp from Costco is the same price as a 3/4 or one amp elsewhere. Next one I buy will do more than just lead acid, will check the one at Costco now does more than just lead.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Thank you
[/QUOTE
I just bought the

BatteryMINDer 2012-AGM - AGM Batteries Only - 12 Volt-2 Amp Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, and Battery Desulfator for Odyssey, Optima AGM ...
I ordered it through Indian. It was a little expensive but in my opinion, worth the money. It is a smart trickle charger, maintainer, and goes through a few different stages as it charges so it is not harsh on your battery.
I also bought ..the Indian Motorcycle Jump Pack for peace of mind while on the road. These two items come in handy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just bought the

BatteryMINDer 2012-AGM - AGM Batteries Only - 12 Volt-2 Amp Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, and Battery Desulfator for Odyssey, Optima AGM ...
I ordered it through Indian. It was a little expensive but in my opinion, worth the money. It is a smart trickle charger, maintainer, and goes through a few different stages as it charges so it is not harsh on your battery.
I also bought ..the Indian Motorcycle Jump Pack for peace of mind while on the road. These two items come in handy.
OEM part # 2830530 (jump pack)
Item # 2830531 (Battery MINDer)

·
Registered
46 Posts

Thank you

Thank you
Deltran

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you look at Deltran's website, they make one that looks exactly like the one Indian sells, just a different color/badging. I checked the specs between both and they are identical. The Deltan is less than half the cost. That is is what I bought 5 years ago. Same battery...no issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts