Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my old bike go and didn't take the battery tender pigtail off. Is there any reason why I shouldn't put a cigarette lighter plug on my tender power supply and just plug it into the accessory outlet?

·
Registered
64 Posts
If your accessory outlet is still active with the key out, then it should work just fine. If it shuts off when you shut the bike off, it won't charge. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
my 2014 Chieftain has one attached from the factory, just pull ur left cover off (by ur knee), you'll see it!

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
I installed a battery tender lead that I can also use for a heated vest. I didnt see a SAE type lead in the wiring harness either. My bike is #610.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just bought my Chieftain on 5/31......maybe its something they just started installing???
Its a true Battery Tender connection and located underneath the L H snap on cover behind the rear cylinder head

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
Can you post a picture of this connection? It's a SAE type of lead too? Thanks

I just bought my Chieftain on 5/31......maybe its something they just started installing???
Its a true Battery Tender connection and located underneath the L H snap on cover behind the rear cylinder head

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Vic. Mine definitely does not have it installed. I'm heading back to the shop tomorrow for 500 mile service and I will ask them, but I can do it myself later, or I may just keep the cig lighter attachment that I made. It was on overnight and seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think some of the dealerships are deciding to install the pigtail when assembling the bike.

Just one of those nice to have and easy to do during the assembly.

So hense, some have it, some dont

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have a power outlet/cigarette lighter which isn't switched, be careful. Leaving anything connected can discharge the battery pretty quickly. My previous bike was setup that way and I would park it in the garage and occasionally forget to turn off the GPS only to find it a few days later with a dead battery (which ruined the batter). I finally installed a relay board connected switched by the ignition which turns off all the accessories (Outlet, GPS tracking transponder, seat heater, etc).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts