Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2016 Indian Vintage. I have read that a 5-AMP / 12 Volt charger is recommended for this bike.

I was in COSTCO today and they have a Battery-Tender 4.5-AMP / 12 Volt charger-maintainer on sale for for $36.99 which is significantly cheaper than the 5-AMP version.

Can I use this one as the Amperage is lower with no problems?

thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,389 Posts
I have a stock 2016 Indian Vintage. I have read that a 5-AMP / 12 Volt charger is recommended for this bike.

I was in COSTCO today and they have a Battery-Tender 4.5-AMP / 12 Volt charger-maintainer on sale for for $36.99 which is significantly cheaper than the 5-AMP version.

thanks in advance!
A lower amperage is a!ways better. This will be perfect fly fine. I have used Battery Tends products for years now and very happy with them. You are good to go. Dean

Reactions: Baron58

·
Registered
495 Posts

thanks in advance!
I buy mine at Harbor Freight for about 10.00 have mine for over 2 years and works fine

·
Rider
943 Posts

thanks in advance!
This might be too picky but you use charger in your post. You really want a battery maintainer. I use this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQ1F7PM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recommend getting one that can be used on all types of batteries. From the description of the maintainer.

2 amp battery charger and maintainer is compatible with any AGM, GEL, or WET automotive or marine 12V battery

This is just my opinion for what its worth. JM .02

·
Rider
1,055 Posts
I 2nd harbor freight
Had mine for several years
Have 2 and run one on the quad
No problems your still buying china

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have tenders on all my vintage cars and bikes. All have a charge rate of 1.0-1.5 amps. which seems to work just fine on a wide variety of batteries. The oldest tender is a "Schumacher", which has maintained the battery of my '72 FLH Harley for over ten years.

·
Silver member
4,805 Posts
I feel bad for this horse. It's gotten the shit beat out of it so many times.

For many years.... Batt Tender Jr. on Indian, Harley's, Ferris zero turn. So far over the years no bad, all good.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,389 Posts
I 2nd harbor freight
Had mine for several years
Have 2 and run one on the quad
No problems your still buying china
Keep an eye on those Harbor Freight chargers. I have used them in the past and for some time had no complaints. After a bit of time they start dropping the applied voltage. These types of chargers are a constant voltage charger that only puts out about a .25 amp max output. To actually apply a charge to the 12 volt battery you need to put out about 14.2 to 14.4 volts. That is what your alternator are set for to put a charge back into those batteries. At best I have seen the brand new Harbor Freight chargers show about 14 volts. As they start to deteriorate that voltage will drop to 10 or 11 volts. That means that the only charge to maintain your battery would only be applied when your battery voltage drops to 8 to 9 volts. By then the damage to the battery is already done. Those charger/maintainers are easy enough to check. Just plug one in and measure the voltage across the clips with no battery attached. If the voltage is less than 14 volts then the charger is doing no good.

These units are different that the ones that other places offer. Some of the better units will add a conditioner phase which pulses the charge to the battery plates. This helps reduce the amount of sulfation that can build on the lead plates and reduce the total capacity of the battery. They also will top charge to the battery and then go into a maintain mode. Which means that they will not apply any voltage to the battery until it drops to a specific voltage. These units are not made to charge a low battery but to add a slight top charge and maintain the battery at peak voltage. It is a case of you get what you pay for. Dean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts