Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been doing some looking online for an alternative battery to what comes stock from Polaris and I can't seem to find anything aftermarket that specifically matches their part number of 4014770. Even though it's supposed to be brand new, and I pulled it from the bike for winter (garage isn't insulated), AND kept it on a tender it's apparently still sh*t the bed soon I'm already in the market for a new one. On the Indian website the battery lists for a ridiculous 150 dollars so I figured it would be good if we could compile a list of batteries (lead-acid, lithium, etc) from other manufacturers to help all us new Scout owners out as it seems 2015 vehicle lists for batteries aren't all the way up to date. I would hope that this isn't some special battery size Polaris had commission just for the this specific bike although I guess I shouldn't be surprised if it is. I'm still doing some looking on sites like EarthX to try and find comparable dimensions but if you all happen to already know something, by all means post up!

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
So I've been doing some looking online for an alternative battery to what comes stock from Polaris and I can't seem to find anything aftermarket that specifically matches their part number of 4014770. Even though it's supposed to be brand new, and I pulled it from the bike for winter (garage isn't insulated), AND kept it on a tender it's apparently still sh*t the bed soon I'm already in the market for a new one. On the Indian website the battery lists for a ridiculous 150 dollars so I figured it would be good if we could compile a list of batteries (lead-acid, lithium, etc) from other manufacturers to help all us new Scout owners out as it seems 2015 vehicle lists for batteries aren't all the way up to date. I would hope that this isn't some special battery size Polaris had commission just for the this specific bike although I guess I shouldn't be surprised if it is. I'm still doing some looking on sites like EarthX to try and find comparable dimensions but if you all happen to already know something, by all means post up!
Is there no warranty coverage on the battery for at least one year?

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Sure would hope that the battery would have at least a one year warranty on it. Once I do end up having to go with a new battery, I will want to find one that has better cold cranking power this Indian battery.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I've had good luck matching applications with the folks at East Penn Manufacturing (family owned company that makes batteries among other things). It might be worth your time to contact them with the spec's on the Scout battery. Here is their email address: [email protected] and phone: (610) 682-6361. Let us know what you find out.

BTW...Yuasa now lists a maintenance free battery (an AGM battery) for our Scouts as P/N YTX14AH-BS with a 210 CCA.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I already got a Libo battery set aside for the Scout it is a 8 cell Lipo battery that wt 1.5 lb and it is small but big cranking power. I have it in my Hayabusa, ZX6R, both of my Honda Groms, RX7 car and now one will go into the Scout. Cost me $80 ea shipped from China.

here is the size for compare to a stock Grom battery

side view

Front view

measurements are 4" long, 2.75" height, 2.25" wide, and the best part is it comes with cables that are quick disconnect.
Had them in my Hayabusa motorcycle for three months and also in my ZX6R motorcycle the same amount of time with no trickle charge and the bike just started right up.

these lipo batteries are 4S2P 26650 battery pack, 13.2V 4.6Ah and like I said the biggest part is the wt savings

·
Registered
738 Posts
I already got a Libo battery set aside for the Scout it is a 8 cell Lipo battery that wt 1.5 lb and it is small but big cranking power. I have it in my Hayabusa, ZX6R, both of my Honda Groms, RX7 car and now one will go into the Scout. Cost me $80 ea shipped from China.
Cisco, just want to make sure I understand you correctly: You use this exact size battery in your RX7 car also??? If so, that's pretty amazing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cisco, just want to make sure I understand you correctly: You use this exact size battery in your RX7 car also??? If so, that's pretty amazing.
There the same as these batteries that will start any and most cars and trucks which I also own and carry with me in my motorcycle carry bag to help stranded motorist who have battery problems with their car.
I carry a antigravity micro start battery where ever I go just to help out people "cages"
Micro-Start Personal Power Supply (PPS)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can you use a deltran trickle charger with them?
Not sure why you want to use a trickle charger with those Lipo batteries since they hold their charge for a whole year or more plus if you really want to charge those batteries it would be better to get the right Lipo battery charger since these batteries are about 13.2 volts. I do know that the Battery tender JR works in charging the battery and also the battery tender PLUS works.

this what the battery looks like next to my Kawi ZX6R battery

Wt of ZX6R battery, 6.5 lbs

Wt of my Chinese Lipo battery, 1.5 lbs

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dude, what do you do with all the karma points you're getting?!? You rock, even if you dress funny.
I'm going to cash in my points when I find a Southern Bell sort of like Kelly Pickler southern style who can sing country music, can dance, can hunt, can fish, likes motorcycles, likes shooting guns, can eat the Hawaiian type of food I eat, is a polite southern bell around my friends but a bob cat in the bed room.

What you mean I dress funny, never stare down a Scottish/Irish/Hawaiian/Filipino guy esp if he is of Macomber blood line. Yes I like country music, bag pipe music, and all the modern rock music even Mozart

Here is a link to my family roots on the Macomber side, Aloha and Mahalo
RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Dowling Family Genealogy
Families of Old Hawaii: Na Haole

G

·
I'm going to cash in my points when I find a Southern Bell sort of like Kelly Pickler southern style who can sing country music, can dance, can hunt, can fish, likes motorcycles, likes shooting guns, can eat the Hawaiian type of food I eat, is a polite southern bell around my friends but a bob cat in the bed room.

What you mean I dress funny, never stare down a Scottish/Irish/Hawaiian/Filipino guy esp if he is of Macomber blood line. Yes I like country music, bag pipe music, and all the modern rock music even Mozart

RUN DUDE ! A black cat is about to pass in front of you!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey Cisco, got a link to those batteries? I'd love to get a LiFePO, but don't feel like paying Shorai or Antigravity money for one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey Cisco, got a link to those batteries? I'd love to get a LiFePO, but don't feel like paying Shorai or Antigravity money for one.
My friend is Chinese so when he went to China looked at those batteries before buying to make sure we were getting what we wanted as far as specs go and we had to pay custom inspection and Haz waste fees since these were going to be shipped "air-cargo back to the USA". Everything is stopped by US customs and inspected so we had to wait longer to get our batteries plus the deal was great since we bought a total of 15 batteries. So if you are going to buy one it is not worth the buy but if you buy such as a group buy the price goes down. We bought our batteries from Keeppower.com.cn.

My friend had work in a deal to have the cables and other covers made for it and this what they look like before the plastic and cables are put on
4S2P A123 lifepo4 battery pack lithium iron phosphate packs

this is what we ordered and paid for 15 units
4S2PLiFePo4BatteryPack13.2V4.6Ah A123ANR26650M1AGRADEA US$70.00 15 US$1,050.00

There are other companies in China that make the same products and here are some of the other links to these companies
USD$98.09 A123 13.2V4.6AH Motorcycle Battery -4S2P - shenzhenosn

High Quality 13.2v 4.6ah Motorcycle Lifepo4 Battery A123 26650- High Quality 13.2v 4.6ah Motorcycle Lifepo4 Battery A123 26650 Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on au.alibaba.com

Like I said I do not speak Chinese so my friend did all the contacts and talking and getting the right product at the right price.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks, Cisco. Looks like I gotta pay big bucks for lipos.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Families of Old Hawaii: Na Haole

Cisco is this your riding gear?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cisco is this your riding gear?
No but this is, I always ride with my GoPro camera on, never know when someone is going to do something stupid or does a hit and run.

I only wear the Klit when I go to out and dates, makes my woman date find the hardware they need a lot easier.;)

GoPro or any action camera is my Video Witnes, never can take the ex-navy guy out of me

·
Registered
430 Posts
If I saw someone with Vietnam jungle battle fatigues, shin guards and face mask comin, I would totally get outta your way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts