Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum, but haven't really seen anything "recent" regarding a good replacement battery.

My 2015 Vintage still has the original battery. After reading so many posts regarding projected battery life, I'm playing it safe replacing my battery at this point in time.

The battery that seems to have been a popular choice is the "Wicked Start RG20L-WS". (See link below.)
Is this still the best choice, or should I consider another unit?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and/or suggestions. :)

Amazon.com: RG20L-WS Wicked Start 500+ CCA Battery; Harley 2014 Switchback; Part# 16L-BS, BTX20L-BS, ES20LBS, YTX20L-BS, 65989-97A/B/C: Automotive

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
So far both of my Indians appear to be in possession of a damn good battery. In my BMW's I've run the Odyssey PC 680 battery with to me great longevity. Don't know what Odyssey battery fits the 111 Indians but that's what I'll look into when the time comes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Be very careful when you go to remove the battery. YOU MUST remove the ground terminal BEFORE you touch the VCM which sits on top. I know because I killed a 2016 Vintage VCM by trying to take the VCM loose first. The entire wiring harness had to be replaced.

·
Bronze member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be very careful when you go to remove the battery. YOU MUST remove the ground terminal BEFORE you touch the VCM which sits on top. I know because I killed a 2016 Vintage VCM by trying to take the VCM loose first. The entire wiring harness had to be replaced.
OUCH!!!! Thanks for the tip!! I'll do as you suggest! :)

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Ge
I've searched the forum, but haven't really seen anything "recent" regarding a good replacement battery.

My 2015 Vintage still has the original battery. After reading so many posts regarding projected battery life, I'm playing it safe replacing my battery at this point in time.

The battery that seems to have been a popular choice is the "Wicked Start RG20L-WS". (See link below.)
Is this still the best choice, or should I consider another unit?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and/or suggestions. :)

Amazon.com: RG20L-WS Wicked Start 500+ CCA Battery; Harley 2014 Switchback; Part# 16L-BS, BTX20L-BS, ES20LBS, YTX20L-BS, 65989-97A/B/C: Automotive
Get the Yuasa =>

Yuasa YTX20HL Factory Activated AGM High Performance Battery - RevZilla

·
Rider
879 Posts
I'm the Odd man Out here..
I don't expect any MC Battery to live over 3 years around our place...
Course... I do Not do any "tending" etc... Leave 'em in in, Freezing, or Hot... When they Fail... I replace.. since the Chief takes the same Battery as most of the Harleys!!! I have a leg up, and keep one on the Shelf!!!
I buy really inexpensive AGM Batteries also... about 50 bucks is what I been Paying... and they do 3 years just as handily as more expensive models!!!!
YMMV

·
Bronze member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to go with the Yuasa from Revzilla. Always had good support from that vendor. And yes, I already have a Battery Tender. Just recently bought the 4 bank unit. (See link below).

022-0148-DL-WH

·
Silver member
3,562 Posts
Hum I’ve have a 2015 Vintage with the original battery also, maybe time for a new one. I’d rather change early than have one die.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,901 Posts
Yuasa is a very good battery. Also consider the Battery Tender battery, it is a DEKA, also an excellent battery, available at Batteries and Bulbs.
I didn't realize the Battery Tender Battery was a Deka. What the CCA for a replacement on these 111 bikes? And what is the CCA in the OEM if anyone has looked? I know I'm certainly going for more when the time comes. Which should be sooner rather than later I fear. Like when I'm far from home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts