Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my bike I believe the voltage reads at 12 but when I start riding, I've on the display read out that the volts are jumping around between the low 11's up to the high 15's and occasionally into 16 range. Is this normal? Bad battery? Something else?

·
Bronze member
4,870 Posts
When I start my bike I believe the voltage reads at 12 but when I start riding, I've on the display read out that the volts are jumping around between the low 11's up to the high 15's and occasionally into 16 range. Is this normal? Bad battery? Something else?
The voltage regulator is supposed to maintain between 14.2 - 14.6 volts. If it is jumping all over it is usually a sign of a bad regulator. This was pretty common on bikes prior to 2017

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,274 Posts
I agree, sounds like voltage regulator going bad. I would also check your battery connections first but definitely sounds like a voltage reg. At idle mine will show about 14.1 and move up to 14.4 when off idle. Dean

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The regulators have been known to fail, mine was replaced under warranty at almost two years. Mine was sitting above 16 volts, which can overload the battery.

If you are buying another one check out Rick's for a replacement. They have a reputation for longevity over OEM.

·
Bronze member
3,566 Posts
A fully charged battery should show a 12.6 volt reading,engine and accessories off.[2.1 volts per cell X 6 cells] Engine running,you should see atleast a 14.2 volt reading,not to exceed 14.6 volts,to charge the battery,plus run electrical components used in the system,although the OM says it could go as high as 14.8 volts which is actually alittle too high cause it will boil the battery,and take out electrical components.Anyways,since retorquing
my battery and ground connections, I'm now back in the ball park with a constant 14.4 -14.5 reading instead of the occassional 14.6-14.7 voltage reading I was seeing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The regulators have been known to fail, mine was replaced under warranty at almost two years. Mine was sitting above 16 volts, which can overload the battery.

If you are buying another one check out Rick's for a replacement. They have a reputation for longevity over OEM.

Thanks a lot for the tip!

·
Bronze member
3,566 Posts

Ricks' is now located about 5 miles from my place.Infact,I had done business with him 10 or 12 years ago,but at his other place further up the road.Then I recently went there looking for him and found that his place was gone,thinking he had retired, NOT knowing he had moved until I just read your post.And yes,he has an excellent reputation which is why I did business with him a number of years ago.Anyways,you just made my day,and thank you for the tip!! (y) Dave!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts