Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had battery changed. Now I have to keep it on charge all the time when it parked. I have checked all connections. I returned to the shop that installed the battery and was told they unplugged vcm when they did it. Everything works ok while I’m riding. The battery will go down overnight. Has anyone have an idea what else to check

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
It sounds like either the battery is faulty or you have a voltage leak somewhere.

Take one lead off the battery overnight and see if it still drops voltage. If so, there's your problem.

Voltage leaks aren't so easy to find. It might be related to the battery install so check to see if a wire has been crushed against surrounding metal.

Also check any power outlets that operate while the bike is off. You don't say what bike you have and different bikes have power outlets in different places. I'm pretty sure my Springfield's power outlet in the saddlebag operates when the bike is off but I don't know about fairing bikes.

Another thing is to start pulling fuses to see if the voltage still drops. That will isolate a particular circuit to chase up.

There was a common voltage leak about two years ago for hard bag bikes. If we locked the bags after turning off the bike, that locking action would wake up the electronics but no dash lights showing. That would drop voltage over time. However, that was fixed with a reflash and should not be happening to any bike these days.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has the bike been updated for draining the battery. If so do you have a meter to check the charging system? The bike should be putting out 14.4 to 14.8 volts DC then check the voltage for volts AC if it is more than .120 volts the a diode in the regulator is leaking and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like either the battery is faulty or you have a voltage leak somewhere.

Take one lead off the battery overnight and see if it still drops voltage. If so, there's your problem.

Voltage leaks aren't so easy to find. It might be related to the battery install so check to see if a wire has been crushed against surrounding metal.

Also check any power outlets that operate while the bike is off. You don't say what bike you have and different bikes have power outlets in different places. I'm pretty sure my Springfield's power outlet in the saddlebag operates when the bike is off but I don't know about fairing bikes.

Another thing is to start pulling fuses to see if the voltage still drops. That will isolate a particular circuit to chase up.

There was a common voltage leak about two years ago for hard bag bikes. If we locked the bags after turning off the bike, that locking action would wake up the electronics but no dash lights showing. That would drop voltage over time. However, that was fixed with a reflash and should not be happening to any bike these days.
15 rm I will check the wires. And disconnect pos. Wire on battery this the first problem I’ve had. With 35000 miles thanks for replying

1 - 4 of 4 Posts