Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it happened, I have a 15 chieftain with 47,000 miles. Pulled it from the man cave and hit the power button and it lit up, then I hit the starter and everything went out. Bought a new battery and all is good now. Thought almost 5 years of battery life was damn good, bike still runs like a champ and the engine is bulletproof. Best bike I have ever had!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Batteries are funny. I changed my stock battery after 2 years. The one I replaced it with lasted a little over a year. And yes, these are strong bikes.

·
Bronze member
3,039 Posts
I have mine on a tender... will see how that works out.. but I don't have the original battery... when I picked it up the front Tyre (for you Geoff) was low... so I pulled over to my car shut it off and got my jacket and helmet out... went to restart... nothing...mechanics came out pushed it back in... asked them what's wrong.. battery we just put a new one in..

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Agreed no rhyme or reason to how long they will last these days. If it makes it I toss mine beginning of 4th season always. Last time I got jammed up was about 18yrs ago in Taos NM. That one was 4 yrs old. That’s how I started the 3 yr routine so far so good. And I know that doesn’t mean shit as to when the next failure comes lol

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
i have had a battery last less than 1 yr an had them last 5 or so. it's just gonna be that one thing we can't maintain an be certain of . The worst part of it is seems always happen when you don't want it to happen.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
When I owned a Harley they recommended replacing the battery every two years. Is there a replacement interval recommended for the Indian?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
When I owned a Harley they recommended replacing the battery every two years. Is there a replacement interval recommended for the Indian?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not that I’ve heard of I’m going 3 like my Harleys and hope for the best

·
Rider
811 Posts
Bought my 2016 Vintage new in April 2017. Keep it on a tender when I’m not riding. Also it’s in my heated garage in winter. So far, so good.

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
well it happened, I have a 15 chieftain with 47,000 miles. Pulled it from the man cave and hit the power button and it lit up, then I hit the starter and everything went out. Bought a new battery and all is good now. Thought almost 5 years of battery life was damn good, bike still runs like a champ and the engine is bulletproof. Best bike I have ever had!
After 5 years and over 17k miles, the OE battery on #37 gave up the ghost. I replaced it with a Yuasa battery, I was very tempted by the Wicked Start with 500 CCA but I wanted a battery made in the USA. There wasn't much price difference and the OE battery gave me 5 years worth of service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Prior post said "....very tempted by the Wicked Start with 500 CCA"

I have some ignorant question(s):
do you mean part number: RG20L-WS obtainable as amazon_item: B073ZLJ945

Assuming the above item is what is meant
Does the above item fit in a 2016 indian Chieftain?

If either (or both) are false - what are the right part numbers for that high of a CCA in a 2016 Chieftain.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I have mine on a tender... will see how that works out.. but I don't have the original battery... when I picked it up the front Tyre (for you Geoff) was low... so I pulled over to my car shut it off and got my jacket and helmet out... went to restart... nothing...mechanics came out pushed it back in... asked them what's wrong.. battery we just put a new one in..
Yes @Geoff-3 not only drives on the wrong side of the road AND upside down, he can't spell either. Tire Jeff or reeeee.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Yes @Geoff-3 not only drives on the wrong side of the road AND upside down, he can't spell either. Tire Jeff or reeeee.
Yes I can ,I am bilingual so by spelling TYRE as TIRE that is 100% proof that living up side down and driving on the correct side of the road is multi user friendly lol :rolleyes::p
by the way Darren , I love you Americans too .!!!!

·
Silver member
3,319 Posts
I'm almost 4 years with my Scout 60 battery. I don't baby it but will put it on a tender if it sits for a few weeks in the winter. I ride it all winter if it is high 30s and above. Seems to still be going strong.

·
Bronze member
3,039 Posts
Yes I can ,I am bilingual so by spelling TYRE as TIRE that is 100% proof that living up side down and driving on the correct side of the road is multi user friendly lol :rolleyes::p
by the way Darren , I love you Americans too .!!!!
I'll roll with tyre… but if you ever start spelling defense like defence… I'm out...;)

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts

If either (or both) are false - what are the right part numbers for that high of a CCA in a 2016 Chieftain.
This is what I was considering. This battery should fit all TS111 engine bikes.

Amazon.com: Renegade RG20L-WS 12 Volt 20 AH Ultra Premium Wicked Start 500+ CCA Battery: Automotive

If you go to the top of the page, left side, see where it stays "tags", click on that and you'll see other threads with the topic of batteries.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I'll roll with tyre… but if you ever start spelling defense like defence… I'm out...;)
It is so hard being born upside down following the English way of spelling and having to walk on to roof instead of the floor makes it hard to live a normal life down under,,I guess that might be the reason we ride and drive on the correct Sid eof the road and spell Tire TYRE lol. This is just my defence and don't wish anyone too take offence lol. Good luck . If it was not for Darren , aka 17NDNSTL starting all this I would be under the radar and free as a bird lol :cool::(

·
Rider
737 Posts
All of this distorted language came from Americans trying to make the Queen’s English phonetic - and therefore supposedly making the language easier to learn...

This is very interesting when the word ‘phonetic’ wasn’t even converted to one that was phonetic!!

C’mon guys, either stick with the program, or leave the words alone.

Sheesh!! ;):)

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,336 Posts

Had Excellent Results with my Wicked Start RG20LS , although advertised as such there is nothing on the Battery itself that claims 500 CCA .. But still recommend it, as had 2 Years of Quick Starts Hot or Cold ..

WickedB1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,009 Posts
I also got four good years of service from my 2015 — replaced it at the start of the season from the proverbial “abundance of caution.” Nothing wrong with it and it fired up my bike every time, including after the bike would sit for a couple of weeks between storms here in Colorado over those four winters (unheated garage and no battery tender attached). Murphy’s Law says it would go out in the middle of nowhere on one of our 800mi days, and after reading these posts I’m glad I did! - I also went with the Yuasa.

·
Registered
150 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts