Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we may have an issue with battery life on our bikes.

My bike is now 8 months old
and I’m having to replace another battery. Servicing dealer has agreed to replace it no cost to me.

All 6 of their floor model Challengers(new) have had their batteries replaced at this dealership.

Apparently Indian states you “need/should” keep a battery tender plugged into the bike when not riding. The factory states you “could/might” have up to a 4 milliamperes draw on the battery after shutdown. This is very low but can still drain the battery.

My bike has shown an unpowered state of 12.2 or 12.3V constantly between riding. Normal 14V while running.

Interestingly, we powered up every model on the floor(all 6) and they all showed 12.5 or less. Most showed...12.2 or 12.3V.

Curious what you guys are showing for battery voltage while not on a tender. My bike will not sit off of a tender for more than 2 or 3 weeks without discharging the battery.

I’ve read that some of the other big touring Indians have had issues with battery discharge as well.

Sure hope Indian/Polaris can “address” this issue soon. My Harleys have always been able to sit for weeks at a time with no battery issues.

Again, please let me know how you are doing with your Challenger and its battery life. Thank you.

·
5 years +
155 Posts

and I’m having to replace another battery. Servicing dealer has agreed to replace it no cost to me.

All 6 of their floor model Challengers(new) have had their batteries replaced at this dealership.

Apparently Indian states you “need/should” keep a battery tender plugged into the bike when not riding. The factory states you “could/might” have up to a 4 milliamperes draw on the battery after shutdown. This is very low but can still drain the battery.

My bike has shown an unpowered state of 12.2 or 12.3V constantly between riding. Normal 14V while running.

Interestingly, we powered up every model on the floor(all 6) and they all showed 12.5 or less. Most showed...12.2 or 12.3V.

Curious what you guys are showing for battery voltage while not on a tender. My bike will not sit off of a tender for more than 2 or 3 weeks without discharging the battery.

I’ve read that some of the other big touring Indians have had issues with battery discharge as well.

Sure hope Indian/Polaris can “address” this issue soon. My Harleys have always been able to sit for weeks at a time with no battery issues.

Again, please let me know how you are doing with your Challenger and its battery life. Thank you.
I was told that due to all the electronics that there is a higher draw when the bike is on and not running and to keep a battery tender connected. There is also a test procedure for parasitic draw in the shop manual for the Challenger have the tech perform this to see if it is within specs. Hope this helps

·
Registered
597 Posts

Went to start my bike a month ago and got got this code "C2369" Data Valid but Below Normal Operating Range. I googled it and found on a Victory forum to put bike on the battery tender. I did it for a couple of hours and she started right up. Went to the dealer and he couldn't find anything other than headlight fault. I put in an Eagle headlight. So far so good no problems, dealer also said errors we get they don't always show on their end.

Now I try to start it when I don't ride I do get out at least once or twice a week. I haven't put her back on the tender yet.

·
Silver member
4,987 Posts
4 milliamps seems high to me unless you are locking your security system when the bike is off. Ie, you live in an apartment complex or something like that.

I would think the only thing drawing on the battery would be like a milliamp that would be engineered into the bike to keep the time and date function current on the ride command.

With that said, I always tender my bike if it is going to sit more than a week or so. Otherwise, I don't bother. I figure the stronger the battery the better off all the components around the start-up, like the starter, and things will last longer with full voltage when starting. BTW, mine will register 12.8-12.9 on a cold start on or off the tender as long as is not off more than a week or so. After a week or more I will see 12.5-12.7, which still allows the bike to start just fine.

And I am happy to report, I am still on my original battery on a 2017 Springfield. And yes, I admit it is likely about time to change it out.

You figure 3+ years since purchase, a few months between manufacturing and shipment with a battery in it, and who knows how long 50 palettes and a 10K bulk purchased set of batteries are sitting in inventory prior to installation...

·
307 Posts
It sounds like a grounding issue between the primary and the frame? IMHO

·
Bronze member
3,971 Posts
These batteries are 20 Amp hour batteries. That means 20,000 milliamp hours. A 4 milliamperes draw will take 5000 hours to drain the battery or 208 days.

search the forum and you will see similar comments about the batteries on all the Indian models.

These are the reasons people have poor battery life.

1. The battery was old at the factory and not properly charged.
2. The bike sat for a long time at the dealer with a discharged battery
3. People using trickle chargers that will destroy a battery.
4. Not using a battery tender designed for AGM batteries. There is a big difference between the run of the mill (Walltrash, Harbour China) tenders and good ones. Most battery tenders for cars will not work correctly for motorcycles as they use AGM verses the liquid lead acid type in car.

·
Rider
842 Posts
Try this : measure your battery voltage at the tender plug before you start your bike. Then turn on the bike and wait for the screen that shows the battery voltage without starting the bike. Mine shows about a .5-.7v drop from the computers booting up. If, for some reason, a system didn't shut down completely, the battery would run down pretty fast.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer has it and are checking for parasitic draw. I’ll know something in the next few days. Looks like these bikes may be a little “sensitive” when it comes to voltage use.

·
Bronze member
1,474 Posts
These batteries are 20 Amp hour batteries. That means 20,000 milliamp hours. A 4 milliamperes draw will take 5000 hours to drain the battery or 208 days.

search the forum and you will see similar comments about the batteries on all the Indian models.

These are the reasons people have poor battery life.

1. The battery was old at the factory and not properly charged.
2. The bike sat for a long time at the dealer with a discharged battery
3. People using trickle chargers that will destroy a battery.
4. Not using a battery tender designed for AGM batteries. There is a big difference between the run of the mill (Walltrash, Harbour China) tenders and good ones. Most battery tenders for cars will not work correctly for motorcycles as they use AGM verses the liquid lead acid type in car.
Well done Baron.....you covered ALL the bases here. #3 is important.......and a "silent" battery killer!!! (y)

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
My Challenger has never been on a tender and now approx. 10 months old. No battery problems at all. That said, they are small batteries and subject to many variables that can impact life and performance. I have seen many 1-year-old batteries fail.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10 months old? You must have gotten one of the first ones ever sold. I bought mine in November and it was the first one sold in Tennessee. When I spoke to Indian they said mine was one of the first 25 sold in the U.S.

FTR(no pun intended 😂), my first battery was replaced when the bike was less than two months old and had approximately 500 miles on it. The bike is now 8 months old with approximately 1900 miles on it. This is the second new battery. If I don’t keep it on a tender it will discharge the battery in 2-3 weeks sitting.

I simply do not believe that this is normal. I have had no other issues and never any codes, hiccups, running issues, etc...

I’ve owned dozens of bikes in the last 40 years and never had one eat batteries like this one. Still love the bike and have no plans to get rid of it. It is STILL the best Bagger for the money. Period.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
10 months old? You must have gotten one of the first ones ever sold. I bought mine in November and it was the first one sold in Tennessee. When I spoke to Indian they said mine was one of the first 25 sold in the U.S.

FTR(no pun intended 😂), my first battery was replaced when the bike was less than two months old and had approximately 500 miles on it. The bike is now 8 months old with approximately 1900 miles on it. This is the second new battery. If I don’t keep it on a tender it will discharge the battery in 2-3 weeks sitting.

I simply do not believe that this is normal. I have had no other issues and never any codes, hiccups, running issues, etc...

I’ve owned dozens of bikes in the last 40 years and never had one eat batteries like this one. Still love the bike and have no plans to get rid of it. It is STILL the best Bagger for the money. Period.
Yes, It would seem that yours is having some sort of drain in the electrical system that is pulling your battery down. I have not seen anything from Polaris that might acknowledge such an issue as of yet. These bikes have very complex wiring and electronics, I would not be surprised if some sort of electrical issues did crop up.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Charlotte NC, but I am not original purchaser of this one.

·
Rider
980 Posts
I don't own a Challenger, but I keep my 2016 Chieftain on a tender as soon as I put it in the garage after riding it, I never know if I will be riding it the very next day or if it will have to sit 2 weeks before I get to ride again...life is always busy and things come up to prevent a much needed ride.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update. Service manager called today and said the battery was defective. They had charged it up more than once but it tested bad after sitting over the weekend. New battery installed(no charge). All diagnostics done. No parasitic draw. The bike is unpowered after 20 seconds. Battery voltage stable. The bike does pull about 1 volt on power up. This appears normal for these bikes. Example: 13.3v to 12.4v.
Looks like two bad batteries in 7 months of ownership. Real pleased with how my dealer responded. I have two great dealers within 2 hours. One is less than an hour away. Dealers are swamped with service right now. Thankful that they moved me to the front of the list to fix my problem.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
That's great that they actually found something. Hopefully your Indian will be fine for awhile. But I'd keep my fingers and toes crossed for awhile. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts