Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post up front.....I have a 2019 RM with less than 600 miles, 2nd RM. After having the 500 mile service I brought the bike home on a Friday. Went to start it Sunday for a ride and while it powered up, it wouldn't start. In fact the whole bike went dead, nothing worked. As I was getting my getting out both the batt charger and trickle charger I heard a click from the bike. I pressed the button and had power to the display. I hooked up the trickle and let it go for about an hour. I tried the start again and just a click, everything went dead. I pulled the trunk, seat and put the battery on a charger. It said it was at 71%. After 45 min it was a 95%. I tried a start and it started. I let it run for 10 min. Put everything back on (a real pain, need a better way to get at the BAT). About a hour later I was ready to head back out for a ride, and again, powered up, went to start, it clicked and everything went dead. Took the battery out and went to the dealer, they gave me a new one. Brought it home, installed it, started right up. Took a 200 mile ride the next day (SAT). Went on vacation up to the lake (no bike)

Came back a week later, went to go out this morning for a ride, you guessed it, same thing power up, then click nothing starts. Obviously not the battery, something draining it down I'm guessing. Anyone have this issue? Dealer closed today but will hopefully get it there tomorrow. I never had a issue with my previous RM or my Vintage. Nothing too, I didn't have a problem before the service. I'd go a week or two without riding and it would start right up.

Thoughts. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the exact same thing going on with my 2019 scout 60 too... have to find time and a way to get it to the dealer now since it won't fire up at all anymore. The manual says to replace the battery in a situation like this, but I'm thinking I will end up with the same results as you. I haven't made any modifications beside an led headlight and pipes with reflash about 4000 miles ago, with no issues until this weekend.

·
Founding member
2,239 Posts
Given it started exhibiting the problem after the service, I would suspect that a wire may have been pinched somewhere which is causing a short somewhere. It is also possible that the second battery may have had a bad cell (infant mortality failure).

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Check connections very carefully, including the frame grounds. These are known trouble spots.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks Jayred, I'll look over the wiring again more carefully for pinching. I hadn't thought of that since it is all under plastic sleeves...

·
Registered
263 Posts
You might want to read through my thread about a Roadmaster that doesn't feel like starting. Mine is an '18 with just shy of 10,000 miles.

link

Also, when you went to the lake for a week, did you leave your bike on the charger? Roadmasters have Ride Command, which I consider the best, most feature packed infotainment system of any vehicle I've owned, but it seems part of the price you pay for that is an unusually high battery drain when the bike is idle for a few days. Your story convinces me that the first battery wasn't working right, but the second might actually be okay, and the lack of the trickle charger is the only issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts